Finally! New Dashcam Owner - Install Question

Phil Gamboa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally got my long awaited SG9665GC! I was looking over the cable tray cover. With this cover installed, is it still possible to remove the camera? It seems that the cover butts up to the camera and the way you need to slide the camera off the mount, it would got the cover base.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the GC club. Optional Cable Cover tray is generally installed for a set-it and forget it Permanent installation. Top of the Cable Cover needs to be removed to slide the camera up and off.

I personally glued the camera support a fraction of an inch/cm further than the cover. That way the cam can still slide a little upwise and unlock from the holder.
Being behind the rear-view mirror, you can't really see the gap.
I had no choice, since when travelling I remove the card everyday, and I need to use the cable cover because the cam must be quite low on the glass as I don't want the huge center block appearing in all the left side of the movie.
I drive on the left side so the cam is on the right side of the RVM and the card is not accessible without removing the cam.

Thanks everyone! I plan to set it and forget but in the event I need to remove it, I didn't want to be stuck in a situation where I couldn't because of the cover. Will be taking a look at placement today.

I also see two different bases for the camera, seems like different wedge angles. This just a personal preference?

I sell Plug and Play harnesses on the GM-Trucks website. I say this because I pride myself in offering a great product, but more importantly, the best support possible with quick response.

You guys are on the top of my list for a company that is doing the same!

Thank you very much for the quick response!

...Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!...
I didn't even bother with the cable cover. In my vehicle the camera is mounted on the sensor housing behind the RVM, in my wife's using the cover meant the camera had to be considerably lower on the windshield.

Thanks everyone! I opted to install the camera with the cable tray to the left of the RVM... Now I know why it is recommended to install it to the right of the RVM... installing it to the left, I cannot adjust the mirror to the optimal position as the rear part of the mirror hits the cable tray.

I am hardwired now and will relocate tomorrow.

I'll have a how-to video shortly :)

a69c233ee7f1b9b26d99b098d503ecac.jpg

if you need any more 3M stickers or whatever just let us know
You guys are awesome! I'll use the extra set that came in the box. Tapping into Accessory Voltage worked out great!

You guys have a How-To section to post my video once I'm done with it?

Looking to get a 128gb card. What is recommended? I see that the included 32gb is a Samsung EVO Select. Is the 128gb equivalent to this what is recommended? I see that it's an SDHC as opposed to the newer/faster SDXC cards. So many Samsung cards out there.

abfd2b03ae509ad78d89606e5b4bdb77.jpg

Only 64GB and higher cards are SDXC. Samsung doesn’t offer 32GB EVO Select (green) SDHC in U3 only U1.

Compare choices here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP
All the North America 64/128 Street Guardian bundles will come with SDXC U3

Last edited:
I see that it's an SDHC as opposed to the newer/faster SDXC cards.

it's not related to speed or when they were manufactured, SD is for cards up to 2GB in size, SDHC just stands for SD High Capacity which was the terminology used when cards first made the jump in sizes up to 32GB, and SDXC stands for SD Extended Capacity for any size larger than 32GB

the other marking such as Class or U rating are about speed

it's not related to speed or when they were manufactured, SD is for cards up to 2GB in size, SDHC just stands for SD High Capacity which was the terminology used when cards first made the jump in sizes up to 32GB, and SDXC stands for SD Extended Capacity for any size larger than 32GB

the other marking such as Class or U rating are about speed

Yep - That's what I meant. If the class/speed mattered between the different Samsung cards out there. I went ahead and ordered the Samsung card as suggested.

Thanks! Now to find some time to relocate the camera to the other side of the RVM. Unfortunately, it's all zip tied and secured. So to move it over, would be like a whole new install [emoji23]. Will have the video done shortly.

Back