Firmware 3.70

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.70:
- Added the Promptly Delete camera setting for unsaved videos. When this setting is enabled, the device records and stores only short videos and clears unsaved video footage automatically.
- Improved software stability.

I have to say, I have no idea what the first item means :confused:

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.70:
- Added the Promptly Delete camera setting for unsaved videos. When this setting is enabled, the device records and stores only short videos and clears unsaved video footage automatically.
- Improved software stability.

I have to say, I have no idea what the first item means :confused:

sounds like something German customers might like

So I chatted with Garmin support and here is what they say:
"When this setting is enabled, the device records and stores only short videos and clears unsaved video footage automatically." Meaning that the device will clear the unsaved data after every use of the camera and only keep saved events.

Wow, if true, this is a really good way to ensure that a lot of people will loose all recordings as soon as they shut off the engine.
A good candidate for the most useless feature :)

So I chatted with Garmin support and here is what they say:
"When this setting is enabled, the device records and stores only short videos and clears unsaved video footage automatically." Meaning that the device will clear the unsaved data after every use of the camera and only keep saved events.

Wow, if true, this is a really good way to ensure that a lot of people will loose all recordings as soon as they shut off the engine.
A good candidate for the most useless feature :)
That would be popular for the German market where they only want to save events and nothing else

Its an EU thing, not only German. This option makes the Dashcam compatible with EU GDPR regulation. In short: its forbidden to permanently record the public without any cause.

Austin PD just asked for help identifying a vehicle involved in a crime, and they sent video from a business to the TV stations. Under those bizarre European laws, it would be illegal for a business to have recording that includes the public street. Public is public and there should be absolute rights to record. Surveillance by private parties solves real crimes in the real world.

It's been this way in much of Europe for a long time. I know that in Germany dashcam videos are not admissible as evidence.

It's been this way in much of Europe for a long time. I know that in Germany dashcam videos are not admissible as evidence.

How is video not evidence? Seems like the legal system is concerned not with truth but with preserving some kind of weird freedom to commit crimes. That's really strange considering the country doesn't even have freedom of speech.

BTW I flashed my 45 with 3.7 and image quality is much better. More plates are readable

The new unsaved videos menu has two options, promptly delete and delete when full. You must select one option, what would you select as each one will delete your footage at some stage instead of overwriting it.

So does that mean all footage could be deleted during travel if your card fills up.

So does that mean all footage could be deleted during travel if your card fills up.

it should mean that the files will only start getting deleted (aka recycling) once full, you never know when it's a Chinglish translation so best to check it yourself to be sure

Delete when full is the classic behavior when the oldest videos are deleted as the card becomes full. This is how all dashcams work. Action cameras sometimes call it "looped recording"

Yes delete when full is the standard behavior, where it deletes the oldest file to make room for new video

But as noted elsewhere, only "unsaved videos" (driving) are deleted when full. Parking videos stick around until you delete them manually.

I may have missed something here, but surely if they can not keep recorded videos of innocent people,
that makes the parking mode which saves videos of innocent people walking past the vehicle illegal
Am I right or not ?
Bill

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacibaci Dash Cam 55 0
lacibaci Dash Cam 55 1
lacibaci Dash Cam 55 2
lacibaci Dash Cam 55 11
truetaurus Dash Cam 55 22
Back