Files Sizes and Hang ups

tcbezza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am chasing two problems on my B1m installed on a BMW bike. These may be related.
Firstly the unit seems to hang up in use after only a few minutes. I can see files being recorded and view them up to the last two files (front & back) which seem to be corrupted. I am wondering if this is a power suppply issue so today I ran the unit connected to an external power feed via the USB cable. I left it running for 4 hours and it seemed to be OK. When powered by the bike it rarely runs for more tha 10 minutes.
I also notice today that I get intermittent small files being saved, around 60 or 70 K instead of the normal 266 file size. These files are still viewable but it seems odd is this related?
Any ideas ?File sizes.JPG

One of the reasons is that it might be a problem in the micro-SD card, no matter how well that card works in other devices.

I will have to agree with "Leon" on this, no reason for a camera to cut files short, unless there is a problem unloading the data.
There was a guy not long ago, with a brand new brand memory card, some how if backed itself into a corner and just had 1:10 the read/write speeds it was supposed to have, the guy had to run the SD associations tool "SD formatter" on the full card 2 times to get it back up to full specs.
Though in all honesty i have also just seen that this one time, but it is not uncommon for memory cards to loose "breath" or even as i myself have experienced die untimely death,,,,, like so untimely you barely get to fill the memory card 1 time.

O and before i forget my manners. Welcome to the forum tcbezza.

There was a guy not long ago, with a brand new brand memory card, some how if backed itself into a corner and just had 1:10 the read/write speeds it was supposed to have, the guy had to run the SD associations tool "SD formatter" on the full card 2 times to get it back up to full specs.
Yeah, that was me. Here's the post where I summarized my experience:

As to having to do the low-level format twice to get things fixed I think that had to do with the fact that it was a 512GB card that took a really long time for format. As a result I ran it overnight on a Windows 10 machine and I suspect Windows did a reboot to apply an update thus messing with the reformat. Some time after I tested this theory by starting a low-level format with SDFormatter and in the middle rebooted the computer. Afterward the card was usable but the write speeds were again very slow and I had to do the low-level format again to get things back to normal.

Still doesn't explain why the write speeds were so slow initially but the card has been just fine since 'fixing' it.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions around the SD card.
Over two months I have tried 3 different SD cards but none of them seem to change the problem. As a last resort I will try a fresh card and reformat it before running it in the camera and see what that does.
If I can solve this maybe it will stop the camera from hanging up in use.

Been a bit quiet as I have been testing following the advice above. Sorry for the long post I have tried to keep it short.
I have used two different Sandisk cards another 32G and the other a new 128G card. All testing has been done with the unit powers via the USB connection. So far what I have seen is:-
32G sandisk Ultra card. Lowlevel formatted on windows PC and then again with SD card formatter (twice) Put the card in the device which starts up. Connected my Andriod phone, but this takes about three minutes to connect. Unable to format the card in the device as I receive a "format Failure" message. Removed card and formatted it in my Olfi action camera andreturned it to the device. Device started up OK and phone connectedin about 20 seconds. All seemed OK and unit ran for an hour no problems. As a test then formatted the card in the device which then refused to work correctly and the phone took 3 minutes to establish a connection ! Tested this whole loop twice with the same results and then again with another different 32G card, same result.

128G sandisk Ultra extreme card. Low level formated in PC and then again using the SD card formatter. Put the card in the device which starts OK and the phone connects in about 20 seconds. All function appear OK but I did not try reformating the card in the device. Left the devicing running for 3 hours and it appears to have recorded normally. Tomorrow I will try to reformat the card in the device and see if that has any effect.

One odd thing I have noticed over the last few days testing is that I can tell if the device will perform well with the a card by how long the phone takes to establish a connection! Not sure why that would be - Any ideas?
More to do but maybe some progress.

One odd thing I have noticed over the last few days testing is that I can tell if the device will perform well with the a card by how long the phone takes to establish a connection!
Your mobile phone will cut off WiFi connection automatically since the dash cam WiFi cannot access the internet!
You can test it again after you switch on airplane mode!

Back