FineVu sucks!

spaceballsrules

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
AGPtek GD26 > F70/i1000 > FineVu CR2000G > Mini 0906
I started having trouble with my dashcam recently. Every so often, the rear camera would not be detected or the power would not come on when I started the ignition. Even the micro USB to connect to my PC was failing. After checking the SD card and finding that it was not corrupted and working as it should, I realized that the connectors may not be making good contact. Since the dashcam sits in a car that sits outside 24/7, and temperature and humidity fluctuate constantly, I figured the connectors had started to corrode a little. After cleaning out all the connectors with forced air, a plastic toothpick, and even a small strip of sandpaper, everything seems to be working again as it should.

If anything starts to act up again, I will take it to the next level and use contact cleaner. Fingers crossed that it does not come to that, though.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick reminder to maintain your cam in case you might be having problems, or just want to avoid problems in the first place.

Sandpaper may not be a good approach to cleaning electrical contacts :eek: Plated connections will be destroyed in time doing this as that plating is very thin, and that will lead to needing to clean the connections incessantly once the plating is gone :( Plain uncoated cardboard will burnish away most surface contaminants well while not scratching it's way through the plating. Sprayed contact cleaner can go into places it shouldn't, so spray the cleaner on your cardboard tool instead of the contact. If you must sand, then use the finest grit you can get-even #1200 is pretty coarse for something like this. If you can find one, the best tool for this is an old plastic "Points burnisher" which was used to polish the contact-breaker surfaces in old distributor-ignition cars. I can't remember when or where I got mine 30 years ago but it's one of those things worth more than it's weight in gold when you need it :cool:

Phil

The occasional lint free cotton or clean rubber used to erase pencil

Erasers work very well too if you can get to the contacts with it- not the case with USB connectors :( Another gentle contact cleaner is a piece of pantyhose- the tightly-woven nylon wont leave any strands behind like most cloth can, but it will melt in contact cleaner solvents and make the connection worse so use it dry only. As handy as small connectors are, they can be a real pain to clean or repair :mad:

Phil

I started having trouble with my dashcam recently. Every so often, the rear camera would not be detected or the power would not come on when I started the ignition. Even the micro USB to connect to my PC was failing. After checking the SD card and finding that it was not corrupted and working as it should, I realized that the connectors may not be making good contact. Since the dashcam sits in a car that sits outside 24/7, and temperature and humidity fluctuate constantly, I figured the connectors had started to corrode a little. After cleaning out all the connectors with forced air, a plastic toothpick, and even a small strip of sandpaper, everything seems to be working again as it should.

If anything starts to act up again, I will take it to the next level and use contact cleaner. Fingers crossed that it does not come to that, though.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick reminder to maintain your cam in case you might be having problems, or just want to avoid problems in the first place.
I had similar problems in the past with a Möbius. I found a small amount of dust in the female connector. I now clean all of those connectors carefully, thanks for the reminder. Credit goes to @Dashmellow a couple of years ago for the tip about the connectors.

I had similar problems in the past with a Möbius. I found a small amount of dust in the female connector. I now clean all of those connectors carefully, thanks for the reminder. Credit goes to @Dashmellow a couple of years ago for the tip about the connectors.

I remember that and I seem to also recall around that same time someone had a whole wad of lint at the bottom of a USB connector too, or maybe that was you. I've run into that same problem with the Mobius I carry around in my pocket, which of course, came as no surprise.

While we're on this subject, if anyone is looking for an excellent contact clearer, check out the DeoxIT products from Caig Labs. It's the only brand I use nowadays. The "D" series is perfect of dash cam connectors, especially the DN5S-6N spray with the new "Perfect Straw" and "FLEX-TIP attachment. It will flush out and clean a connector and then evaporate leaving behind a small amount of DeoxIT liquid.

