Faster than allowed

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
The maximum speed limit on the motorways in the UK whilst towing a trailer, is 60mph.

As I was doing 70mph thereabouts, this guy was over the speed limit for towing. Had he for any reason lost control, the fishtailing would have made his speedboat a no-speed boat...

Video recorded on the new Nextbase 522GW dashcam.

Paul.

Yesterday a dumb ass cyclist almost got run over by me, but luckily for her i was on to her brainless idiot phone talking ass, so had my foot hovering over the brake.
She too will feature in my next upload to youtube.

These idiotic cyclists are one of the main reasons i got into dashcams, cuz if i touch one of those with my car i have to pay for and retake the driving test, and no way in hell will that go down quiet or uncontested with me.

The maximum speed limit on the motorways in the UK whilst towing a trailer, is 60mph.

As I was doing 70mph thereabouts, this guy was over the speed limit for towing. Had he for any reason lost control, the fishtailing would have made his speedboat a no-speed boat...

Video recorded on the new Nextbase 522GW dashcam

Paul.

Good to see that you were driving in the correct lane Paul.

well the trucker honked, so the run away driver can always claim he felt threatened and was traumatized so he forgot to call police and say he was in a accident.

Here today a 5 year old kid was run down by a cyclist and hurt pretty bad, the pedalpusher just left the scene with a severe bleeding and unconscious kid and his distraught mother,,,,,,, no class what so ever.
The childs mother are now searching the cyclist,,,, where as the police do not,,,,,, and here i thought fleeing the scene of a accident was one of the more bad things you could do,,,, but maybe that only apply for motorists.

Don’t forget about Miatas (MX5) :LOL:

Hey, I think the MX5 is a perfectly good tow vehicle! ......for the right load (which does not include that boat!)

46794 46796

Yes, that's my car and trailer, circa 2004 (both now sold). The trailer was a kit from Harbor Freight that used a 4x8 sheet of plywood for the floor. I used a second sheet of plywood and some scrap 2x4 to make the stakesides (pockets were included in the kit). I leveled the trailer for use w/ the Miata by both lowering the coupler (it was originally mounted on top of the tongue) and flipping the axle to be above the leaf spring, which required me to then raise the fenders. That still left it with a slight bias towards the tongue (which it SHOULD have), but much closer to level than it was before. Also note the carabiners holding the safety chains on - regular s-hooks kept getting knocked off by things like speed bumps and driveways, so i got those heavy duty carabiners to replace the s-hooks and never had that problem again. in the photo above, i was moving to a new house just a few miles away, so i never actually had a chance to get above 40 mph, not that i would have gone that fast anyway. i took this pic before strapping everything down.

I *DID* take that trailer on the highway (and up to the posted limit of 75mph in some areas) many times, but that was just with a set of race wheels/tires and a plastic tote/toolbox bolted to the floor - less than 200 lbs total in the trailer. the only effect it had on ride quality was the normal bumping/rattling of the hitch in the receiver.

i also used that car/trailer combo to haul my giant mechanic's toolbox a few times. i never took a photo of it loaded up, but that toolbox is twice as tall and twice as wide as the little red tool chest in the above pic - thankfully the top part was removable so i could put it on the floor of the trailer and not be quite so top-heavy. driving with the big tool chest was annoying because the new shop was over 30 miles away, and i couldn't safely get on the highway, so i had to take back roads or service roads, which meant a lot of traffic lights, stop signs, and plain old traffic. thankfully first gear in the miata is short enough and it had enough torque that i didn't have to slip the clutch any more than normal to get going. i don't know how much the box w/ tools inside actually weighs, but i'm sure it was pretty close to the max capacity of that trailer - about 1000lbs. to load it, we rolled the entire chest over to the automotive lift in the shop, raised the lift so that it was just below the bottom of the top box, then 2 of us lifted the top section onto the lift's arm, backed in the trailer, then lowered the lift onto the trailer and slid the top box into the trailer. pull trailer back out, pick up bottom box w/ lift, drive trailer under it and lower it onto the trailer. then reverse that to unload. when i had to unload it at home once i quit being a mechanic, i just removed all the drawers one at a time, and then the empty box was light enough that i could get it off the trailer by myself. here's a photo of a similar box i found online. for scale, it's tall enough that i have to get on my tiptoes to see into the very top section, and i'm 5' 9" tall.

Last edited:
Just noticed, interesting place for the electric connection, here thats normally down beside the hitch, and often don't work well due to all the dirt that get into the plug ( that have a cap to keep most of it out )

Often placed so you have to get down on hands and knees to connect the plug, and i don't like that cuz i am old and grumpy.

2s281ade00_el_hr002_1_800_529_95.jpg

@Gibson99
My tool chest was just the same back when I wrenched for a living. I once moved it on top of my old Honda Civic 1200 empty with all the drawers stacked and wedged inside the car holding the tools. The suspension was down to the rubber bump-stops o_O It's still safely stored away with specialized tools mostly, but with the regular tools being partially in my van, and partially in a box I keep for a second car.

Many years and many thousands of dollars acquiring my tools and nobody can borrow them beyond my sight- and maybe not even then :ROFLMAO: I'd never dream of selling them, even the ones I'll probably never use again. I'll bet you are the same with yours ;)

Phil

Back in the day, I was able to bring home a new bottom tool chest from Sears into the back of a 1984 Honda CRX. I think it was still in the cardboard and everything.

No idea why we ever got rid of the car. Maybe the lack of the power steering was too much of a pain in the rear.

Back in the day, I was able to bring home a new bottom tool chest from Sears into the back of a 1984 Honda CRX. I think it was still in the cardboard and everything.

No idea why we ever got rid of the car. Maybe the lack of the power steering was too much of a pain in the rear.

View attachment 46849View attachment 46850
If you'll notice, that same tool chest is in my trailer in that picture above. When I first bought it, I didn't have the trailer yet. So when I went to pick it up, I first removed the passenger seat of the Miata (left it at home) and the toolbox just barely fit sitting on the passenger floorboard.

Just noticed, interesting place for the electric connection, here thats normally down beside the hitch, and often don't work well due to all the dirt that get into the plug ( that have a cap to keep most of it out )

Often placed so you have to get down on hands and knees to connect the plug, and i don't like that cuz i am old and grumpy.

2s281ade00_el_hr002_1_800_529_95.jpg
Just realized what you meant by the electrical connection. Thought you were pointing out a charger port on an electric car lol

Yes I ran the trailer wire from inside the trunk. It was just easier that way since there was no grommet or anything I could use to run the wire to the outside easily. The weatherstrip was thick and soft and the 4 wires were thin and flat so there was no issue closing the trunk lid on them, even in the rain.

Back