[Feb-02-2015] Beginner's/Buyer's Guide to Dash Cams

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blaaaaahhh!!! So I spent all day and then some working on this video. Was already planning on doing something like this, and then recently I got a few requests for it so I finally did it. Won't be useful for regulars here but I tried to cover as much as I could in about half an hour.

Any suggestions or corrections I would appreciate. I know some people will disagree with my opinion on bitrate or a few other personal preferences but the point is to educate people on all the different types of features different dash cameras have and what the benefit is. I plan on updating the video and reuploading updated versions over time.

The only thing I noticed missing is the hard wiring kits battery will also wear out in time. They also will have less amperage available in cold weather which will reduce how long they keep the dash cams rolling. Of course this is a minor concern that anyone who can think will realize.

I thought you missed the g sensor possibly filling up the sd card but after listening a couple of times I noticed that you had that in there.

Having absolutely no experience at all with dash cams but having read some and watched a few videos about them I think you covered about everything.

oh yeah pretty cool. ive sent it to a few people who im trying to get into dashcams.

The only thing I noticed missing is the hard wiring kits battery will also wear out in time. They also will have less amperage available in cold weather which will reduce how long they keep the dash cams rolling. Of course this is a minor concern that anyone who can think will realize.

I thought you missed the g sensor possibly filling up the sd card but after listening a couple of times I noticed that you had that in there.

Having absolutely no experience at all with dash cams but having read some and watched a few videos about them I think you covered about everything.
Yea i might add an annotation about the external battery life. I know that's an issue and forgot to mention it especially in cases like mine if I drain it almost every day. Which is why i have been unplugging them when I don't need them.

Thanks @USDashCamera, really nice presentation. I did notice though that there was no mention at all of FOV which is a feature that many prospective dashcam buyers look at thinking the higher numbers are must be better.

Thanks @USDashCamera, really nice presentation. I did notice though that there was no mention at all of FOV which is a feature that many prospective dashcam buyers look at thinking the higher numbers are must be better.
oh thats a good point. I will take note of that.

I haven't considered it much myself since I feel like majority of cams now have a decent FOV and there haven't been many that were too extreme to bother me personally except maybe that weird two lens garmin. I know my blackvue 650 used a lower FOV than the 550 because people didn't like how wide it was.... or from what I remember reading.

maybe I should compile a list of more advanced specs to look at too for a second video. i tried to make this video less than half an hour but still hit 34 min.

Didn't you post this on /r/roadcam? Lol fancy seeing you here

Didn't you post this on /r/roadcam? Lol fancy seeing you here
Yea i post all my videos on /r/dashcam and any actual footage on /r:Roadcam. I posted this one on Roadcam because I figured a lot of people don't go to /r/dashcam and just hoped mods wouldn't delete it and they never did hah.

I actually got footage from an accident this week. My mother had my mobius and she was in a multi-car accident few days ago. Waiting for insurance to make an agreement before I post it but we are expecting she gets zero liability.

*facepalm*

just noticed there is a typo in the preview image. says "Beginners's Guide." Fixed it, but it drives me crazy because even when I clear my cookies it doesn't always update the image for me.

Edit: It's gonna be in that video for good haha but I meant I was just fixing the preview image at least.

Last edited:
OCD anyone :D

Dashcam buyers guide to the galaxy, and it is a galaxy where many of the "stars" look the same at a distance.
And out there in the dark there is black holes that will suck the mony right out of your wallet ;)

Reactions: map
*facepalm*

just noticed there is a typo in the preview image. says "Beginners's Guide." Fixed it, but it drives me crazy because even when I clear my cookies it doesn't always update the image for me.

It's still showing the typo for me.

Good evening, I just watched the whole video. I have to admit that I really like your voice :p It's perfect for videos like this one.
I think your guide really useful for everyone who wants a dashcam.
Two things i "disliked":
The mic mute sound... Argh! :D
And sometimes the subtitle was a bit distracting.
But that are just minor issues.

btw: I don't see that typo.

Nice video, but when I hear that voice I am thinking to grumpy cat.

Grumpy_Cat.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Good evening, I just watched the whole video. I have to admit that I really like your voice :p It's perfect for videos like this one.
I think your guide really useful for everyone who wants a dashcam.
Two things i "disliked":
The mic mute sound... Argh! :D
And sometimes the subtitle was a bit distracting.
But that are just minor issues.

btw: I don't see that typo.
Yea I bought a new mic hoping to get better sound but it still does it. What I can do is cut the beginning and end of every recording but it gets tedious. I need better software.

A lot of the subtitles were because I used footage from old videos. A lot of the cameras I don't have anymore so I used old footage.

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely trying to raise the quality of my videos and audio has been my biggest concern.

It's still showing the typo for me.
Well I can't change the video I just meant I updated the preview image. But it might still have the old one for people who saw it before I changed it.

Back