Faaast....

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Hear the roar...

114MPH, did the A139 catch the plate for the police report? Can't read it over YouTube...

Not sure what the car is? But I don't like the sound, wouldn't want to have to listen to that everywhere I drove!

Not sure what the police would do if you reported that, over a hundred MPH is not good for licenses, and the evidence is perfectly clear that he was well over 100, but dashcam evidence is not used for measuring speed as far as I know, and he didn't appear to be driving dangerously, other than the speed, but then 44MPH over the speed limit... would be interesting to see what they do... presumably ignore you being 2 km/h above the limit!

My speedo was in Kilometres per hour because I forget to change it to MPH on the latest FW update I put on the dashcam.

No idea what speed he was though. It's a Lamborghini Huracan.

My speedo was in Kilometres per hour because I forget to change it to MPH on the latest FW update I put on the dashcam.

No idea what speed he was though. It's a Lamborghini Huracan.
His speed was 114MPH (just happens to be the same number as your Km/h), and having reviewed what is happening in Operation Snap, that would quite likely be a lost license if you reported it, depending on which police force, probably for "dangerous driving", but there do seem to be some speed convictions too when excess speeds are large enough for there to be no doubt and sufficiently over the limit for a court appearance.

I may be a few MPH out on his speed, but it is definitely over 100MPH and I think the Operation Snap forensics department (forgotten their actual name) could confirm it as definitely over 110MPH.

His speed was 114MPH
Curious to know how you arrived at that figure, based on the video evidence? Have you assumed the spacing of the white lines or the retroreflective studs? Or did you calculate the stud spacing based on the speed shown on Paul's A139?

Curious to know how you arrived at that figure, based on the video evidence?
His speed seems to be increasing, confirmed by the audio, but if we stick to calculating an accurate average over as long as we can reasonably accurately see:

Pause the video with the cars level, side by side, then step forward one frame at a time (press the '>' key on YouTube), if you count 100 frames, note the white line that he is level with in that frame, then step forward counting frames until Paul is at that same white line, I get 55 extra frames for paul to arrive. Since the speeds were roughly constant I think the following maths is reasonable:
(155/100*114)km/h = mph
to which Google Search returns:
109.79629 miles per hour

That does need Paul's GPS speed of 114 km/h to be accurate, but he was at a constant speed and it was consistent, not jumping about, so it would probably be within 1 Km/h.

He is passing one white line every 6 frames, and being 1 frame out is roughly a 1 MPH error in the calculation, so I think it is reasonable to think I am within ±3 MPH/half a white line, and another ±1 MPH for the GPS accuracy.

As I said, his speed is increasing, so is higher than that average towards the end of the 100 frames.

Have you assumed the spacing of the white lines or the retroreflective studs? Or did you calculate the stud spacing based on the speed shown on Paul's A139?
So no need for an assumption of the white line spacing or stud spacing, I only need the fact that I can identify a specific white line in the distance and compare the time that the two cars took to get there.

You can also do it by counting how many white lines each car passes in 100 frames, which gives about the same accuracy if you assume the white lines were painted by a machine that produced constant spacing, you do want to count to 10ths of a white line, not just full white lines.

I think if the Police forensics wanted an accurate speed, they could analyse the doppler effect on the audio, the clear change in tone as he passes should give the relative speed accurate to ±1 MPH, and then the further change in tone should allow them to plot an acceleration graph very accurately. Surprisingly I can't find any app that will do that from an audio/video file, must be one somewhere.

It dont sound modifier ( exhaust ) but many sports cars are fag loud from the factory, TBH i have no idea how they can drive on public streets here as at least a aftermarket exhaust can not be more than 90Db, but many sports cars are way past 100 Db from the factory.

I just use the FAG moniker to all who drive something unnecessary loud, not just Harley riders.

TBH i have no idea how they can drive on public streets here as at least a aftermarket exhaust can not be more than 90Db, but many sports cars are way past 100 Db from the factory.
Maybe the limit for exhaust noise is irrelevant because most of the lambo noise is from the air intake, and the EU say that you measure intake noise from above the engine, but the lambo is firing it out the sides, so as long as you test it in an anechoic chamber where noise going out sideways doesn't return...

