Feature request for future version

Vincenzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious if it would be possible in a future version to add a second micro sd slot for a redundant memory card. I don't know if it would be feasible or not, but it definitely would have helped me out today.

I was in a minor collision this morning. When I got to work I took my sd card out of the camera so I could save the video. Unfortunately, as soon as I put the card in my PC I found that it was corrupted and unreadable. So unfortunately I don't have any video of the incident. It was working last time I checked, but that was probably a month ago or so. I have the main video unit installed in my glove compartment, so I almost never open it to verify that it's working. I would put money on the fact that most people with these installed in a hidden location don't regularly look at head unit so they might not know it's not working until it's too late.

I have mine in my central armrest up front and check it multiple times a day.
Have you tried an SD card recovery tool? I think transcend do one

memory cards are always a point of failure and need to be checked from time to time to make sure they're healthy, what card where you using?

I have mine in my central armrest up front and check it multiple times a day.
Have you tried an SD card recovery tool? I think transcend do one

Yeah, I'm going to definitely re-locate the head unit after this so I can see it and verify that everything is functioning correctly. I have tried a couple of tools with no luck yet. Everything just tells me that the card needs to be formatted or that it cant find anything. Going to try the PhotoRec one next that Pier28 just recommended.

memory cards are always a point of failure and need to be checked from time to time to make sure they're healthy, what card where you using?

Yeah I realize that now and I know it's not the fault of the dash cam. These things get a lot of use and aren't in a great environment, so memory failures are understandable. I just kind of took it for granted after having no issues for so long, and I just didn't think about it much anymore. "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" so they say. I'm definitely not going to make that mistake again. I'm going to relocate the head out of the glove box so to somewhere I can see it from the drivers seat.

I am using a PNY High Preformance 128gb. I think the model number was P-SDUX128U1-GE. Purchased a little under a year ago

regular once over and format is always good practice, PNY are generally quite good cards in my experience

If the cards have failed try and get a replacement under warranty. It's definitely worth buying them from amazon because their customer service is so good they won't even bat an eyelid if you ask for a replacement. I've done it a couple of times.... Even if they aren't the very cheapest at that point in time it's worth it to save you the hassle later down the line!

Its maybe easy if the dashcam have some kind of test for the memory card.

Making a dashcam that writes in 2 memory cards seams complicated and expensive.

Its maybe easy if the dashcam have some kind of test for the memory card.

Making a dashcam that writes in 2 memory cards seams complicated and expensive.

I'm sure that the cam already has a function check for the memory card. I'll put money on the fact that had I looked at the screen I would have seen the error and thus not had an issue.

In theory it really shouldn't be that expensive or complicated. In practice I don't know. Using multiple data storage devices for the purpose of redundancy has been standard in computers for important data for a long time. This would be the same as using a RAID 1 configuration in a computer. Again, like I said, I don't know if it would be feasible or not in a dash cam, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up.

be good when they eventually be able to have SSD's

My biggest issue is the red power light being on front of the remote cam. It draws attention to the camera. I dont like that. I would rather it be on the back so that I can see that the cam is on seeing that the other unit is usually tucked away in a console or glove box.

Back