Fan noise from NVR

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
I ordered from internet some no-name 16CH NVR with 4K output. The CCTV part for me is not very important, it is more a hobby so I don't want to spend too much money on it.
I returned it in the same day without installing it just because when I powered it on, the fan was too noisy for my expectations. The NVR input is 12V from external power source so is no needing to cool the power source.

What advice do you have?
The NVR needs to work with ONVIF standard. Maybe I will need just 8-9 channels, not 16.

enjoy,
Mtz

Even my 4 channel have a little loud fan that i am glad are not placed in my bedroom.
I have been thinking on putting another cooling profile on it, maybe one of my old heat pipe coolers, but so far never gotten around to it.

What is cooling that fan? CPU? PCB? HDD? Power source? Because I was expecting from a NVR compared to a DVR to not become so hot.

The fan are cooling the SOC, you have to remember in my case its like the heat from 4 dashcams in one place where it get processed.
But my friend had a newer version of my 4 channel Dahua and his while it looked much the same it did not have a fan inside.
Maybe it was due to mine having a build in switch with 4 input plugs, where my friends version only had one so he had to connect his cameras to a switch and then from there into his NVR

The 10 gigabit network on my motherbord do get mighty hot and i think it is the reason there are a small fan behind the back IO panel of the motherboard, so maybe the 4 port switch build into my NVR also generate some heat in the small case and so the SOC need active cooling.

I am just using the 1 gigabit network plug on my computer as it dont make a difference on my 1 gbit download speed if i use one or the other, i always max out on 940 mbit.

So can be NVR without cooling fan at all? Or maybe only the 4 channels can be fanless?

If it is a very small noisy 20mm or 40mm fan blowing air into the case, then normally it is fairly easy to cut a big hole in the top of the case and fit a much bigger 80mm, or even 120mm low speed "quiet" fan which will do a better job of cooling and make maybe 5% of the noise of the original. For a small fan to move much air it needs to spin fast and that makes a lot of annoying noise. The downside is that a large fan takes more space or needs a bigger case, so the manufacturers avoid using them, but if space is not a problem then upgrade it. You don't need a more powerful fan, just a bigger one, bigger fans are more efficient since they don't turn so much power into noise, so if you get one of the same wattage as the original then you can just plug it in in place of the original, it will provide better cooling and be much quieter.

I haven't seen any consumer sized NVR that have a fan just for pumping air into the case, my 40 mm fan are inside on the SOC ( well i assume SOC ) to cool that, pretty silly cuz not much ventilation in the little dahua i have.
I have planned on making a cutout in the top and then put on another cooling profile and a larger fan on the outside of the case as there are not room for a 80 mm or so inside.
I also have a few Thermalright heat pipe coolers that are meant for chip sets in computers, it will come out of the case quite a bit, but that don't bother me much.
I think in my friends passive NVR the PCB might be flipped and the bottom metal plate then act as a heat sink, but i cant recall from when i put the HDD in the enclosure for him.

I replaced the fan in my DVR with one bought from these guys Quietpc.com and also replaced the feet with their soft silicon versions and it’s now much quieter. The DVR is in the study adjacent to our bedroom and modern British houses have ”egg box” internal walls which offer little sound insulation.

Back