FCC Class A ? Class B? which is required in the US?

Hugh Choe

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Hello, I am curious about FCC certifications.
Some companies like Thinkware says
"This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device"
but some manufacturers say
"This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device"

Does Dashcam need Class B? or Class A?

Wow !
Legislation is some what of a mine field ...

First there are countless categories ... Like anything that plugs into a mains outlet has to meet certain regulations and standards , not only FCC .
Here in Australia we are currently suffering radio emissions ( noise / interference ) from countless consumer items that would technically be illegal to sell in Australia ...

TV's / Garage Doors / Solar Inverters / and the list is longer than my arm .
Even those capacitors on power poles are causing problems for ham radio operators ...
And anything that causes interference is technically illegal .

So first you need to visit said Government Website ...
2nd , you may need to submit your product for testing ( if such is needed )

http://www.zistek.com/certification-car-dashcam/ = Some certificates ( ? For what they are worth )

I am unaware of any cam with a certification sticker ( official ) ....
But then I don't own THAT many cams ...

On a quick look it seems that dashcams (unintentional radiators) being marketed to the public fall under Class A while those intended for commercial or industrial use would be Class B. Wifi is an intentional radiator so is classified differently. I don't have time to dig through that ;)

The honest truth is that the FCC doesn't test Part 15 devices for compliance, instead relying on the company to have it tested and approved in a certified lab. Many if not most Part 15 devices actually do not meet the certification standards. Few get caught cheating because there isn't enough manpower to test every device and only the ones most complained about ever see any regulatory action :eek:

On the user end it doesn't matter which Class it's in, as consumers requirements are the same either way. Just like most of the electronics you own, your cam may not interfere with any licensed devices and must accept any interference it receives.

Phil

Back