Fake G1W from Amazon seller BAIKLOV

MrPsiko

Reaction score
Country
United States
New poster, though I've lurked for some time soaking up the useful information this site contains.

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and purchased a G1W from this posting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FONBG1A.

Product arrived in the orange box others have received fakes in, so I was immediately suspicious. Test video files show them as M-JPEGs converted to .AVI with, presumably, the Novatek NT96220 image
processor.

I uploaded some test footage to YouTube. Forgive the music overlay, the audio recording was better than expected and picked up a phone conversation I didn't want to broadcast:

My plastic spudgers weren't successful in prying it open to confirm and I honestly fear cracking the case or worse. Any suggestions for opening for a newbie?

The screen stays lit the entire time it's recording in my car; this isn't terrible, as I can somewhat hide it behind my rear-view mirror, but it's a behavior I've not seen documented (forgive me if I missed it).

The seller, BAIKLOV, apologized and offered to send me a laser pointer (!) to make up for the fake product. I consider this weak sauce but view the image quality as "decent enough" for my first dash cam (and a learning experience!). How far should I push them for a refund/new item? What can Amazon do with a foreign seller on its Marketplace?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: The response from the seller after filing a Amazon A-to-z false product claim. They offer a partial-refund:

Dear Friend, Thank you for chossed our product, i am Chay of the Qin Technology CO.LTD incharge person. Sorry to hear that you were received a different product i'm very sorry for any inconvenience about that. we are decided to refund half price for you and you still can keep the device, or you can fully refund and return back the device to us. hope you can accept our apology and cancel the A to Z Guarantee claim. And give us a opportunity to serve you better. Your truly, Chay Wei Zhi Qin Technology CO.LTD

Edit 2: Amazon is refunding my purchase price.

Last edited:
It is not right that you never got the proper one , the fake I received from another seller had a much worse video quality than your one is recording .
this one looks pretty good in comparison.

Yes, I noticed the difference as well. What I have meets my modest goals under the C.Y.A. principle I try to operate by. Other fakes have truly horrid colors and heavy does of blurriness. Perhaps the lens and CMOS are 'legitimate' and only the processor was changed?

It makes me wonder how many manufacturers are producing these models, or if one company has such poor QA and/or poor ethics that they assemble whatever components they can get their hands on.

Product arrived in the orange box others have received fakes in, so I was immediately suspicious.

Are the orange box ones fake? I ordered mine from FoxOffers and received it today and it also came in an orange box.

Not necessarily, I've read reports of up-to-spec camera's coming in both the black/orange boxes and black boxes with several 'fancy' pictures on it.

Not necessarily, I've read reports of up-to-spec camera's coming in both the black/orange boxes and black boxes with several 'fancy' pictures on it.
Instructions in English in not that well written. Do you know of any other place (forum post or a blog post) for instructions on configurations? If not I can always just play with it and figure it out.

@MrPsiko
I wish I had seen this post prior to buying a G1W from BAIKLOV through Amazon. I received mine yesterday. I could tell it wasn’t right when it didn’t even allow me the option to set the time and date for the time stamp. Then it wouldn’t stop recording and would freeze up. This is all before I even put it in my car. I’m awaiting a response from BAIKLOV and I also sent an e-mail to Amazon and let them know these are probably counterfeit. They’ll probably ask me to send it back, which won’t be cheap.

Did Amazon ever help you get your full amount back?

My plastic spudgers weren't successful in prying it open to confirm and I honestly fear cracking the case or worse. Any suggestions for opening for a newbie?.
I'm also interested in this. Any suggestion ?

New poster, though I've lurked for some time soaking up the useful information this site contains.

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and purchased a G1W from this posting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FONBG1A.

Product arrived in the orange box others have received fakes in, so I was immediately suspicious. Test video files show them as M-JPEGs converted to .AVI with, presumably, the Novatek NT96220 image
processor.

I uploaded some test footage to YouTube. Forgive the music overlay, the audio recording was better than expected and picked up a phone conversation I didn't want to broadcast:

My plastic spudgers weren't successful in prying it open to confirm and I honestly fear cracking the case or worse. Any suggestions for opening for a newbie?

The screen stays lit the entire time it's recording in my car; this isn't terrible, as I can somewhat hide it behind my rear-view mirror, but it's a behavior I've not seen documented (forgive me if I missed it).

The seller, BAIKLOV, apologized and offered to send me a laser pointer (!) to make up for the fake product. I consider this weak sauce but view the image quality as "decent enough" for my first dash cam (and a learning experience!). How far should I push them for a refund/new item? What can Amazon do with a foreign seller on its Marketplace?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: The response from the seller after filing a Amazon A-to-z false product claim. They offer a partial-refund:

Dear Friend, Thank you for chossed our product, i am Chay of the Qin Technology CO.LTD incharge person. Sorry to hear that you were received a different product i'm very sorry for any inconvenience about that. we are decided to refund half price for you and you still can keep the device, or you can fully refund and return back the device to us. hope you can accept our apology and cancel the A to Z Guarantee claim. And give us a opportunity to serve you better. Your truly, Chay Wei Zhi Qin Technology CO.LTD

Edit 2: Amazon is refunding my purchase price.
We are estore009 from Ebay,and yes,this "BAIKLOV" is same store as us on Amanzon;
In fact that Amazon always changes its vender,and sometimes,your amanzon order was fullfilled by different vender;
For example,now,this vender for this posting G1W http://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FONBG1A is Blackbox,but not fullfilled by us;

So,we think this buyer made wrong claim to our company,he mixed us "BAIKLOV" with other sellers!
And we have a check its claim on seller "Qin Technology CO.LTD "
,we do not know this seller;our company name is Blueskysea CO.LTD in China,please note!
And the only posting G1W for us Blueskysea on Amanzon is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FXI8GMSAnd the Ebay link for G1W posting is here http://www.ebay.com/itm/310752336819

Regards,
Vicky

Last edited:
I just noticed my g1w would randomly stop recording. After some research on the forum, I noticed I got the fake one. I also ordered from BAIKLOV. Anyone noticing your cam would randomly stop recording with (motion sensor off), you probably got the fake one as well.

I just noticed my g1w would randomly stop recording. After some research on the forum, I noticed I got the fake one. I also ordered from BAIKLOV. Anyone noticing your cam would randomly stop recording with (motion sensor off), you probably got the fake one as well.
We only sell Original G1W on Amazon and Ebay both,and are you sure you order this item from BAIKLOV?
And we wonder if possible that you give us your email,so we can have a check with my Amazon colleague firstly?
Anyway,please feel free to contact us if any questions,we are open to return if any questions!

Back