Finally jumping into security cameras

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So dash cams were a gateway drug apparently and reviewing dozens of similar dash cams started to wear on me. I was going to build a small PC and get blue iris but with the recommended specs and purchasing several cameras I realized it's cheaper to buy a dedicated security camera system (even if I pirated Windows).

So I bought this for $800:

I was trying to find a wired door "peephole" camera with coaxial output. I found some with regular composite output on Amazon but they were pretty big.

Has anyone seen any smaller standard sized cams, possibly with coax output?

Also I tried the dbpower cam with this DVR and it worked ok but the motion sensing recording did not work properly. I hope to try the amcrest IP cams soon with it. The 8 cams that come with are all HDCVI.

Sweet :cool:

I have been looking for a true peephole cam too ( IP ) but all i find is analog cameras, so what i have done is buy a small bord camera unit and fitted it with a 30 mm pinhole lens.
That works wonders as my peephole on the inside is just a tube, and it then have a lens or glass on the putside end, so wrapped with a little tape my lens fit nice into the peephole and as its a 30 mm lens i dont get any of the edge in the frame so i have a nice square feed of that camera.
Will see if i can get you a pic of it a little later, i an about to change the HDD in the NVR as the old one died on me.

If your peephole is of a simmilar design you might be able to do the same if you can find a small box or bord CVI camera.

My setup do look a bit messy with a bord jammed in the peephole and a wire dangeling on the inside of the door, but i could frame the door with 1" and then put a new false side on the door hiding it all ( just a cheapo painted door i have )

Allright buddy, got you some pics of my setup on the door.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

I think you sould be able to use a sucker like this, with a different lens offcourse, all depending on your peephole design and / or if you can change the peephole to somthing you can use, i think most peepholes are abel to just screw out of the door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321729682439

Allright buddy, got you some pics of my setup on the door.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

I think you sould be able to use a sucker like this, with a different lens offcourse, all depending on your peephole design and / or if you can change the peephole to somthing you can use, i think most peepholes are abel to just screw out of the door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321729682439
Very creative, good job

It is not optimal due to the low quality glass / lens in the peephole, but when ppl pass in front of the door or just stand there i get a good enuff face shot to be able to pick the person out in a crowd anytime :)

Allso i use a IR pass lens so colors os some what off, but its okay in my book.

Love to put a wifi cam in my mail box down by the front door, but there is no power source i can tap into down there, at least not without ppl getting suspicious.

I was hoping you'd see this kamkar since we talked about home cameras before.

My main limitation is I do rent and can't do any permanent changes to the door. I need to be able to replace the old peephole when I eventually move out.

Interesting solution you have tho. I was looking at just an analog camera and using a composite to coaxial converter. Ideally I'd like to have it wired to my DVR so I can record when packages are left in front of my door. Usually the office holds onto packages but sometimes they just leave it infront of the door.

Also been trying to find some wireless solutions, possibly for my mobius.

i can see you can get cameras hidden as a PIR sensor, one of those would not look lot of the place beside a door, and ppl will just think its broken when it dont turn on light.

If you can unscrew your peephole it will not damage the door, i have not unscrewed mine but it look like 1 smaller tube that screw into a little larger tube.
Its worth a look, as you can see on my last picture there is a notch on my peephole ( well 2 of them but you cant see the other one for the camera )
I can allso see on the doors on the other floors that not all peepholes are the same in our doors.

Perhaps have a look in the local DIY stores, maybe they can even guide you or at least demo some peepholes they might have.

I feel there is a good chance you should be able to replace if needed, and then just put back when you move. I even think ther might be some form of standart for peepholes in the doormaking industry.

There might be some form of trimmings on your peephole hiding notches needed to unscrew them. i figure they just click on or maybe is screwed on.
On the outside my peephole look like most so no notches there but on the inside mine is a pretty raw and proberly cheap model as you can see.

I am actually waiting on an exchange of the DVR. I mentioned that it was louder than I liked. Turns out it isn't suppose to be loud like that. I emailed amcrest out of curiosity what the normal operating decibels are (i recorded min at about 61-64db with an app while it was running in a closet (no outside noise).

Back