FCWS and LDWS - do they even work?

Tigro

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I'm a new A119 owner and when going throught the menu, I decided to turn on Forward Collision Warning System and Lane Departure Warning System just to try them out. Neither made a sound when I went for a test ride, though - do they even work? Do you have to meet some specific requirements for one or the other to fire? Or do they only work in some specific scenarios/support only some countries' lane markings?

I'm a new A119 owner and when going throught the menu, I decided to turn on Forward Collision Warning System and Lane Departure Warning System just to try them out. Neither made a sound when I went for a test ride, though - do they even work? Do you have to meet some specific requirements for one or the other to fire? Or do they only work in some specific scenarios/support only some countries' lane markings?
These feature require the GPS mount to work and they only work in 1080p@30 resolution or less. Most just find them annoying and disable them.

These feature require the GPS mount to work and they only work in 1080p@30 resolution or less. Most just find them annoying and disable them.
Sure, I do have the GPS mount but had no idea they required 1080p/30 or less to function. This renders them pretty much useless anyway, then. Thanks for explaining :)

Sure, I do have the GPS mount but had no idea they required 1080p/30 or less to function. This renders them pretty much useless anyway, then. Thanks for explaining :)

resolution aside ADAS functionality in any dashcam is useless, even in the most expensive cameras, it's a gimmick feature in any aftermarket device, if it's something built into the vehicle from the factory is the only way they can work correctly

here's an example of proper ADAS integrated from the factory

Yep, didn't really expect much from it, wanted to just take it for a spin and probably turn it off for a lifetime. Thanks for the reassuring info that I'm not really missing out on anything with it off :)

Yes, I saw these functions but no, I never even tried. Because I have zero faith that it could contribute anything whatsoever, far too complex task for a generic stand alone gadget.

For sure, I've driven BMW series 7 vehicles with a good implementation of those ideas, a vibration in the steering wheel indicates when you are about to depart from your lane without flashing your turn blinker signal. Works fine but requires far more integration into the vehicles core systems to work as intended.

So I just leave those functions in deactivated state, only unwanted trouble I'm certain and I have no time/energy for that.

These two features, like many of the "state of the art" features of many brand new cars, are things I really hate!!

The concept is well intended... but if a person's eyes and ability to control a vehicle don't work well enough that they have to have all these "safety" features, they either shouldn't be driving, or they should be uploading some fantastic youtube footage for us all :D

I imagine LDW goes crazy at temporary lane markings too!

Both work rather well (for me) with one exception: FCWS gets a little touchy when in bumper to bumper traffic. I actually turned it into a game - to see if I can make it to and from work without alarms :)
This is on Garmin Dash Cam 55 BTW.

Is it true that LDWS and FCWS are only working with a GPS antenna on the A119?

I have LDWS built in to my VW Mk2 Tiguan, and it’s also adaptive, by which it uses the car’s inbuilt camera in the rear view mirror housing to ‘read’ the white lines on either side of the road.
The car will ‘learn’ how you drive in the lane and if it deviates it will steer the car back in lane automatically. Using the indicators will override it for overtaking and moving back in lane.

You have to maintain contact with the steering wheel, as, if it keeps having to correct it will bring up a warning, and if you still ignore it, the brakes will act momentarily, and again if you ignore it, it will slowly bring the car to a standstill as it assumes you are in trouble.

Great for motorway driving and dual carriageways where markings are usually prominent, but I don’t use it on other roads.

Considering how complicated this has to be for an ‘in-built’ system, I would be very reluctant to put my trust in a bog standard dashcam version.

LDWS and FCWS get very annoying after a while. I prefer to use my common sense rather than some bit of electronics. As for self drive cars is there an automatic off to hospital mode:p.

LDWS and FCWS get very annoying after a while. I prefer to use my common sense rather than some bit of electronics. As for self drive cars is there an automatic off to hospital mode:p.

I certainly agree about the ‘self-driving’ cars. I shudder to think of the consequences. All of these electronic ‘aids’ need to be used with a modicum of common sense, and should not be relied on to be absolutely 100% perfect.
Indeed they should be used as ‘aids’ and not substitute drivers!.

That was wrong, the FCWS of my A119 started today when I was driving relatively fast into a parking spot, when there was a fence in front of my car.

The warning beeps also did not stop until I turned the camera off.

That was wrong, the FCWS of my A119 started today when I was driving relatively fast into a parking spot, when there was a fence in front of my car.

The warning beeps also did not stop until I turned the camera off.
Do you have GPS? If not, you should have those features turn off anyway. Those functions need GPS to operate, so the beeps your hearing may be something else? What did the screen display when this beeping was happening? If the beeps didn't stop until you turned off the camera, you may have an issue somewhere.

FCWS works without GPS but not very well even with a GPS, LDWS does not work without a GPS. They are both very annoying.

If LDWS works on your A119, you can be really happy. I never managed to make it work. Possible bad roads, little visible white lines, or just a camera.
FCWS works, but really ridiculous. It has to be the right angle on the road from the lens, it has to go just straight (in the corners it reacts to the trees) and still beeps almost all the time.
These nonsense are just marketing and should not be used.

Never try it but I turned both off. My car has it installed by default (VW-Arteon)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M A119 9
D A119 3
RCPilot A119 4
Back