|Feedback Wanted| Help me improve my website

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Hi guys,

Ever since I first joined this forum, I managed to learn lots of things, met great people and in some occasions helped and got help by members here and there.

I am not sure how many of you know, but I have a tiny website http://sjcamguides.com/ where I write about action cameras only.

So, if someone wants to help out, I would like to get as much feedback as possible on my website. I would really like to improve it.

You can suggest anything you wish, either a design suggestion, content suggestion, branding idea, grammar error, articles needing more info, etc
If you have any sort of idea for an article, or want to publish yours that would be great.

Any critic, feedback or idea is welcome.

Also if someone in any way wants to help me out with website content or anything, feel free to drop me a pm.

Thank you in advance. I will create a special page on the site for people who helped me along the way.

Here are some ideas I have, will be updated with suggestions you guys hopefully bring up.
_________

Here are some of the ideas I have :
  • Create a buying guide for a.cameras
  • Add a tool where people can solve a quiz and as a result get a camera matching their needs.
  • Improve my grammar
  • Do more video reviews
  • Do more DIY articles
  • Fix Table on deals page - Thanks JooVuuu
  • (Implemented) Figure out what to do with compare category - Thanks JooVuuu
  • Find more stores which sell action cameras Thanks JooVuuu
  • (Implemented) Fix footer - Thanks mollydog
  • (Implemented) Rebrand - Thanks mollydog
  • Fix homepage middle (feature articles instead, news, upcoming cameras) - Thanks mollydog
  • Add news on upcoming cameras - Thanks GitUp

Last edited:
Hey @Pavle
Big fan of your guides and I read all new ones.

I think your guides are about as thorough as they get and they are really really good. The only problem is that everything on that website just seems like a front for GearBest. Every link to buy a product is to gearbest which means you earn money from them (as they all go through sharesale) and as such whilst you keep your objectivity you will limit yourself simply because the bigger you get the more it will seem you are just a mouth piece for GB. I understand you have to earn money as web hosting is not cheap (good hosting anyway) and neither is your time but maybe have links to other websites for products as at least this way you seem to be more 'neutral' rather than just GB.

The design is very nice but allignment is sometimes out http://sjcamguides.com/deals/ this just seems like a table scaling issue and should be very easy to fix.

Compare...doesn't actually seem to compare it just takes you to a product category.

I personally would make your guides more of a 'centre' piece rather than just something on the website as they really are incredibly good.

Also as far as I can tell, blog, compare, guides, all have the same content...either streamline this or stop with the cross links as this will eventually start to hurt your SEO.

I really don't mean to be too critical these are just my observations.

Dan

@JooVuu Many thanks for honest and in-depth insight Dan. I agree with everything and will try to fix those technical issues on the site soon.
About GB, I link only to a place where product can be purchased the cheapest and where I buy them personally. It would be unfair to recommend a store I never bought anything from for instance. Yes, some of the links are affiliate which helps me maintain website costs (designer, hosting, plugins, etc) and more importantly cameras I buy to review. I will try to find out more stores which can be linked to, good advice.
Thanks once again for great tips.

I can't really provide any input as I've not read through your site (though I did see your thread about someone trying to threaten you about it). It takes guts to ask for the public's opinion and feedback on your hard work, so I applaud you for that. Not many people will do that, but as a result, your site can only get better. :thumbsup:

Thanks @Gibson99 I am huge believer in communities and people in them. I agree that any sort of product/site/people can improve from the public feedback. Fingers crossed.

You can think about add a support section(firmware, problem fixing), most of time users can get more info from other website than official website.
And you can post some news for latest action cam industry.

