Field of view angle

Here's a crude example of the difference in field of view, an old Mobius, I think 130 degree, vs the A118c, at a claimed 170 degree.
(the first segment is the mobius, second an a118c)

Both cameras are mounted at about the same height on the truck windshield, but about ten inches apart.

For general accident documentation stuff, I prefer the video from the A118C. (Not for posting online) You see a bit more of what is happening to the sides.

I go to the mobius video with the hope of pulling out more detail of things that happened right in front of me. (License plate numbers, etc)

For most accident situations, whether you get the video that proves the other driver was on the cellphone or picking his nose as he ran the redlight before hitting you isn't important if it goes to court. Proving he ran the redlight is all that matters. :)
Dude, you need a louder horn... :D

Here's a crude example of the difference in field of view, an old Mobius, I think 130 degree, vs the A118c, at a claimed 170 degree.
(the first segment is the mobius, second an a118c)

Both cameras are mounted at about the same height on the truck windshield, but about ten inches apart.

For general accident documentation stuff, I prefer the video from the A118C. (Not for posting online) You see a bit more of what is happening to the sides.

I go to the mobius video with the hope of pulling out more detail of things that happened right in front of me. (License plate numbers, etc)

For most accident situations, whether you get the video that proves the other driver was on the cellphone or picking his nose as he ran the redlight before hitting you isn't important if it goes to court. Proving he ran the redlight is all that matters. :)

Thanks for the video.
My conclusion from it:
1) the angle is very similar for both cams, and I have seen other comparisons that the a118c 170degrees may suggest that the 170 figure is a stretch.

2) it is more than just the view. Better optics, better sensor and better processing - all make a better camera. Maybe the mobius 90degree lens is better, or maybe your copy of the mobius is less than ideal or a118c just exceptional .
(I actually ordered the a118c, so I can't wait for it, despite for its "overclaim" in the angle department.)

Cheers...

I've seen cameras where the viewing angle only applies to their lower resolution (e.g. 720p) and the angle narrows on higher resolution settings (e.g. 1080p).

Well, at least they won't keep you awake at night, honking.

Wider field of view puts exponentially greater demands on the lenses and sensor. Putting 120 degrees onto a 2.1MP sensor will show much more detail and a much more 'zoomed-in' image than putting 170 degrees onto the same sensor.

An old topic but by chance I happened to be making a camera comparison so here are some 1080x1920p/30fps views of the same moment in time, from a narrow-angle and a wide-angle dashcam:

------

Well, because somebody found the earlier pictures worthy of a 'like' I made some more:

If some one sold a good "DC" with a narrow lens i would buy it and put it beside my wide angle camera on the windscreen.
I often see intersting things going on in the car in front of me, but the wide angle lens dont let me immortalize it as its just "a blur"

My old 20X optical zoom front camera i could count the hairs on the head of the driver in the car in front of me at a intersection :D

What's that thing you have on the dashboard? I think it doesn't even has a 90º FoV.

What's that thing you have on the dashboard? I think it doesn't even has a 90º FoV.

Measuring the two images, the wider one is approximately 2.1x the width of the narrower one.
The width of fov and the angle are not linear - a small percentage increase in the angle results in a much larger percentage increase in the width of the field of view.
The 2.1x difference is consistent with approximately 120 degrees vs 150 degrees, or approximately 100 degrees vs 140 degrees (horizontal angle).
The 'thing' on the dashboard is a Cobra 840E.

That looks like a nice system to tinker with...except for the price. Everything made by Axis is priced as if it was gold plated.
I was looking for a couple of security cameras a few years back and was shocked at their prices. Somebody pointed me to Hikvision and I haven't looked back. :)

That looks like a nice system to tinker with...except for the price. Everything made by Axis is priced as if it was gold plated.
I was looking for a couple of security cameras a few years back and was shocked at their prices. Somebody pointed me to Hikvision and I haven't looked back. :)
Do they have a similar type of setup?

I wish i could afford axis gear for my home CCTV, but i cant even afford the Dahua stuff that would work better with my Dahua NVR

As for FOV on front and rear cameras in my car i would easy be able to make do with 90 degrees of FOV or there about, but i am sure many would not agree with me on this.

Side cameras should be wide FOV, but i am not sure the nifty little axis cameras support the generic M12 ( fine thread ) lenses.

Off course in my case i drive a regular mini car, so side cameras will have to be behind B pillar and close to glass and at a 90 degree angle from the glass.

I wish i could afford axis gear for my home CCTV, but i cant even afford the Dahua stuff that would work better with my Dahua NVR

As for FOV on front and rear cameras in my car i would easy be able to make do with 90 degrees of FOV or there about, but i am sure many would not agree with me on this.

Side cameras should be wide FOV, but i am not sure the nifty little axis cameras support the generic M12 ( fine thread ) lenses.

Off course in my case i drive a regular mini car, so side cameras will have to be behind B pillar and close to glass and at a 90 degree angle from the glass.
I'm looking at putting this camera pointing mor or less down onside my Thule crossbar.

92° in 1080p
https://www.axis.com/us/en/products/axis-f1025

Attachments

• IMG_4631.PNG
    IMG_4631.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Back