Fake DVR-027 return to sender

Delta_T

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I posted this before, but I don't want to clutter someone else's thread so here is goes again.

I have purchased this fake one on Ebay (here at chargerangel).

I played around with this camera and I have to say: it is junk. :lol: Good thing I didn't spend much $ ($30 + shipping) on it.

It works, but the image quality is pretty awful. You can change the resolution (640x480) in a menu, but it actually doesn't do anything to the picture quality, the software just interpolates it and actually cuts off part of the top and the bottom so it looks more 'wide screenish'. So it actually makes it worse, you loose part of your image.
During the day, the image is too light and blurry, when dark outide, the image pretty much goes black.
The charger that came with it, lasted for about 10 minutes.

This camera is definitely a fake and by no means 720p HD, although it has many features of the original one.

I still like the idea of a dash cam and because I bought SD cards for it I decided to go on a spending spree and buy another one, a 'real' one this time (for $70).
I will use this p.o.s. for spare parts or something. A spare suction cup and battery might come in handy... :roll:

I sent the ebay seller a message. Let's see what he has to say. I am not going to worry about it too much, if you buy cheap, you can expect cheap sh!t. :mrgreen:

day01.jpg

day2.jpg

night.jpg

The eBay Seller got back to me, first offering me a $5 refund for the faulty charger and giving me instructions how to change the resolution from 640 to 1280.
We asked if that was acceptable.
This was my response:

Me
No. I am not worried about the faulty charger.
What my concern is that your add states that it is a 720 High Definition Camera, but it is NOT.
I know that 640x480 is the lowest setting. If I change the resolution to 1280, the camera software interpolates the existing 640 resolution to 1280. Which basically means that the output video looks bigger, but the quality still Standard Definition and the output is even worse. The camera simply doesn't do High Definition but you say in your add that it does.

I don't really care that the camera is junk, and I couldn't be bothered about the $30, but his add misrepresents the product. He states that it is HD, but it is clearly not. To me, it is a matter of principle.

This morning I got his reply:

Him
we are sorry for the inconvenience.
we will check with our supplier about this issue.Hope for your understanding.
for your case you may return it for full refund. we will give you RMA# and shipping address to return it.
Much appreciate your understanding and time.
Best regards, chargerangel

At least he is communicating and trying to solve this problem. I will now take this a step further. :twisted: I am not prepared to spend money on shipping this piece of junk from Canada to California because it will probably cost more then the camera itself so there is no point. Let's see if he is prepared to pay for return shipping (his ebay add states he doesn't).

There are fakes everywhere. The AVI OUT plug, lack of HDMI port and price below $50 tell that this one is a fake (source). But I wish I knew that before buying TWO fakes in the past! :oops: Hopefully you won't waste more money on this one.

Back