FINALLY: My install in a mazda CX-9, side view cams

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
after not having the car for ages, finally got it and have time to start installing it.

PART 1 of the install, the left hand camera

Here is the outside of the vehicle.
IMG_5923.JPG

here is the inside of the rear door, full of the kids crap

IMG_5921.JPG

this is where i am going to run the camera cable

IMG_5924.JPG

here is the inside of the door with the trim removed

IMG_5925.JPG

this is the hole i drilled in the rear door for the cable.

IMG_5926.JPG

this is the rubber cable conduit i kindly got from Jokiin luckily, wasn't easy to source. i had to drill holes in the door and the b pillar as the OEM rubber conduit you see there is a plug style and it is all filled up and nowhere to drill a hole through it so had to put a second one in, didn't like doing it but had to do it, only way to get an extra cable into the door.

IMG_5927.JPGIMG_5928.JPG

i had to pull the speaker out of the door to gain access to the inside of the door. i ran the camera cable through the rubber conduit from the door side first then through the B pillar. the camera end of the cable i routed up through the factory hole in the door and out so i could put it into the door trim.

IMG_5929.JPG

this model CX-9 has a pull up blind on the back door windows, not sure if all do but this one is top of the range model. so i had to remove the blind from the inside of the door trim and drill a hole in the end of it and elongate the hole so the USB end would fit through it.

IMG_5930.JPG

i put the blind back onto the door trim, left plenty slack in the camera cable for manoeuvring the door trim and put the door trim back on and let a bit of cable hanging out to attach the camera to.
i pulled up the blind and it fits perfectly the camera in that location. will affix camera in part 2.

IMG_5931.JPG

Agreed, I do this, angle the cameras slightly towards the front to compensate for them being towards the rear, although I think it's a bit late now! Nice DIY setup though (y)
Many 4 channel setups make use of the rear side windows (if you have them)

My plan installing side cameras also was to wedge the cameras a little so they was aimed forward a little, but i have dropped this and if anything i would put on wider FOV lenses instead,
My fixed glass are still on the door so a little more forward than the fixed glass behind the C pillar of the Mazda.

ive tried various positions already and the rear door where i have it was the best for coverage for my case.

yes i remember now, when i was testing, in the back fixed window i could not get enough view of the front of the vehicle as being a hatch back the back window is right at the back, even with it on an angle i couldn't get view of front as the pillar came into it so the back door window provided me with enough view of the front as well as the rear. mainly for parking lots with people opening doors into you.

finished it finally, well 99%. got cameras in, all wiring, just not gps unit yet, got it working ok so far and need to mount the controller.
IMG_6041.JPG
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG
IMG_6045.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6040.JPG
    IMG_6040.JPG
    988.1 KB · Views: 8
With the main unit installed there,,,, and as i see it, you should probably not have too high expectations for the G - sensor to be able to pick up smaller events, even with parking G sensor set to high.
I think for the G sensor to work best we need to attach to something as rigid as possible, the way i have my unit installed i could kick my wheels and rock the little car as much as my 120 kg allow, and nothing, but a gentle tap on the main unit and the G sensor went off right away.

yes i remember now, when i was testing, in the back fixed window i could not get enough view of the front of the vehicle as being a hatch back the back window is right at the back, even with it on an angle i couldn't get view of front as the pillar came into it so the back door window provided me with enough view of the front as well as the rear. mainly for parking lots with people opening doors into you.
Does your side camera location prevent you from opening the rear door windows?

Does your side camera location prevent you from opening the rear door windows?
not at all, doesnt even impede the operation of the pull up blind. i will see if i can remember to post video tomorrow of it.

With the main unit installed there,,,, and as i see it, you should probably not have too high expectations for the G - sensor to be able to pick up smaller events, even with parking G sensor set to high.
I think for the G sensor to work best we need to attach to something as rigid as possible, the way i have my unit installed i could kick my wheels and rock the little car as much as my 120 kg allow, and nothing, but a gentle tap on the main unit and the G sensor went off right away.
see what happens. only place i can think of in that vehicle and remain fairly easy to get to.

here is the recording from the camera, still need to fine tune it and put on gps to get speed and date correct.
you can see how it can be effective if you get someone running into you at an intersection from either side to see where they came from etc..
Left side
Right side

Once you've had side cams you can never go back ;) I think they're even more important than a rear cam.

A clean install and looking good (y)

Phil

TBH i dont think i have that feeling about the side cameras, though i had some for some years now.
But i have never tried to forget the memory card for those cameras, which on the windscreen are what trigger me, but i dont go to the side cameras that often so similar rare i have the chance to forget the memory card at the computer.
Or as i have also dona a few times forget i have a spare memory card in the car.

I am not going to be without those unless i have a spell of really bad luck, but if i was going to buy a set of side cameras i am not so sure i would do if i got to that point, but as long as i can put test systems there ( maybe after initial testing on F&R windows ) then for sure i will also have cameras on the side.

Also in my car which have fixed glass on the sides, it is fairly easy to do a quick install, but a proper install going thru doors and rubber wire channels do take a bit longer, but thats the case with any proper piece of craftsmanship.

That girl in the grey car ?????? Good or bad hair day,,,,,, no man will know. :)

heres the final resting place for the head unit. under the drivers seat theres a metal plate it sits nice and firmly on. the wires run nicely along under the console to where they are needed to goto nice and hidden.

Attachments

• IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 14
Are you sure no one will kick it there ? for me it is not really a problem as i dont have people on the back seat very often, like less than once every year.
If you have, you could fasion some kick panel / guard and fix it in place with one of the screws in the metal plate.

Back