F900LHD questions (hopefully get some answers)

f-m

Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm new to this Car-Vid stuff so bear this in mind when answering.. thanks.

I've searched long for a descent Car-Cam. Watched several U-Tube videos and decided on the F900LHD since the price w-ship was $40 USD. It's the non-fake model.
I've had this for a few days now and simply cannot take Pix nor Videos as clear and sharp as the U-Tube ones. I've played with the settings to try and get the clearest, cannot. Lens is clean.
I have a cheap $5.00 PC WebCam that takes 3 times better shots so I'm very disappointed in this Car-Cam.

I read the firmware update and according to the directions I seems I do not have the version V2.46 on this. All the menu says that this is Version 2012-05-18 SD.

Is there other tricks to get this item to work better?
Lastly, without spending BoB (Beaucoups of Bucks), what is a better Car-Cam?
THANKS - FM

f-m said:
Hi all:
I'm new to this Car-Vid stuff so bear this in mind when answering.. thanks.

I've searched long for a descent Car-Cam. Watched several U-Tube videos and decided on the F900LHD since the price w-ship was $40 USD. It's the non-fake model.
I've had this for a few days now and simply cannot take Pix nor Videos as clear and sharp as the U-Tube ones. I've played with the settings to try and get the clearest, cannot. Lens is clean.
I have a cheap $5.00 PC WebCam that takes 3 times better shots so I'm very disappointed in this Car-Cam.

I read the firmware update and according to the directions I seems I do not have the version V2.46 on this. All the menu says that this is Version 2012-05-18 SD.

Is there other tricks to get this item to work better?
Lastly, without spending BoB (Beaucoups of Bucks), what is a better Car-Cam?
THANKS - FM

Hi FM,

Unfortunately, you have a fake F900LHD. The firmware is a dead giveaway, the $40 price tag is too low and I'm sure there are other things that are different on your camera. You can check out the main site for differences between the original and fake F900LHDs.

The best high definition affordable camera right now is the DVR-027. You can get it for $60 shipping included at estore009 on eBay. estore009 sells the real camera, not a fake and they have sold over 1,600 of these cameras. I have not seen a more popular dash cam. Anything under this price is a big gamble and you will likely not be impressed.

Dash Cam Man

I did check this "Black Box" Car-Cam for "Real vs Fake F900LHD" URL before posting.
In looking at it externally, and according to the URL's pictures, I have a real one.

Firmware? I have no idea so I have to rely on you folks to know better.
What is the correct firmware?
And any chance this firmware can be updated or is the internal hardware too different to accept it?

Understandable $40 is cheap and was the lowest price I found in SEVERAL months searching.
Well,.... I suppose if I cannot get a full refund it is my first Car-Cam and is basically a practice piece.

Photo attached is the highest settings possible for photo. Trimmed from size 2592 x 1944
F900LHD claims to be a 5 meg photo quality. I have a 5 meg digital still camera.
Photo attached is terrible if it were 5 megs.

I did look at the DVR-027 and it's not clear enough for what I need.
In photo & video I need to see clear faces at 100 feet. (back yard surveillance)
In photo, the gray garage door upper left, there's no way a face could be recognizable.

FM

Attachments

• Copy of SUNP0001.JPG
    Copy of SUNP0001.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,891
f-m said:
I did check this "Black Box" Car-Cam for "Real vs Fake F900LHD" URL before posting.
In looking at it externally, and according to the URL's pictures, I have a real one.

Firmware? I have no idea so I have to rely on you folks to know better.
What is the correct firmware?
And any chance this firmware can be updated or is the internal hardware too different to accept it?

Understandable $40 is cheap and was the lowest price I found in SEVERAL months searching.
Well,.... I suppose if I cannot get a full refund it is my first Car-Cam and is basically a practice piece.

Photo attached is the highest settings possible for photo. Trimmed from size 2592 x 1944
F900LHD claims to be a 5 meg photo quality. I have a 5 meg digital still camera.
Photo attached is terrible if it were 5 megs.

I did look at the DVR-027 and it's not clear enough for what I need.
In photo & video I need to see clear faces at 100 feet. (back yard surveillance)
In photo, the gray garage door upper left, there's no way a face could be recognizable.

FM

Thanks for posting the picture. If you right click it, select properties, on the details tab you will see the EXIF information for the picture. It states that the camera maker is Icatch and the camera model is Spca1628. The F900LHD is an Ambarella A2S60 camera. Hence this fake and that is the reason for the poor picture quality. You cannot upgrade the firmware to the Ambarella ones, it will brick your device.

A real DVR-027 is a pretty good camera if you avoid the fakes for $60
Otherwise you can get a F500LHD for $90 (avoid the fakes).
If the quality is still not good enough, get the Blackvue DR-400G-HD II for $200.

Dash Cam Man

FM, can you let us know who you purchased this camera from? The more info we can share on who sells the real versions vs fake versions will be helpful.

Thanks
Dash Cam Man

Yah, I'm beginning to see this maybe the Real McCoy on the outside but the inner workings don't add up.
Purchased from here (below) $39.00
http://escrow.alibaba.com/order/product_snap_shot_detail.htm?order_id=1012920754
IF this is FAKE, how can I prove the software in it is wrong?

I'm in the middle of a "Dispute" claim and they're claiming there's not problem with the pictures & videos I took. The advert says 5 megapixel camera yet the photos I take look more like 1.3 meg pix.

I looked long and hard to weed out the bogus looking sales. Looks like I'll have to ReSave up for that $200 Car-Cam.
What I need is one to recognize thieves faces at 100 feet.

Thanks
FM

f-m said:
Yah, I'm beginning to see this maybe the Real McCoy on the outside but the inner workings don't add up.
Purchased from here (below) $39.00
http://escrow.alibaba.com/order/product_snap_shot_detail.htm?order_id=1012920754
IF this is FAKE, how can I prove the software in it is wrong?

