fed up with buying replacement SD cards

TJS01

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep having a persistent problem where the card is generating a lot of protected files (I guess there's a lot of potholes in Lincolnshire).. however, every couple of weeks I use the Format Card facility on the 512GW to clear it down - as it's virtually impossible to clear protected files using my mac. The side effect of keeping clearing the card down seems to be that every day we're driving (with the voice commands set to ON) it keeps saying 'Recording stopped' - not helpful as you then have to keep leaning over whilst driving to turn it on again..

If I didn't have the audio commands switched on then I'd probably miss the fact that the damn thing isn't actually recording!

The main issue is that it's got to a point this week where the device is saying there's an issue with the card and it can't re-format it. The card and files seem to read absolutely fine when read from a computer, so what do you think the issue is that's preventing me from reformatting?

Wouldn't mind buying another card... but this will be the 3rd damn card in a year.. so my patience is wearing a little thin..

R

The card in question is a SanDisk Ultra 64Gb XC1 10

Is this the new Ultra A1 card or the older Ultra series card? The older Ultra cards should be avoided in dash cameras. The new Ultra A1 cards (must say A1 on the card), have been reliable so far.

Thanks I'll try and see if I get on with the other replacement Ultra A1 card... shame there wasn't any explicit recommendations like this when you have to buy your card in the first place.

Is 30MB/s fast enough? That is currently one of the snags with endurance cards.

I'm sure I've read here Nextbase recommending 50MB/s minimum.

I agree 100% paying a bit extra and using Scan.

When I purchased the card I asked Tiffany and was told it was okay.
The blub on the card pack and from Scan was that is was suitable for dash cams, at £60+ it certainly ought to be!

Will post some pic when its back up and running.

The new Kingston endurance card i have in my SG9663DC seem to be flawless, but it have only filled the card one time. It is the cheapest endurance cars here, easy 25 - 50% lower price of other endurance models.

I have had no issues with cards off Amazon, both sold by amazon or seller on Amazon, Amazon have a new card in my mailbox like lightning, and the seller there had the EU main office of the brand ( Trancend ) send me a new one.
So in my book shop Amazon ( fulfilled by ) or your local stores which i also do my best to support and where i have also gotten above and beyond RMA support on cards with no warrenty for dashcam use..

Blackvue have a handy bitrate table for their dashcams. My 750S 2CH for example, the max figures for Full HD (1080) @60 front and Full HD @30 rear are 25 and 10 Mb/s respectively. And for anyone not good a sume, that's 35Mb/s total. EDIT: (And for those of us who are not very good at spelling, read "at sums"):oops:
Interestingly, the 1440 UHD 900S 2CH has exactly the same max bit rate as the 750, despite the resolution increasing from 1080 to 1440. Go figure.

Last edited:
35 mbit thats about 5 Megabytes every second of write speed needed.

my Kingston i think have a 30 MB/s write speed, that should in theory be fine for a 240 Mb/s stream of data.

My Samsung card writes at 60MB/s and has been rock solid for ages.

Here are the diagnostics of an older Sandisk v the Sammy:

Can anybody recommend this card ?
Spec says up to 90Mb/s write speed.

81TTUPZWacL._SL1500_.jpg

Or the slightly cheaper option below ?
Although, not sure about the write speed.
61iWTnvk0xL._SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
I keep having a persistent problem where the card is generating a lot of protected files (I guess there's a lot of potholes in Lincolnshire).. however, every couple of weeks I use the Format Card facility on the 512GW to clear it down - as it's virtually impossible to clear protected files using my mac. The side effect of keeping clearing the card down seems to be that every day we're driving (with the voice commands set to ON) it keeps saying 'Recording stopped' - not helpful as you then have to keep leaning over whilst driving to turn it on again..

If I didn't have the audio commands switched on then I'd probably miss the fact that the damn thing isn't actually recording!

The main issue is that it's got to a point this week where the device is saying there's an issue with the card and it can't re-format it. The card and files seem to read absolutely fine when read from a computer, so what do you think the issue is that's preventing me from reformatting?

Wouldn't mind buying another card... but this will be the 3rd damn card in a year.. so my patience is wearing a little thin..

R

The card in question is a SanDisk Ultra 64Gb XC1 10
Have the same problem had a accident and the dam thing didn't rec

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One thing to watch, that has been posted here before, is that when you have an accident and you have files on the card before and/or after, search all directories on the card as that one critical file may be on there but somewhere else due to the 'thud' - high G force.

Samsung Evo, have been my default card for a few years. Cheap from Amazon in the US, not worth trying something else.

As an observation to this discussion

MB
Mb
mb

Three very different things!

BTW, in the several years I have had a dash cam (various makes but never a Nextbase until now), I have never had an issue with failing SD cards.

I use the same cards in my dash cam as I do in my normal cameras and make sure I stick to premium brands such as Sandisk, Integral, Transcend and Samsung and make sure I buy something of a suitable speed but I have never bought anything claiming to be “high endurance “

I also get my footage off the camera by taking the card out of the camera, putting it in a card reader on my Mac, downloading the files and putting it back. It’s quite rare I reformat the card in the camera.

Which all questions some of the above statements.

Back