F800 Pro GPS issues with Freelander 2 ( LR2 )

Adeuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here and have found the site very useful in deciding to buy the 2 channel F800 pro, which was fitted at the weekend.

The fitting (hardwire) last weekend was reasonably straight forward.

However, I am having problems with the unit connecting to GPS. It is fitted in a 2013 Land Rover Freelander 2 (LR2) which has a heated windscreen. It is fitted just below the black mesh area that surrounds the rear view mirror/rain sensor mount, just to the right of the mirror mount and slightly above the level of the mirror.

It will very rarely connect to GPS. I have reset the unit countless times and it is running the latest firmware. In the few instances that it connect (usually after having rebooted/powered the unit with ignition on), it shows in the ap as a strong signal and stays locked until the ignition is switched off (at one time for over 25 miles). If I shut down and immediately restart (while stationary), it does not reconnect to GPS. My Iphones have never had any issues connecting to GPS when anywhere inside the car, even when placed against the windscreen.

My brother also has the F800 pro fitted in a Defender and a Range Rover Sport, both of which have the same heated windscreens, and does not have any issues

Before I try the unit in another position (removing the 3m tape :( ) or buying an external GPS aerial (which I would hope to avoid if only for the extra wiring into the unit), does anyone have any experience of fitting these in this make/model? Is this a known problem? Is it perhaps the unit?

Many thanks

if the connection is solid with good signal once connected, but has trouble connecting to begin with then it is possible you do have a faulty GPS and it's having cold start problems

Have you tried your F800Pro in your brother's vehicles? Or his in yours? I have a Ford SMAX which has the same heated window and I have no issues in connecting to GPS.

Thanks for the replies.

I’m meeting with him Saturday to try swapping the units. He’s going to lend me one for an extended trial.

Tonight when I left work, no GPS lock, until I was five minutes from home and it kicked in. Parked up for 20 minutes and then left. After 5 minutes driving it locked in, and stayed that way until I reached my destination 40 minutes later. 2 hours later when I left, no GPS lock. Only got a lock 35 minutes later, as I hit a heavy snow fall, and it stayed connected until I parked ??

I’m going to phone Thinkware support tomorrow

Back