I'm in the middle of a "Dispute" claim and they're claiming there's not problem with the pictures & videos I took. The advert says 5 megapixel camera yet the photos I take look more like 1.3 meg pix.

I looked long and hard to weed out the bogus looking sales. Looks like I'll have to ReSave up for that $200 Car-Cam.
What I need is one to recognize thieves faces at 100 feet.

Thanks
FM

Hi FM,

It will difficult to dispute it based on firmware since the ad never mentions what firmware that comes with it. One thing that indicates it is a fake in the ad is "1440 x 1080,15f/s". The real F900LHD is 1920x1080, 30 f/s.

You can dispute the 5MP claim for the sensor. The ad also states photo resolution is 12MP. Perhaps they will return some of your money. Note that $30-$40 is the going rate for standard definition dash cams right now, hence why you see the positive feedback on this listing (people are expecting poor video quality when purchasing this).

Dash Cam Man

"1440 x 1080,15f/s" ?
OH! That URL was the one they sent me not the one where I bought it from.
The URL I bought it from has been removed. SORRY bout that. I'm curious as to why.

In my cam the video are, 1920x1080 1280x720 848x480 640x480
Photos are, 2592x1944 2048x1200 1600x1200 1280x1024 (Super Fine / Fine / Normal)

Thanks again:
Floyd

UPDATE
F900LHD cam I got was a fake. Made a AliExpress.co'm dispute over it and got $20 back out of the $40 I paid.
Is it worth $20??? :roll: Sort of.... heck yah. :eek:
THANKS ALL who helped.
FM

f-m said:
UPDATE
F900LHD cam I got was a fake. Made a AliExpress.co'm dispute over it and got $20 back out of the $40 I paid.
Is it worth $20??? :roll: Sort of.... heck yah. :eek:
THANKS ALL who helped.
FM

Glad you received $20 back. I'm sure you could resell the camera on craigslist for more.

Dash Cam Man

(February 2013)
The User's Manual, page 19 (on paper) or 23 (pdf):
Setting -> Pictures -> Self Timer -> NO/3seconds/5seconds/10seconds -> Press the picture button, after set the time will take pictures automatically

My question: how does this work ?
Does it:
A: take one picture 3 seconds (5, 10) after you press the button, and that's it, or does it
b: take a picture 3 seconds (5, 10) after you press the button, and it keeps taking pictures every 3 (5, 10) seconds untill the SD-card is full ?
Thanks.

one more question: the DOD F900LHD FAQ says:
"It is believed that the manufacturer is “TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED” . Another company, DeSheng may also be an original manufacturer."

So, what is DOD at this address http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php?cat_1st=4&cat_2nd=5 ?
They present themselves as "DOD is the pioneer and leader brand of car black box which focus on the development and production of car black box."

Last edited by a moderator:
javr said:
one more question: the DOD F900LHD FAQ says:
"It is believed that the manufacturer is “TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED” . Another company, DeSheng may also be an original manufacturer."

So, what is DOD at this address http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php?cat_1st=4&cat_2nd=5 ?
They present themselves as "DOD is the pioneer and leader brand of car black box which focus on the development and production of car black box."
javr,

That is the DOD F900LHD.

javr,

That is the DOD F900LHD.
my question was:
the FAQ says: It is believed that the manufacturer is “TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED” . Another company, DeSheng may also be an original manufacturer.

Ok. So what is DOD ? The third original manufacturer, or just a seller for products of previously mentioned TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED and DeSheng ?

javr said:
javr,

That is the DOD F900LHD.
my question was:
the FAQ says: It is believed that the manufacturer is “TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED” . Another company, DeSheng may also be an original manufacturer.

Ok. So what is DOD ? The third original manufacturer, or just a seller for products of previously mentioned TRANSFLUENT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED and DeSheng ?
I think that I read in some other thread that DaschCamMan said that DOD doesn't manufacture cams by itself, but gets them from OEM and then probably modifies software and firmware and brands them.

If you look at this Russian page for KARKAM QX2 you will see that it looks exactly like DOD F900LH or F900LHD.
http://carcam.ru/carcam_qx2.html

DOD does not manufacture cams. They are a marketing / distributing company. Many companies in Russia are like this as well. You can find brands such as Texet, iconbit, Datakam, etc. all selling similar / identical products from China.

So who are the real manufacturers? That is a difficult question to answer. I'm sure some of these brands might buy from only 1 manufacturer. Others may buy from multiple manufacturers.

As for Transfluent Technology and Desheng, these apparently are manufacturers in China. It is believed they were one (of perhaps many) manufacturers of the legit F500LHD (firmware ending in KH).

ok, thank you.
MozartMan, I see you're the owner of a "Dash Cam: DOD F900LHD". Would you be so kind and check this for me:

The User's Manual, page 19 (on paper) or 23 (pdf):
Setting -> Pictures -> Self Timer -> NO/3seconds/5seconds/10seconds -> Press the picture button, after set the time will take pictures automatically

My question: how does this work ?
Does it:
A: take one picture 3 seconds (5, 10) after you press the button, and that's it, or does it
B: take a picture 3 seconds (5, 10) after you press the button, and it keeps taking pictures every 3 (5, 10) seconds untill the SD-card is full ?

Thanks.

javr,

I didn't try that, but my guess it works like any other digital camera self timer, which is option A in your question.

1. Set time time (3, 5, 10 seconds)
2. Press the button
3. Get in front of the camera
4. Picture will be taken after specified time
5. Done.

Hello. I want to ask if exist F900lhd car cam with 1080p and GPS ?

Back