Failing to record-Missing footage.

Wow, after reading mixed reviews on Amazon, with negative reports of missing footage, thought I'd come here to see what the talk is about this camera.

Off to the A129 Plus (2k) camera thread to see if that's a better option.

Havent checked the sd card in about two weeks. All seemed to be recording well last time i checked
Just finished reviewing footage found more indiscrepancies.
Driving files are pictured on the left, Parking files pictured on the right.

2J6AX3M.jpg

Car was driven home file [03971] and parked at 1:10pm
Car went into parking mode file [03973] and ran for 2:00mins as per the 2min loop setting
The next parking mode file [03975] only lasted 1:53s before the camera footage cut off.
The camera/was turned back on a day later, file [03977].
Granted the car has a 12.4v cut off but it has most certainly been recording past 3m53s of parking mode in the past.

SsxPQSd.jpg

Same thing happens here
Car was driven home file [03983] at 2:08pm
Car went into parking mode file [03985] and ran for only 1:43s
Camera/car was turned back on file [03987] at 3:51 pm. Almost 2 hours of missing parking footage.

January 30th parking mode ran for 4hours straight which is consistent with the amount of parking mode recording time i have had on my car since install with a 12.4v cutoff.
iAVJWOc.jpg
63ncbfd.jpg

Just finished skimming through most of the DRIVING files and dont see any missing footage there currently. I am just skimming through the file sizes which are supposed to be around 875,000 KB for 2min loops. I scan the next file size that is smaller and if its me driving up to a spot and parking the car then i deem it okay. None of the file sizes under 875,000KB were the camera just abruptly cutting off mid drive.

Last edited:
Do you have a volt meter? If so, after your car has been parked for about an hour, go out and measure the battery voltage.

Do you have a volt meter? If so, after your car has been parked for about an hour, go out and measure the battery voltage.
I will do that.

Considering the car has about a month of overwritten DRIVING files with 0 noticeable errors. Can we conclude that the SD card is not the cause of the missing DRIVING footage at the begining of this thread?

I realize that now there is missing parkage footage which may or may not have also been present at the beginning of this thread. I was more concerned about the driving files rather than the parking so I didn't review the parking files as closely back then.

As far as my temperature tests concluded the temperature near the camera only reached between 100-115F with the heat on and vents pointed at the camera. That is far off from the rating of of 149F viofo claims. I still can't conclude whether overheating is what was causing the camera to stop recording mid drive.

Last edited:
When I had missing footage from my A129 Pro I ended up having to route the power cable directly to the camera instead of the GPS mount I suspect contact was not so good (akin to the old A119 V1 issue) so the cam wasn't receiving enough power. Some other cams I have place footage into "emergency" folder when they detect "impact" as small as going over speedbumps. Can't recall if A129 Pro did this. Finally as others have said most common issue is with memory cards but it does seem you've done thorough testing - just to put in my own anecdote, I have had 3 cards fail that have not been outright failure, and would test fine in Windows, but start showing random errors a few days after formatting like the card controller would not place the footage correctly and just happily keep thinking it's doing writing properly. Windows and H2testw still passed though. Camera never told me about these card failures. Cam would just write fail after the card was full.

Another possibility that I have seen with non viofo cam I owned was missing footage caused by failure of the real time clock battery. The camera would turn on, default to 2018/1/1 (or something) and then record for about 20 seconds before the GPS sync'd. It then made a new file, and started overwriting old footage like normal. But however I suspect it was always first to delete/overwrite the 20 seconds from start up since the date always defaulted to being the 'oldest' footage time wise until the GPS fixed it up.

(Edited for clarity).

Last edited:
The missing files in my first post were not locked to the RO folder. I am speculating for some reason or other the camera simply shut off without warning(beeps) while driving. It hasn't had missing DRIVING footage in a month as far as I can tell.

The power is currently and has always been plugged directly to the camera body although the camera itself is mounted on the gps mount.

Camera never told me about these card failures.

I am speculating for some reason or other the camera simply shut off without warning(beeps) while driving.
Over and over and over, this keeps happening with dashcams. Camera manufactures need to prioritize fixing this. Dashcams need a watchdog timer that is hard wired to make noise when it triggers. Dashcams need to check what they have recorded to verify it is recording properly, and make noise when it is not. Silent failure is far too common for dashcams. I would much rather have to pull over to silence a malfunctioning dashcam than have it malfunction silently.

Just looked over the SD card again and there is 0 missing driving footage. I am still using the same SD card as i was in the beginning of this thread. It has overwritten itself multiple times over the course of "testing".

Can my sd card still be blamed for the missing footage or can i blame the camera now?

Back