Fake Mini0801 internal views (red menus)

skoubri

Reaction score
Country
Greece
photo 1.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG This is my first dashcam mini0801 and unfortunately after I bought I discovered the fake & original story... now I cannot say I am completely disappointed , but mostly I care about firmware updates.... so I read it cannot be done on fake ones, so I opened to see the REAL differences... any other "victims" out there who are searching for a way to flash these units are welcome to share their thoughts...

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 60
I have received same item. Already got my money back, because it was advertised as 0803. I also have out of focus lens and "pink snow" interference on videos on bright spots (like lice plate lights or sky during day). I've tried to apply several 0801 firmwares, but it just won't start updating. I even made 4pin usb cable to try it with DirectUSB, but my PC doesn't recognize it as AMBA development board. One more strange thing is that when I connect it in Mass storage mode it pops up 3 drives: 3,86MB (empty), 340KB (338 free) and one with my SD card. I thought that larger one was meant for firmware, but none of them would fit on there. In device manager all drives appear as AMBA Storage USB Device. I would be happy if I could brick it trying to get it to work, but I can't even try :D

Hi, mine also shows three drives... But finally I gave up with it, as I think the quality is acceptable for me. No such "pink" noise or out of focus. As for the firmware after many research I think that this model will accept "firmware.bin" as file name but NONE of the firmwares around will work...

unfortunately after I bought I discovered the fake
I've never seen a fake Mini0801 use a Ambarella A2 Chip The fake ones I have seen use a Novatek NT96220FG
This is a fake 0801

NONE of the firmwares around will work...
You have to be very careful The 0801/0803/0805/0806 all use different firmware and using the wrong one will brick the camera.

As for the firmware after many research I think that this model will accept "firmware.bin"
The 0803/0805/0806 use the filename firmware.bin the 0801 depending on where it came from might only work with the names

• firmware-NO1-SPI-OV2710FLIP-TB15-M8452.bin
  • firmware-NO1.bin
  • firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin
  • firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin
  • firmware-NO1-SPI-OV2710FLIP-TB15-MA310.bin

Here is a link to firmware
http://dc.p-mc.eu/0801/firmware

photo.JPG Thank you very much for the useful info.. as I had no other help that's why I kept it that way without have any "bricking surprise"...

Mine has A2 but the menus look very different from original 0801 ... mine are red and the layout is with tabs. I didn't try any firmware as it didn't accept the 'normal' filenames. As for the name "firmware.bin", I found it in a Russian forum, where the owner had one the same (same menus, same firmware version syntax), and was saying that his supplier sent it to him to unbrick, as he had tried to load firmware from original 0801.

So as the quality is pretty acceptable, the GPS works fine, and till now no other problems.. I am just waiting for the weather to get hotter as mine have no ventilation holes.. so I am wondering what will happen when it starts to work hot.

Here is a night shot, with only one street light at the left..
Frame 2014.12.24 22-22-02 (0-05-21.863).jpg
thank you

Last edited:
I've never had an 0801 (just all the others), but from what I have seen those menus do look a little strange.
Where did you get yours from?

Have never seen that menu on A2 before, would seem odd to do an updated menu layout on a platform that is due to finish very soon

Was bought on eBay.. And after some communication with the seller couldn't get any info on supplier or any firmware... Does the original 0801 run on A2S60 too?

Hmm, then I wish I had a firmware backup of the current running so I could try to "feed" her one of the originals to see what happens... But just of curiosity... As long as it works fine there is no rush...

The likelihood of the original 0801 firmware running on yours is slim to none, there's a lot more to the camera than just the processor it uses

The likelihood of the original 0801 firmware running on yours is slim to none, there's a lot more to the camera than just the processor it uses
I've tried to apply different firmwares for 0801 from this site and even wanted to try DirectUSB, but nothing shows up when I connect it with proper soldered cable to the computer. So my cam doesn't want to eat any firmware and doesn't allow to use Direct USB. Or I am complete noob :D. If someone is interested, I can do whatever you say with my cam, because I've got full refund and my 0805 has been ordered on gearbest. I'm new to dash cam firmware magic and maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The process to put it into USB boot mode is likely different, once you did that you could extract the firmware, would likely never run a different firmware but if you could extract what you have you can do things like edit the boot logo, not really anything worthwhile in the scheme of things

The process to put it into USB boot mode is likely different, once you did that you could extract the firmware, would likely never run a different firmware but if you could extract what you have you can do things like edit the boot logo, not really anything worthwhile in the scheme of things
to be so sure that it cannot run other firmware means that you have tried or you know something we don't... I could believe this only if the processor have some kind of locks or there is really different external hardware... but in these cameras the only external hardware is the RAM, the eEPROM and the image sensor...

at the bottom line , I really don't care so much to run other firmware even the original one, as mine is pretty functional and does what I want to do... But if I had a firmware of my type for backup, definitely I would try!

I've tried to apply different firmwares for 0801 from this site and even wanted to try DirectUSB, but nothing shows up when I connect it with proper soldered cable to the computer. So my cam doesn't want to eat any firmware and doesn't allow to use Direct USB. Or I am complete noob :D. If someone is interested, I can do whatever you say with my cam, because I've got full refund and my 0805 has been ordered on gearbest. I'm new to dash cam firmware magic and maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Even that I haven't experience on A2 I think that the bootloader sequence is not possible to bypass from serial, so maybe you connect to the wrong UART or you have inverted rx,tx pins?

Link to listing bought from?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181524527774 this is where i got mine.

How do you put it into USB mode? I've never actually tried putting it to USB mode, I was thinking that proper cable is the only thing needed. :oops:

very unlikely to run, even minor hardware differences are enough to stop it working correctly and a quick look at your PCB pictures shows enough differences to be a problem, if it works ok then be happy with that, the original 0801 wasn't that great anyway, you could well have one that works better anyway

if you can extract your firmware then you could look at doing some work on that, that's likely to be more beneficial than using firmware off another model camera

Back