Filters for Git2. Yes or no, that's the question

jorgeser

Reaction score
Country
Spain
As new user of a Git2 I need learn a lot about it.

The best that you can do, it is test, and test, and test again to learn how works.

Today for example, I have tested some features added in the last firmware (v1.5 Beta) for Git2 (31/05/2016) and I have tested it without filters, and with two different filters of 52mm.

One of them it was a CPL filter, and the another one it was a ND2-ND400 filter.

After to test this, and in my opinion, my experience is that without filters the results are good, but with a filter, the videos have improved.

Of course, it depends about where you are living.
In Spain for example, the weather is very sunny.
Record without filters it is possible, but with the correct filters, you can see more details (clouds, ground, floor, objects, etc).

After tests, I have reviewed the settings that I have applied and I have to share that I haven't found big differences.

Note: The lens was dirty. I put my finger on it, but I didn't see this until after finish the video.

Video (with the ND2 filter):

However, I think that the best settings are (in this test):
- 1080P 60fps
- White Balance: Daylight
- Custom While Balance Set: 0 - 0
- EV: +0.0
- ISO: 100
- Color: Colorful
- Contrast: Normal
- Gyro: On
- Sharpness: Soft
- Metering: Spot
- FOV: Wide Angle
- Video Bitrate: High

To learn more:

What is your opinion about this?
Is necessary to use a filter?
What is your recommendation about the settings to use with sunny locations?

Thanks in advanced.

What' the reason to use ND in your video?
imho, the polarized filter would be better in this light conditions, especially for the sky.

What' the reason to use ND in your video?
imho, the polarized filter would be better in this light conditions, especially for the sky.

It is true, but I haven't noticed big differences.
I don't know if I am using a good settings or if I have to change them to other better,... or if the new firmware 1.5 Beta is ok or not.

For it, my other question.
The people that use a CPL filter or a ND2 filter, what setting use in a sunny day?

It seems like you are confused about what filters do, no offense, just google it. If you are just using them because you think "more is better", you are wrong. You need to know what you want to expose and then choose your options. Specially the metering system and the filters. In a high contrast scene like this, for instance, a low contrast profile would work better. Perhaps the right filter to darken the sky and a well locked exposure via spot metering would work well. Maybe a WDR ON also, you just have to play.

Remember you are losing 2 stops of lights with no much purpose here because of the filter.
The main problem i see is that you choose filters and options without knowing what they do. i would like to do a little manual to explain the git2 options.

Please stop using youtube to show videos. at least in the forum when you want to receive feedback about quality.

(I used uppercase and bold just for visual help.)

Saludos.

Hi omegamoto.

Thanks a lot for your help.

First all, this is a test.
Is not a final video. Indeed, is my first experience with Git2.

I used the filters to compare them with the normal use (without filters) in a sunny day.

I have a DSLR camera too and I know something about filters and about the 2 stops that I lost, but thanks for your tips.

However, if you know something of photography (and I think that you know about it), you have to know that appart the basic knowledges, the first time you use a camera, you have to practice with it always doing extreme things.

Know the limits of your camera let us to know what we have to do in each situation.
We should have general knowledges about lighting, shadows, exposition, iso, speed, aperture, etc.
But we have to know how is the camera under all different settings.

This situations, help us to understand the limits of your camera.

Here I wanted to compare the same scene using filters and no filters, and I haven't noticed big differences.
This is strange for me, because it should be very different as you said, but I haven't seen big differences.

Is for it, that my question is about the settings.
I don't know if with this camera I have to configure the settings in a special manner or if the firmware Beta is bad.

Of course, I can have mistakes configurating the settings.

In my case, I want to use the filters to get a higher contrast in the scene (of course), and to get this, I think that your comments are correct.
But I need to do more tests to understand the camera very well.

I think that you are right when you said that I have to use a low contrast profile.
I am not sure about the spot metering, but I should to try it too.
About WDR, I set this to OFF, and it's a good idea to test it changing it to ON to compare too.

When I question about the settings, is because a correct combination of these settings could have better results that others (filters apart).

I will try to change some settings and do more tests.

Apart your help that I appreciate, I don't understand this other:
"Please stop using youtube to show videos. at least in the forum when you want to receive feedback about quality."
Where are the rules to know when I have to publish videos?
I'm sorry but I think this was not appropriate.

Saludos.

With ND filter you need to lock the ISO. Then camera will do the longer exposure with motion blur.
With CPL need to try with different exposure metering options to find which is the best for recent light conditions.

Back