Fake Thinkware U1000?

Ludus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time lurker here... finally got around to getting myself a Thinkware U1000 after weeks of researching for the best 4K dashcam for my new car. I came across an eBay listing last night which had the dual U1000 for sale for £339.99 ($462.54), I managed to get the seller down to £335 ($455.75), that's a saving of £140 ($190.39) compared to the regular retail price anywhere else online...

Here is the listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233768648100

I'm just wondering if this a genuine Thinkware product or not, the price seems very low to me so I'm a bit suspicious. The price does seem to be inline with the single channel front facing U1000 only, but this listing does state the dual channel front and rear system, so whether i'll actually end up getting both we'll have to wait and see. However, the seller only had 3 available for sale, if these were fakes there should surely be a lot more available for sale. I tried pushing for a further discount via Best Offer but the seller was having none of it, wouldn't even give me a fiver off so maybe that's saying something. But the seller assures me this is a 100% genuine Thinkware product.

Are there any things I should look out for when it arrives that might indicate whether the product is a fake? Is there any way to verify a genuine Thinkware product, maybe even confirm the serial number with Thinkware?
Would a fake Thinkware dashcam link to the Thinkware app?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have never come across a Fake U1000 yet however i can't trace back who that seller is from details on ebay. I can check Serial Number for you when you have it, in fact i would like to do that as i want to know who is selling this!!

I have never come across a Fake U1000 yet however i can't trace back who that seller is from details on ebay. I can check Serial Number for you when you have it, in fact i would like to do that as i want to know who is selling this!!
I'd hate to get anyone in trouble :oops:

I will let you know the serial number as soon as it arrives.

I'm sure all cam manufacturers have agreements with their authorized sellers regards MAP (minimum advertised price) which is common with all sorts of products. Any seller who agrees to these terms needs to hold up their end of the deal. This kind of thing is made very clear to sellers, there can be no misunderstanding it.

While I personally don't like such arrangements as they can artificially keep pricing high, being honest and fulfilling your obligations is more important, so if they've not broken their word nobody will be getting in trouble ;) If they have broken their word then they deserve what they get :cautious:

At worst this will allow Thinkware to know if someone is now faking their cams so they can act to protect future buyers (y)

Phil

I'm just wondering if this a genuine Thinkware product or not, the price seems very low to me so I'm a bit suspicious.
Could be just that they have not paid the VAT and import tax, and since it is above both tax thresholds you will be liable to pay both VAT and import tax. They do say that they haven't paid taxes. It is hard to buy a decent camera cheaply!

the seller has a good reputation and the item comes from Hong Kong.
From experience i know that some things are VERY cheap there, like camera equipment, when in general HK is very expensive.
Just keep your fingers crossed you won't get scr*wed on customs dues...

They say that it is „Last one”.

I remember few years ago were some problems buying Itronics dashcam because korean manufacturer doesn't want his cameras to be sold outside Korea but some ebay sellers managed to sell it. For me the Itronics was one of the best dashcams ever. Best low light image I saw at that time, no other dashcam was even close to them.

enjoy,
Mtz

Could be just that they have not paid the VAT and import tax, and since it is above both tax thresholds you will be liable to pay both VAT and import tax. They do say that they haven't paid taxes. It is hard to buy a decent camera cheaply!

the seller has a good reputation and the item comes from Hong Kong.
From experience i know that some things are VERY cheap there, like camera equipment, when in general HK is very expensive.
Just keep your fingers crossed you won't get scr*wed on customs dues...

Yeah I'm sure the low price is due to no tax and VAT. We'll see what bill i get footed with when it arrives. Usually chinese sellers mark items as gifts and then undervalue them as to bypass the import taxes, so hopefully i'll get away with it, doubt it though, I bought a similarly priced headunit from china a year ago - I got a massive bill through the post, then COVID hit and i've heard nothing from them since, despite attempting to pay multiple times, this was over a year ago now so hopefully it's just been lost in the system somewhere :ROFLMAO:

If it’s anything like most items sent from China etc you will be hit with a 25% minimum charge. Unless of course the value is declared a lot below its true cost.
A mate of mine bought something from Usa but on the import documents it had the original manufacturing country which was Malaysia.
He got hit with massive charges and it cost him nearly double what he could have bought it in the UK.
With the sellers feedback I cannot see it being fake anyway.

If it’s anything like most items sent from China etc you will be hit with a 25% minimum charge.
I think it should be 3.3% import tax followed by 20% VAT, which will still be less than the Amazon.uk price.
Some delivery companies add a handling fee which can be excessive.
It is also not easy to return, so in general I think it is better to buy from UK sellers.

For cheap stuff, less than the £15 threshold below which there has been been no VAT or tax, it has been worthwhile importing, but the £15 threshold is disappearing from 2021, there should now be VAT on everything, but responsibility for paying it has moved to the seller for anything under £135. Should mean no more unexpected charges from the delivery companies, and prices we can trust, but do note that threshold.

They say that it is „Last one”.

I remember few years ago were some problems buying Itronics dashcam because korean manufacturer doesn't want his cameras to be sold outside Korea but some ebay sellers managed to sell it. For me the Itronics was one of the best dashcams ever. Best low light image I saw at that time, no other dashcam was even close to them.

enjoy,
Mtz

I only saw this post today, mainly because I've bought a U1000 - but I also had a Itronics camera and have to completely agree - they were different class. Mine died after years and years of service, and having saved an insurance claim against a liar HGV that hit me on a motorway. Even after breaking (SD beeping, multiple cards etc), it was used in my girlfriend's car (if you removed the SD, reinserted it would mostly work). Best thing is no matter what recording problem it had, it would ALWAYS signal a problem. Even cameras today seem to sometimes struggle to do the obvious - tell me when you're not recording! So yes, whatever happened to ITronics - they were class!

I only saw this post today, mainly because I've bought a U1000 - but I also had a Itronics camera and have to completely agree - they were different class. Mine died after years and years of service, and having saved an insurance claim against a liar HGV that hit me on a motorway. Even after breaking (SD beeping, multiple cards etc), it was used in my girlfriend's car (if you removed the SD, reinserted it would mostly work). Best thing is no matter what recording problem it had, it would ALWAYS signal a problem. Even cameras today seem to sometimes struggle to do the obvious - tell me when you're not recording! So yes, whatever happened to ITronics - they were class!
They are still around but only sell in Korea. Didn't expand outside Korea like Blackvue or Thinkware. Most of their products are large rectangular dash cams now.
Itronics Dash Cams

They are still around but only sell in Korea. Didn't expand outside Korea like Blackvue or Thinkware. Most of their products are large rectangular dash cams now.
Itronics Dash Cams
Ahh that’s a shame - I liked the original cylinder cams

my first dashcam has a page on this very site…

Up until 3 days ago, I still used the itronics battery saver - itv-80 I think with my blackvue!

Back