File length/size on G3?

David Walsh

Reaction score
Country
France
Could anyone explain why the video file size/length is (only) about 12 to 13 minutes?
If I set the recording to 1080P60W and have a fully charged battery and an empty128Mb card and just walk away leaving the camera running it appears to record in ~12 minute segments (i.e. each saved file is about 12-13 minutes long).
Is this normal for an 'action cam'?
I would like to record flights in a glider, from take-off to landing; typically 4 to 6 hours (yes I know it will be mega boring but with a backup power supply and a 128Mb card this should be possible?).
Any help much appreciated.

Yes, that is normal, it is due to the file size limit on the FAT32 file system.

If you want continuous recording then you should set the loop recording and then join the segments together in a video editor. Using loop recording means that there is zero gap between segments and it will just keep recording, and overwrite the oldest once the card is full, like a dashcam does - better than a GoPro which has no loop recording!

Thanks Nigel; yes of course FAT32, I should have remembered this.
Many thanks for the "Loop Recording" tip, it sounds the perfect solution.
Now I just need to figure out an auxiliary battery supply system; as you're clearly somewhat experienced (judging by the number of "messages") do you have a solution to keep the camera running for 6 hours? Perhaps I need a "dash-cam" wiring kit? Or could I use a big AmpHour 5V battery?
Again, many thanks, great forum.

Yes, a 20,000mAh USB powerbank should keep it running for well over 24 hours, I suggest a 10,000mAh minimum even though it is far more than required, they have better current capacity than smaller ones so wont turn off early in cold conditions etc.

Thanks everyone. It's not usually too cold in a glider as, generally, you're in a little greenhouse with plenty of sun. (This doesn't apply to flying in wave where at 18,000 feet the outside temperatures can be -30C).
i'll check out my power-bank capacity.
Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Git3 14
Back