Ferrite cores

Ian Brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I installed an A129 a couple of month back, front only whilst I looked at the easiest way to run the rear cable. With just the front camera running there was no problem with DAB radio reception. I then installed the rear camera running the cable at low level trough the car (ford Focus). With the rear camera running the DAB radio was basically useless. I then fitted a ferrite core to both ends of the rear camera cable and DAB radio reception improved a bit. My question is, would there be any improvement if additional ferrite cores are fitted? I haven't got any more to test myself, so if the consensus is that there will be an improvement I'll get some more. Thanks

Sometimes a second one helps- the only way to know is to try. If 2 aren't enough then no point in trying more as almost all they can do for you will happen with 2 of them.

Phil

Sometimes a second one helps- the only way to know is to try. If 2 aren't enough then no point in trying more as almost all they can do for you will happen with 2 of them.

Phil

Hi thanks, do you mean three in total as there is one at each end of the cable currently. Thanks

No, two on each or either end seems to be where their effectiveness greatly diminishes. This based largely on reports from people here on DCT who have had similar issues and tried 3 or more chokes in one place. As every cam and car is different it's just something you have to experiment with to best resolve- hopefully that resolution will be suitable to you.

Some computer cables have these chokes on them; some are molded on and not easily reused and some can be snapped off and used elsewhere (like here). It might be worth a look if you've got access to some of those.

Phil

@SawMaster thanks for your advice about using more than one Ferrite Ring. Back in October 2017, I was advised to fit a ferrite ring to the lead on my rear RoadHawk camera as it affected FM reception on my radio. I tried one Ferrite Ring and it didn't work.

I'm going to look for the bag of ferrite rings and add another one to the lead and play about with the position (either by the dashcam or by the plug).

Regards,

I had a slightly different experience.
There was a noise when the rear camera was connected. The ferrite rings of tse helped. It turned out that just a power supply makes more noise with more energy consumption. The rings moved to the power supply, but did not help. Not removing the rings wrapped the power supply with several layers of food foil and the problem disappeared.

I had a slightly different experience.
There was a noise when the rear camera was connected. The ferrite rings of tse helped. It turned out that just a power supply makes more noise with more energy consumption. The rings moved to the power supply, but did not help. Not removing the rings wrapped the power supply with several layers of food foil and the problem disappeared.
So you just wrapped tin foil around the little power supply box that has the voltage cutoff switch settings on it, and not any of the wires/cables?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's right. Ferrit filters remained near the box, but I do not think that they affect the result. Aluminum foil is "one and a half times thicker" (I don't know what), but I think it's not essential. Tore 10cm across the roll, it turned out to be 3-4

Here's my ferrite core fix on a 2018 Golf. i tried covering bits with foil also, but that didn't work.
HTH

Back