Here is an example of a speeding BMW driver losing their driving licence due to dashcam footage submitted to Operation Snap. In fact he got a bit more than just a lost licence:
a community order with a 12 month supervision period, ordered to undertake 150 hours of unpaid work and disqualified from driving for 12 months. He was also ordered to pay £420 costs and a surcharge of £95 as well as having to undertake an extended re-test once the 12 month disqualification comes to an end.

The forensics people calculated a speed of 140.8 MPH (226.59564 Km/h), presumably that means they can do it accurately to a tenth of a MPH?

To determine the speed of the BMW, the video recording of the incident was sent for investigation by Steve Callaghan at Road Safety Support (RSS). Steve Callaghan was able to review the footage and accurately ascertain the speed of the BMW was 140.8mph as it passed the submitter’s vehicle. It means Bunten, then 21, was travelling at over double the legal speed limit of 70mph.

Mr Callaghan said: “Video cameras contain very accurate timing information so drivers who behave like this in the view of those drivers with dashcams should not be surprised when they are prosecuted and convicted driving dangerously and well in excess of the speed limit. Mr Bunten was convicted on the evidence of such a driver who took the time to submit the evidence.”

These maniacs don't seem to realise that there are now lots of ways their potentially fatal antics can be captured.

These maniacs don't seem to realise that there are now lots of ways their potentially fatal antics can be captured.
Not lots, most of the cameras around the place can't be used for speeding convictions because the rules or laws don't allow it, even police cameras can only be used if they are certified types and calibrated and operated correctly with the correct logs being kept. Dashcams are an exception, any old dashcam can be used, with no calibration and no certification, as long as the owner is prepared to sign as a witness. I think speeding convictions still only happen if the speeds are fast enough to warrant a court appearance though, so most of us don't need to worry, just "those maniacs"!

The forensics people calculated a speed of 140.8 MPH (226.59564 Km/h), presumably that means they can do it accurately to a tenth of a MPH?
If they really did calculate it that accurately, I think it must have been from the engine note which was clearly audible, they can measure the frequency very accurately, most dashcams record audio at 16 thousand samples per second or better, and once the vehicle is identified the gear ratio is known, then it is a simple calculation of engine speed * gear ratio = road speed. There would be some errors from tyre pressures though, which I would expect to put it a few MPH out, not a few tenths, and they would need to correct for doppler effect :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

The extra 0.8 was important, that took it over double the speed limit, without it there wouldn't have been the four months of unpaid work, so they must be able to somehow calculate speed better than me... or the courts are accepting inaccurate figures as though they have zero error margin?

Tesla driver caught on dashcam doing 79MPH, I assume in a 60 zone:

Upon sentencing at Swansea Crown Court on April 22, 2022, Mr Evans received eight months’ imprisonment suspended for 15 months, ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work, to pay prosecution costs of £1500 and disqualified from driving for 18 months.

After the case, Steve Callaghan said: “There was sufficient information in this very short film to show the excessive speed used by Mr Evans and how that contributed to the manner of his driving in a way that justified the dangerous driving charge.

Charged with dangerous driving again, but clearly it was the speed that was the important dangerous factor, and again it was the national dashcam forensics guy that calculated it.

I hope BMW drivers aren't all moving to Teslas?

West Yorkshire Police received 20 dashcam videos a day last month, motorcyclists don't take part:
West Yorkshire Police received 622 pieces of dashcam and phone footage showcasing potential driving offences across the region in June.

The force launched the Safer Roads Media Submissions Portal in 2020, allowing the public to notify police about potential offenders and bring about change.
In June, police took action against the driver in 68 per cent of cases while
  • 315 motorists were offered educational courses.
  • 96 motorists were given a conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice and
  • 13 people are due to appear in court.
The submitters included 295 drivers, 17 passengers, one motorcyclist, 264 cyclists, 12 horse riders and 22 pedestrians.

