Finding My Perfect Dash Cam

Cortexian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, I've currently got a Blackvue DR900S-2CH setup. It's a pretty good system and has already proved I wasn't at fault for a collision that ended up costing close to $14,000 in repairs on my vehicle. Luckily, the dash camera footage and my insurance company covered everything.

I'm looking for a few more specific features though, and I don't think any system currently does this. So I'm asking the community to see if there are any options that fit all my needs!

Feature Requests
  • 4K front and rear cameras (although, 4K front and rear with 1080p wide angle side cameras would be even better!)
  • GPS + LTE as an option, but without a subscription REQUIREMENT.
  • Reliable Android app
  • Reliable and fully featured desktop PC app
  • Ability to backup video from camera to storage server at home over WiFi connection when vehicle is parked at home
Anything like that exist? The big one for me is the backup of footage over WiFi. I'd rather just offload everything to my 100+ TB file server that's setup with several layers of redundancy, rather than rely on a single microSD card for data integrity. There was a piece of software that apparently did this for the Blackvue cameras, but BV disabled the HTTP server on the DR900S for "security reasons" in a more recent firmware update (and rolling back doesn't fix it). So unfortunately it seems like there's no way around this for me anymore.

Thanks!

You are not supposed to save all your driving, but of course if that is a way you make a living and so could be attempted to be held liable for something down the road it would be a good idea.
But the number of people that save all their data are few.
I pick snippers out for sharing on youtube, and so in a month i might have 10 - 12 three minute files, but after editing those files are cut down to just the minute or so of action.
But that is of course just "la di da" footage and sharing of it, if i had a event i would probably save the whole drive session leading up to the event, though i do doubt it is needed.

I dont think there are many with that wifi functionality you ask for, the ones that are that kind of smart are most often for a cloud service you then have to pay more for to rent, the rather simple saving of the files to your own NAS or other means of storage i dont think this are much on the mind of makers, even if it is clearly a feature many are interested in.
I have no interest in it personally, but i do want dashcams to save onto another means of storage, and some form of intelligent backup function, so when i stab it with a thumb drive the few files i do want would get transferred, i do not want all my data as 90% of it is just garbage in my eyes.

Back