Few questions from a new 0806 owner

OzNjB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just got my 0806 and happy for the most part. Just trying to get it optimized and have a few queries.

I find the exposure is benefiting the sky more than the road etc. I would call the image balance 45% sky 55% road\dash. Exposure is set to the default Center. Is this optimum? Should I tilt down a notch or change the exposure metering type? Note: I have a CPL and find the night time a tad dark but don't want to keep taking CPL on & off. When driving towards the sun the image is washed out & lacking colour so I am reluctant to increase the exposure compensation.

I tested the video lock 'SOS Manual Protect Video" today on a road trip by pressing the down button. The file was duly protected. However the issue is that the whole leg of the trip was protected. I thought it would just protect the current loop segment (3 minute default currently). My concern with the whole trip leg being protected is if the trip goes beyond the storage limit - what happens then? What happens if I try to protect the file multiple times during different legs of a trip? Also if the screen is off do I need to press the down button twice to get it to lock the file? i.e. 1st time to turn screen on and then 2nd time to actually lock\protect?

The best settings for image quality are the default settings.

The centre of the image should be below the horizon on a flat road, doesn't need to be far below.

Every camera has difficulty looking directly into the sun, but washed out images are normally due to reflections off the glass, are you sure the CPL is correctly adjusted? See: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/is-there-too-much-reflection.11864/#post-153367

The SOS will protect the current file, the file leading up to the event and the file following the event. It wont protect more than three for each use, you can use it as many times as you want. The camera will stop recording if it has no space but on a decent size card that is unlikely unless you have the G sensor on.

The screen saver does need a press to cancel it before the keys will work, just like a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find you want more colour, try the cloudy setting. Nigel suggested this and I like it. I have a cpl also, I just leave it on.

Very cool. Now, I know what Nigel was referring to when he said I didn't have my CPL adjusted properly.

But, how can you check it when the 0806 screen is so small?
Park where the Sun hits the dashboard and put a white paper.
You'll see its reflection easily on the screen.
Adjust to the position where it's lowest.

I have had two cpl's and both gave the best result with the white line at 4pm which is handy as it just lines up against the visible joint. I set mine in the sun with paper on the dash. I was in front of a dark open garage and as I turned it, the fuel tank of my bike became more visible in the garage as the reflection of the paper diminished. I understand the lens can be turned within the outer case if you want to get the white line in the best place to reference the position but I have not tried it myself.

4pm from which direction, from inside the car or outside the car?
Come on man!
Time doesn't change with direction nor whether you are inside or outside the car. :D

4pm from which direction, from inside the car or outside the car?

I am am inside the car turning the lens although I suspect in general the white line will be randomised and you just have to find where yours works best.

Come on man!
Time doesn't change with direction nor whether you are inside or outside the car. :D

:D

have you adjusted the CPL correctly?
In hindsight probably not - I just left the white marker at 12 o'clock as I assumed that the optimum position would constantly keep moving depending on the direction of the sun. I'll set it up better thanks.

The SOS will protect the current file, the file leading up to the event and the file following the event.
When I looked at the file in Registrator the 90min file had a lock symbol beside it. So that does mean the entire 90min file is not protected just parts of it? i.e. 9 minutes consisting of 3 x 3mins within that file? thanks

When I looked at the file in Registrator the 90min file had a lock symbol beside it. So that does mean the entire 90min file is not protected just parts of it? i.e. 9 minutes consisting of 3 x 3mins within that file? thanks

Registrator Viewer by default groups files into relevant journeys, if you ungroup them you should find that only a few of your files within that group are the ones that are locked

In hindsight probably not - I just left the white marker at 12 o'clock as I assumed that the optimum position would constantly keep moving depending on the direction of the sun. I'll set it up better thanks.
It is the angle of the reflection that matters, the light is going from your dash reflecting off your glass and entering the camera, the position of the sun has no effect. The filter is correctly aligned when if when you point your camera at your TV/monitor it shows the TV as completely black when it is rotated to exactly 90 degrees from normal. A white card on the dash works well but is not as easy to see accurately as looking at a TV where all the light is polarised.

I think the white markers should be at the top but they are often not, I even found a Hoya CPL that was way off recently!

as Nigel say’s, this is what he told me to do and I tried it at home with the TV, then made a mark on the body of the DVR where the white point on the CPL made contact on the body, so I could repeat the settings if the CPL was removed or accidentally moved. On mine the white line from the CPL was at 8 o'clock as you look at the lens

also as Nigel mentions, a white piece of paper in the car is a good way to see if you’re anywhere near optimum not the best way but good enough

here’s a clip showing what Nigel told me to try with the TV and the CPL filter, I had a forum member make me up a micr USB to a RCA plug and you see on TV what the mini 0806 was capturing and most importantly. see at what point the CPL is polarising the light

Back