While i do detest the concept of a snitch based society, then i do envy something like the Safer Roads Media Submissions Portal, i do consider my country to be a lesser country for this.
But of course here it would just be one more thing for the police to deal with, and as it is at the moment, they can sadly not even manage the most basic police actions.

But the latter i blame the ( torrent of the most foul and insulting words you can imagine ) politicians, a bunch of beings i have absolutely no trust or respect in.

While i do detest the concept of a snitch based society, then i do envy something like the Safer Roads Media Submissions Portal,
Yes, it could become very undesirable if used for minor issues, but then you look at the video of that Tesla driver and nearly everyone who uses the roads would want him removed from our roads, he is going to kill someone if not, there is a difference between being a snitch and saving lives. I assume that since the police took action on 68% of reports, most people are only submitting when they think it was serious, I'm quite surprised that it is over 50%.

Should the Lambo driver be reported, I'm not sure, easy answer is to let the police decide!

Yes. in this case i do not mind, a democratic society under a common law, society can not exist with the police alone upholding the law, it is the citizens duty too to step up put his heels down and say " not on my watch" when they encounter crime.
Just have to be careful, CUZ politicians will gladly run with that ball, and could easy bring a country to where no society should be.
It is one "beef" i have with the people here as i feel they are pushing this supposedly social experiment a bit too hard, CUZ you do not have to dig very deep to see that all Danes are not equal under the law or other things for that matter.
And that is also okay, it is sort of the name of the game i guess, what annoy me is that they play it is if it was so, and that insult my intellect.

A Dane dont have to commit the most heinous act to get 8 years in prison, but the English guy that stole billions from Danish tax payers that is about the highest sentence he can get, and as Denmark are 100 % funded by our substantial taxes it insult me that a thief in that caliber can get off that easy.

TBH had it been me that won the 750 mill DKkr yesterday ( some Dane did ) then i might well have used some of that money to take out a hit on that English / Indian guy, just on pure principles, and dot get mad,,,, get even.

Last edited:
I have been put off uploading videos to my regions police dashcam footage scheme.

They seem to have an extremely long form and you must provide 1 minute of unedited footage before and after the incident.
You also must upload within 24 hours of the incident or something silly like that.

Also the worst offenders typically have no numberplate, a false/cloned one or they have covered it up.

Yes. in this case i do not mind, a democratic society under a common law, society can not exist with the police alone upholding the law, it is the citizens duty too to step up put his heels down and say " not on my watch" when they encounter crime.

More often than not I find those on the road judging others and flashing their lights in moral outrage are usually the worst and most ignorant drivers of all, and of course then there's the irony that by flashing their lights at people in this manner is an offence lol

Over here i think road rage are rare, in all my years of driving i can not say i have experienced it or even seen it.
When i was younger and more a fan of being in the left lane as i was at the very least at the speed limit, well i have had people come up from behind even faster, but they have just illegally overtaken on the right.
Where as a flash or 2 of the high beams and i would gladly pull over.
The only people that have honked at me i remember have been the few times where i have pulled out, and not checked my mirrors before i did that. but i can not recall ever having gotten flipped off.

TBH i think road raging i might have done that myself, 2006 or so there was the old guy driving a extra loud Harley, which complained about me playing my car stereo ( factory stereo ) loud with my windows down,,,, i damn near broke my own hand hitting him ( note to self do not hit people in the face when they wear a helmet )
Something i have also noticed often in road rage videos on youtube, the damn bikers keep their helmet on.

We also have strict rules for use of the cars signalling equipment, where i think fog and hazard lights are included with the horn, but you often see / hear umpteen cars with the torn blaring and full of Muslims leaving a wedding, and some times shots have even been discharged into the air as if they was home in what ever "exotic" country they come from.
Last year as the students celebrating them finishing exams, and they drive around drunk and loud in the back of trucks, some one also fired a gun into the air, as they passed by,,,, though it was a blank pistol but still :rolleyes:

iu

I ran a red light myself a few days ago, no problem in stopping safely here as the light turned yellow :oops:

Last edited:
Back