fake sj 4000 any good ?

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A wide 170 degree lens would suit me,

the wifi option too..

And a £38 price puts it on par with a g1wh..

I am wanting to use it as a security camera on the house and be able to link via wifi rather than mess with wires..

Anyone using one for anything and able to comment in a positive or negative manner ?

A wide 170 degree lens would suit me,

the wifi option too..

And a £38 price puts it on par with a g1wh..

I am wanting to use it as a security camera on the house and be able to link via wifi rather than mess with wires..

Anyone using one for anything and able to comment in a positive or negative manner ?
How do you know it's fake?

says its fake in the add....

I m just trying to find out if the picture quality is as good as a g1wh, and with the wifi and 170 lens it actually makes it a better buy if it is !

says its fake in the add....

I m just trying to find out if the picture quality is as good as a g1wh, and with the wifi and 170 lens it actually makes it a better buy if it is !
Oh, I see. It's not "fake" in the way that you're thinking. There are some early SJ4000's out there that weren't built by SJCAM. They only started putting their brand on the cameras after a while but that doesn't mean that all the ones that don't have it are fake. Even those that aren't originally made by SJCAM are still good cameras.
Those not made by SJCAM have the word "resistabt" instead of "resistant" written on the front of the box.

Some of the "SJ4000" cams that I've seen on eBay don't even support 1080p. Or they do, but are limited to 6mbps data rate, which will give a very limited picture quality if there's motion in the scene. One only supported 1080p at 15fps-- which wouldn't matter for a security camera, but would be horrid for a dashcam or action cam.

1080 x 30fps

720 x 60fps (counted 60 genuine changing frames )

very vivid colours, and the lens could probably do with a focus...

But all in all with all accessories and 30m waterproof case I suppose it will suit some.

Its one dramatic fail seems to be when connected to wifi and streaming to a phone, it takes only 10 minutes for it to get hot enough to send the lens further out of focus and make the images poorer..

and a further fail is it doesn't charge while recording..

claims to be useable as a dashcam, but doesn't film from power up...

1080 x 30fps

very vivid colours, and the lens could probably do with a focus...

But all in all with all accessories and 30m waterproof case I suppose it will suit some.

Its one dramatic fail seems to be when connected to wifi and streaming to a phone, it takes only 10 minutes for it to get hot enough to send the lens further out of focus and make the images poorer..

and a further fail is it doesn't charge while recording..

claims to be useable as a dashcam, but doesn't film from power up...
Wow, talk about fake! I don't believe that's even a SJCAM. The real SJ4000 WiFi doesn't do 60fps, charges everytime you plug it in to a power source, while recording or not, and has switchable car mode. Can you post some pics of it? Now you got me curious...

Where is the add you got it from?

As I thought, it's not even a SJ4000. It's a generic-sports-action-dv-whatever they want to call it-camera that looks like a SJ4000, so not having car mode and not charging while recording doesn't surprise me now. And WiFi to boot? It's like putting a V8 engine on a Honda Civic!

God, look how many people that seller has cheated so far!

Wow, talk about fake! I don't believe that's even a SJCAM. The real SJ4000 WiFi doesn't do 60fps
That's not exactly true. Even the genuine SJ4000 (with or without Wifi) claims to shoot 720p mode up to 60fps, but we all know their 60fps is fake. It just shows each image in 30fps twice, thus ends up with 60fps.

I don't think its that bad ...

if you subtract the cost of a waterproof case off (£10) that leaves the camera at £30 and with a bit of focussing I reckon there would be a big improvement.

The sd card supplied works fine ... until you switch the wifi on and record via the app at which point files are all corrupted ,......I have tested with a better card and it works fine on wifi with that.

It definitely needs a refocus, but the 170 lens performs the same over its entire field of view which looks promising and I like the fact it draws things closer and have tested the distance that it can read numberplates and its pretty good and that can only improve with proper focussing...

Claims to be useful as a dashcam but although the power lead switches on the device it doesn't switch on the recording and when you do switch that on manually.... it cuts the charging of the battery off and runs on battery for some reason... strangely if you set it on timelapse it does charge the battery on that setting.

I will be returning this one because of the sd card, the claimed dashcam feature, out of focus lens, and unable to charge itself while in 1080 mode....

BUT...

I have found one that is a differing fake with the same 170 lens and states it charges itself while in 1080 mode and has a dashcam setting ... but also uses a better app with many more settings available over wifi and should it arrive slightly off focus I would adjust it and vent the camera on the top to prevent heat build up.... and its cheaper !!!

That's not exactly true. Even the genuine SJ4000 (with or without Wifi) claims to shoot 720p mode up to 60fps, but we all know their 60fps is fake. It just shows each image in 30fps twice, thus ends up with 60fps.
I wasn't talking about what they claim the camera does. We both know that the SJ4000, in reality, doesn't do 60fps. So, how come that's not true?

And based on this...
...it could never be a genuine SJ4000.

I wasn't talking about what they claim the camera does. We both know that the SJ4000, in reality, doesn't do 60fps. So, how come that's not true?

When I said "that's not exactly true" I am replying to your statement of "The real SJ4000 WiFi doesn't do 60fps". Well SJ4000 does do 60fps in 720p but it just shows the same image twice in 30fps, not 60 genuine changing frames like petepete implied. Watch Techmoan's review on a SJ4000 Wifi where he mentions it at time 24:48 in the video -

Well SJ4000 does do 60fps in 720p but it just shows the same image twice in 30fps, not 60 genuine changing frames like petepete implied.
Well, in that case 30+30 is not 60, isn't it?
Let's just leave it there because now that we know what camera he bought, there's no point us continuing to agree with each other. :D

£38 price puts it on par with a g1wh..

able to comment in a positive or negative manner ?

Just because two completely different cameras are in the same price range as one another doesn't put them on par.

The "original" SJ4000 was a clone of the GoPro and it has been knocked-off more times than anyone can count at this point. Each succeeding copy seems to be cheaper in quality than the previous one. So this one is a clone, of a clone, of a clone at a minimum. It seems almost comical to pose the question, "any good?" You get what you pay for, as they say.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Actually technically there are only 2 clones for sale in todays market

the sport 8 and the db sj4000.. whatever named they are one version or the other..

The db has all dashcam features, the sport 8 doesn't - but does other things the db doesn't.

Both have their uses and I think you get a bit of a bargain "starter kit" with both packages that many would be happy with and probably wouldn't be bothered to move "up" from....

( the db has 99650 0330 and without wifi retails at g1wh price and I would certainly chose it over the g1wh for the 170 lens and smaller form factor despite everyones unfounded fear " my god a thief will spot it a mile off as it

looks like a go pro >>>> as if ! )

AS for you get what you pay for..... remind me why I didn't stump up for an 0806 at £90 that then rose to £100 on the back of a catalogue of faults and failures that would leave many wide open to failing to capture the footage

they needed in time of crisis etc ... expensive differing dashcams time after time !!!!!

I have a xaiomi now that I hav nt had time to unwrap and sort and being as everyone is obsessed with increasing bit rate, I ve had to buy to see what it actually does and if the wifi is reliable etc...( £58 next day delivery... bargain fulfilled by amazon) )

Back