F800 Pro Night Vision - Not Impressed

trialNerror

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently upgraded from an F200 to a F800 Pro for the sole purpose of adding Night Vision to parking mode, but have not been happy with the results thus far. I installed it last night and tested the motion detection parking mode.

Does Night Vision require some ambient light to work? For instance, if the vehicle is parked in a dark parking lot, with no lights, will the Night Vision pick anything up? I tested it in my garage with the garage door open and little ambient light outside. Although the camera detected motion, the video playback was completely black, not picking up any image. This goes for both the front and rear cameras. I'm also having issues with excessive audio feedback and white noise which I didn't experience on the F200.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with Night Vision on the F800 Pro? If I knew the results were going to be so poor, I never would've spent the money to upgrade to the F800 Pro. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Of course, if it was to work in pitch darkness you would need thermal vision.
CCTV cameras work active by deploying IR light so really its not pitch black where they opeate its just we cant see the wavelengths around 850 - 950 nano-meter, some CCTV cameras are now so sensitive they can do color mode all the day, but it do still require some light present.

This is the back yard as my IP camera see it in color, no IR light used of course, as you can see on my TV easy to see what go down in the fairly dark back yard ( only light is what filter out thru people windows and the 1 bulb in the tunnel thru the building )
but when i walk out in my kitchen and let my phone film the same scene pretty much all it get are just darkness, of course a vast difference between the 2.3 megapixel IMX 185 sensor in the IP camera and the 12 megapixel sensor of my phone.
But my eyes don't even see all that light the camera see down there, i can see my red car in the back, but i would not see a person in dark clothe sneaking around down there for sure.

The IMX 291 sensor in the best low light performing dashcams are about on the same level as my CCTV camera, but still need some light to be present for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. Super Night Vision seems to be a bit of a misnomer, more like Super Enhanced Ambient Lighting. Guess I need to be sure to park near lights at night.

Reactions: Mtz
This is the kind of performance you should get in town with all the ambient light there, and out of town on unlit roads with just the car lights.

Yeah under or at least near any regular street light and you should be fine.

The back yead here also have a PIR enabled LED light, that got installed recently, i use to have to use a IP camera with IR light to see anything back there, but a new camera with a much better sensor and i can do color vision, and when the 10 W or so LED light are triggered its like daytime down there.

Old camera footage.

I once was in the "trade" and thives dont like light one bit,,,, though thieving was only on my agenda in the start i later got into much more rewarding things,,,,, but sure am glad those years as a parasite are behind me.

Even with a street light for ambient lighting, pretty poor results as seen in the below clip. Also note the poor audio in parking mode.

Last edited:
Even with a street light for ambient lighting, pretty poor results as seen in the below clip. Also note the poor audio in parking mode.
I offered the manufacturer to improve the quality of the video for free, but he is not interested...

Thanks for the explanation. Super Night Vision seems to be a bit of a misnomer, more like Super Enhanced Ambient Lighting. Guess I need to be sure to park near lights at night.

it's more of a super enhanced marketing term unfortunately

If you cant see its broke,you will not fix it.
Blind people must have so many problems.

EDIT: just started to think about Penny and the check engine light in her car.

Back