Filtering in traffic while standing on foot pegs. Safe or Unsafe?

Blink Blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed this biker filtering in traffic while standing on his foot pegs (this seemed to give him a better view of the road ahead and he was more visible to other road users although to be honest I prefer my bum fully planted on my bike seat and won't even think of standing and riding).

This got me thinking and I was wondering what other road users and bikers think about this. Video below:

I've never driven a motorbike, but standing like he was did seem to be more effective than sitting.
Makes him a little smaller to fit in between those cars, I could see how it might give him some more visibility too.

Sitting, standing, still dangerous.
Usually I see people "filtering" off to the side of traffic, annoying but it's more of a 'I wish I could be passing all this backed up traffic like that' kind of annoying.
This just seems reckless, one person not paying attention or getting surprised at something passing them so suddenly could really ruin a bikers day.

...Makes him a little smaller to fit in between those cars, I could see how it might give him some more visibility too.
And being taller raises his center of gravity making him less stable and increasing the chances of losing his balance. I used to ride (got smart and don't any more) and know from first hand experience that lower is better from a stability point of view. IMO he was just being a jerk and showing off.

could really ruin a bikers day.

Indeed, and falling in a unlucky place even in that slow moving traffic, and your helmet and head could still be pancake.

Personally i think its taking unnecessary risks, so today i would never do that, 15 - 20 years ago i would have gone thru there at speed, that's how stupid i was.

Only way to fight gridlock frustrations, have some fun.

Today i cleaned the windows of my car while it slowly rolled back as i had not left it in gear or pulled the P brake, i dident mind the car was just heading for a grass field where they have conserts and no chance of getting stuck or dirty there, so i just let it roll

I often use the porkkeys Uuuuu boogi boogi to get myself going, and good thing i can laugh at myself just fine or thinking about what other people might think.

So next time you are in a grid lock jump out of the car and run around while you do the Uuuuu boogi booogi thing, that should lighten things up a little.

Porky's!
I've always heard that phrase growing up, oooogie boogie boogie.:ROFLMAO:
I wonder if that's how it became popular.

And what happens if he needs to brake or steer suddenly? He's Bjorked, that's what.

I can't think of anything he could see from higher up that makes it worth throwing away what little control of the situation he has.

He's a biker, not a meerkat!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think he is very safe. After all he has his 4 ways on. :unsure::eek: They really make a difference...not.

to answer the original question - i don't have nor want a motorcycle, but if i did, i'd never filter in moving traffic. only in traffic that's completely stopped. and even then i'd still be just idling through in case some moron decides to open his door.

my dad got stopped once in the 70s when he tried to filter (in a place where it wasn't legal) on his air-cooled bike that was starting to overheat from lack of moving air. once the cop saw the smoke coming off the bike, he let him go without a ticket.

Back