Last edited:
I remember that and I seem to also recall around that same time someone had a whole wad of lint at the bottom of a USB connector too, or maybe that was you. I've run into that same problem with the Mobius I carry around in my pocket, which of course, came as no surprise.
That someone was indeed me. I fell victim to a bad habit which I have corrected, and that was constantly plugging and unplugging my Mobius which I had installed in the rear of my vehicle. Common sense has now prevailed and I leave it plugged in and take the card out when needed. Never too old to learn I always say :(

Sandpaper may not be a good approach to cleaning electrical contacts :eek: Plated connections will be destroyed in time doing this as that plating is very thin, and that will lead to needing to clean the connections incessantly once the plating is gone :( Plain uncoated cardboard will burnish away most surface contaminants well while not scratching it's way through the plating. Sprayed contact cleaner can go into places it shouldn't, so spray the cleaner on your cardboard tool instead of the contact. If you must sand, then use the finest grit you can get-even #1200 is pretty coarse for something like this. If you can find one, the best tool for this is an old plastic "Points burnisher" which was used to polish the contact-breaker surfaces in old distributor-ignition cars. I can't remember when or where I got mine 30 years ago but it's one of those things worth more than it's weight in gold when you need it :cool:

Phil

Yeah, I knew that the sandpaper wasn't the best approach. I proceeded carefully making sure that no stray burrs made their way past the connector, but I did not even think about the plating. I did use some 2000 grit that I had left over from lapping a CPU years ago. From now on, I will be sure to use cardboard instead. Thanks.

While we're on this subject, if anyone is looking for an excellent contact clearer, check out the DeoxIT products from Caig Labs. It's the only brand I use nowadays.
Yep been using it for years, way back when it was called "Cramolin", a main staple on a technician's bench. A little bit does the job. I'll put some on a Q-tip then spread that around on contact surfaces. Is a good thing to use on battery contacts in remote controls, audio connections, all sorts of things that make electrical contact.

Last edited:
Yep been using it for years, way back when it was called "Cramolin", a main staple on a technician's bench. A little bit does the job. I'll put some on a Q-tip then spread that around on contact surfaces. Is a good thing to use on battery contacts in remote controls, audio connections, all sorts of things that make electrical contact.

I remember Cramolin too! DeoxitIT I've been using for about seven years. I've only recently started using the spray products because it's great for getting into places where a Q-tip can't reach, like USB plugs, mini-B ports on dash cams and BNC connectors. The stuff is expensive but you're tight that a little bit does the job, so an investment in a bottle, tube or can lasts a very long time.

Addendum to my original post: Turns out the FineVu CR2000G is just a piece of junk. The same connection issues with the power and rear camera continue to persist. Connections are clean and fully in place. The SD card is the FineVu branded Toshiba Exceria that shipped with the camera and has been tested and confirmed to be working properly.

It really burns my britches that a "premium" product that cost over $400 is failing after only 2 years of use. To add insult to injury, FineVu is nowhere to be found to offer post-sales support. I guess they got their $money$ and that is all they care about.

I believe FineVu has pulled out of the N.American market :( And I don't think they ever had a presence here on DCT either :eek:
The tiny USB sockets in cams aren't always mounted and soldered well. If you or a friend can re-heat the solder joints with some new flux that might get you going again. It's not an unknown thing, just not common.

Phil

Yeah not uncommon, that's why some people cook ( refloat ) their "motherbord" from that playstation or x box in the oven, and that some times get things connected again.
I can only assume things get so hot that things disconnect.
I have never seen such a thing with the computers i have build, the only hardware that really failed me are RAM modules where i had one die on me a few times.

Off course things can also disconnect due to mechanical reasons, but underlying that you will often see a bad soldering so that connection are not as mechanically strong as it could have been.

life was easier before ROHS came into play

AMEN! It's hard to get a lead-free solder joint right, even with computerized automation. And unlike lead solder it's hard to see the difference between a cold joint and one done right. And even when done right, lead-free solders tend to develop 'tin whiskers' adding to the misery. Lead solder is far superior and is still available, just illegal to use on consumer applications :whistle:

Phil

I believe FineVu has pulled out of the N.American market :( And I don't think they ever had a presence here on DCT either :eek:
The tiny USB sockets in cams aren't always mounted and soldered well. If you or a friend can re-heat the solder joints with some new flux that might get you going again. It's not an unknown thing, just not common.

Phil

Yeah, FineVu is gone, along with quite a few other Korean companies. They barely had a presence when it came to dealing with their vendors here, let alone the actual customers.

When I get my replacement dashcam installed when it arrives next week, I will crack open the FineVu and have a look inside.

Back