Finally Installed my Mini 0807. Fixed focus and upgraded F/W

quaters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0807, G1W-CB
A little Review of the Mini 0807 (1080p Ver).

The camera was bought off eBay in June 2016 from estore009 for $109.99 (I know, I procrastinated on the install).

When the camera was first tested the focus was wrong out of the box. I wrote skyhigh and was told the factory had set the first batch at 1.5m (which is way too close). You can see from the picture my dash is perfectly clear, but the truck in front is blurry. I followed the instructions an other member posted for fixing the focus and it worked. In the second picture you can see the truck is much clearer.

Pre Focus Fix:
807_Pre-Focus-Fix.jpg

Post Focus Fix:
807_Post-Focus-Fix-2.jpg

I also upgraded the firmware when it was posted to the skyhigh website. I am currently running:

DVR: 0160711_A7_807_2CARD_GPS
GPS: 20160520_GPS
MCU: 20160413_MCU

For storage, I'm using a SINGLE Lexar 64GB microSDXC UHS-I 633x High-Performance. I don't trust the dual recording logic and if I want to review footage I don't want to worry about which card to pull. Currently set to 1-min video length.

Connecting power through the OBDII port (very hesitantly). Lots of feedback from other members on not connecting this way, but I wanted the parking mode and my vehicle allowed for a very clean install to the port, so I'm giving it a shot.

GPS and speed seem very accurate as captured in this screen shot:Dash_Cam_Speed_Accuracy.jpg

The main criteria for purchasing this camera were (in order of importance):
  • ~$100 Budget
  • Stealth & Clean Install
  • Capacitor over Battery
  • GPS w/speed
  • Parking Mode
Installation Location:

IMG_20170507_095244.jpg

IMG_20170507_095151.jpg

Completely Hidden:

IMG_20170507_095221.jpg

OBDII Port:

IMG_20170507_095314.jpg

Conclusion:

I've been running the camera for about a month. Haven't had any issues with recording and parking mode. The video is surprisingly good quality. Easily able to pause it and pick up plates and faces. If I get a year or more out of it I will be happy with the $100 investment.

Happy to answer any questions.

I followed the instructions an other member posted for fixing the focus and it worked.

You wrote.

What exact settings did you make. Can you write?

You wrote.

What exact settings did you make. Can you write?
It was not a "settings" change. You have to take the camera apart and manually turn the lens to adjust the focus. I used an mini HDMI cable and hooked it to my computer monitor to see how the focus changed.

Thank you for the answer. I think I will do it as soon as possible.

Review Update:

Camera is still going strong after one year. Have not updated the Firmware from the original post. Vehicle has gone on 12 hour road trips and has sat for a week without being started (w/ no battery drain). The original Lexar memory card is still going strong and haven't had one issue yet when checking recordings.

Vehicle is not garaged and sat through 100F direct sun summer and below 32F winter. Everything still looks good and at this point I feel I've gotten my money out of this camera.

It's a shame they made different hardware versions of this camera, the model I got has been bullet proof so far.

Extremely pleased, thanks.

Too bad with the soft focus, but nice you was able to DIY fix it.
A dashcam dont have to break the bank, but if you go for a less expensive one it is a good idea to have a little tinkering skill, even if its not always needed.

Yes, lots of tinkering involved. But I bought the camera when it was first released and knew what I was getting into.

But for the price if you have the ability to tinker it has been worth it for me.

With how fast technology has changed in the last year, I'm now looking for my next project camera.

Back