To be honest with you I do not think website should do manufacturers job providing firmwares and problem fixing. It would make sense if site was focused only on one product. Problems are always described in existing reviews anyway.
Thanks for the input @gitup

I’ve just took a peep at your site and first impressions are it looks good, I’ve not read the articles, just browsed the site

I like the top half of your first/index page, but not keen on the middle half which looks like (due to the images) an add from an action camera reseller. myself I would use the index page more as a link to your other topics in a more non commercial looking way and use the space for up and coming articles or to inform of new products that have just been tested or come to market

the foot note aria at the bottom of the index page in my opinion, the text is far too large, and better use could be made of the free space you’d get by making the text/links using a smaller font size

One thing did stand out for me, and that is the use of your site name “SJCAMGUIDES” it lead me to believe the site was targeted towards SJCAM action camera only, so maybe a thought on another name that also reflected action cameras would be good

I do thing the text size on the whole web site is a little on the large size,

myself i wouldn’t have links to just one reseller/provider, you will be seen as rightly/wrongly that you are promote/recommend product/resellers who are paying you, as then people will think your reviews are paid for commercials (known as infomercial) you need to look and act totally independent from anyone (not saying you aren’t)

this is meant to be constructive opinions and not saying all my opinions are correct just saying what I thought of the site

good luck with it and hope it succeeds

To be honest with you I do not think website should do manufacturers job providing firmwares and problem fixing. It would make sense if site was focused only on one product. Problems are always described in existing reviews anyway.
Thanks for the input @gitup
I agree with you it is manufacture job, but this will help the site to get more traffic as most of manufacture not doing well on support.
This will take a lot of time and you review many cameras, it is good to focus on review and buying guide.

@mollydog Thanks for your time, those are some great ideas. I appreciate your suggestion. Very concise and neutral point of view. Indeed I am thinking about rebranding ,but have to find an interesting name with available domain. It will take time to migrate a website to new domain.

I have added all suggestions in first post. If anyone has any other suggestions, or even wants to help in any way, just let me know.

I will be re-branding, but need to find a proper name, so if anyone feels creative, feel free to throw few ideas.

Also I am looking for someone to help me with articles and content, guides, etc so if anyone want to help, get in touch. Contributors will be rewarded for their work indeed, either in money or something else.

Last edited:
@mollydog Thanks for your time, those are some great ideas. I appreciate your suggestion. Very concise and neutral point of view. Indeed I am thinking about rebranding ,but have to find an interesting name with available domain. It will take time to migrate a website to new domain.

I have added all suggestions in first post. If anyone has any other suggestions, or even wants to help in any way, just let me know.

I will be re-branding, but need to find a proper name, so if anyone feels creative, feel free to throw few ideas.

Also I am looking for someone to help me with articles and content, guides, etc so if anyone want to help, get in touch. Contributors will be rewarded for their work indeed, either in money or something else.
pavlescamguides.com
pavlesguides.com
thecameraguide.com
thecamguide.com
TCG.com
camdoeswhat.com
pavlescamreviews.com
pavlesreviews.com
pavlestechreviews.com
plasticandcheap.com

just a few

I’ve not looked to see if these have been taken

worldwideaction
actionworld
worldaction
cameraaction
captureaction
actioncapture
actionguide
digitalaction
actionguys

some food for thought

Wow, thanks so much guys @JooVuu @mollydog great inspiration. Community power!
I only wish I could get an "aha moment" like Dan did with his JooVuu. After I read a blog post how the idea was born, I am thinking I need few beers tonight.

Appreciate all the good feedback you guys provided, I will keep improving the site and if you have any ideas (For website name, for content or anything else), please let me know.

Great name @Gibson99! I already tried that one few days ago, but unfortunately, like most of the others I tried it was already taken :(

I was lucky my domain name was available when I bought it back in 2002 or so. Can't imagine what's left today. Of course there's always .cc and your own country code, but that's not ideal if Serbia is not your target audience. .net is a viable alternative too.

I just wanted to bump the thread and let you guys now I finally found a domain on which website will be migrated. It is nothing sensible, completely random combination of letters and my name forming a 5 character domain.
Once domain purchase is complete, I will post it here.

In the meanwhile, if anyone else has any other suggestions, let me know please.

I will be working on implementing "virtual tour" for cameras I review. Something similar that @JooVuu has for their X camera

Just wanted to thank to all of you who posted suggestions and ideas, I really appreciate it.

looking forward to seeing the new domain name, yes the shorter the name (letters) the more memorable and easier for people to remember :)

Back