Firmware for G90 Ambarella A7LA70 with GPS

Found a nice bug in firmware G90-ZX-A770-654-SH (aka v654)!
It appears to have a automatic "Need for Speed" aka "Warp Drive" setting :D
I had my cruse control set at 30 mp/h or 48.28 km/h on a straight road with full GPS signal... and my G90 says my speed is between 169.2 km/h & 190.8 km/h o_O
It makes you wonder if they actually field test their firmware before they are released :confused:
P.S. I listened carefully to the audio from my G90 and it does record a slight rattling/crackling sound, but nothing compared to distortion some of you guys are getting.
I'd say it's more that the microphone gain is to high than a faulty mic.

vlcsnap-2014-11-02-18h42m14s55.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-11-02-18h30m32s171.jpg

Last edited:
Found a nice bug in firmware G90-ZX-A770-654-SH (aka v654)!
It appears to have a automatic "Need for Speed" aka "Warp Drive" setting :D
I had my cruse control set at 30 mp/h or 48.28 km/h on a straight road with full GPS signal... and my G90 says my speed is between 169.2 km/h & 190.8 km/h o_O
It makes you wonder if they actually field test their firmware before they are released :confused:
P.S. I listened carefully to the audio from my G90 and it does record a slight rattling/crackling sound, but nothing compared to distortion some of you guys are getting.
I'd say it's more that the microphone gain is to high than a faulty mic.
View attachment 9015

View attachment 9016

I can confirm the speed bug in FW 654. It´s nice they cared to fix the speed overlay bug, but by fixing it, they added another one. I don´t get it. It´s clear they test it on their customers.

Good news is - my sound has improved with the new FW. One can hear the conversation in the car. There is still some hissing, squealing and crackling in the background, but at least now the sound is serviceable. I tested the camera without the car electric connection - I used a separate USB charger. But the sound was the same so the camera itself is making all the unwanted noises. I guess I will have to come to terms with it.

Yep nixtreme... once bug fixed and another created... just like M$ :D
I'm going back and staying with firmware trunk: r439M as it's 100% stable.
Why would you need time-lapse on a dashcam anyway, I can think of many other features that I'd consider more important.
I'll upgrade when a firmware offering some real enhancements gets released.
With the audio problems, it may also be affected by background noise in the car.
I have a rattly SEAT Alhambra so the audio my camera records is noisy anyway :)

Yep nixtreme... once bug fixed and another created... just like M$ :D
I'm going back and staying with firmware trunk: r439M as it's 100% stable.
Why would you need time-lapse on a dashcam anyway, I can think of many other features that I'd consider more important.
I'll upgrade when a firmware offering some real enhancements gets released.
With the audio problems, it may also be affected by background noise in the car.
I have a rattly SEAT Alhambra so the audio my camera records is noisy anyway :)

Seems like the best option so far. I will try r439M once more for the last time. If the sound is so bad again, I will have to go with newer firmwares and not use GPS.
Otherwise in case of an incident my insurance company will charge me for speeding 190 km/h in a city. ;)

Last edited:
In a proper court case it would be pretty obvious you're not travelling that speed and if there was any doubt an expert witness could take two points, measure the distance between them and the time it took you between frames and then work out your actual speed that way.

It's usually why speed cameras have matching timing marks on the road so that it can be proved that way - or at least they have the marks in the UK.

For me its just I just don't want the speed recorded on the video (but I do want the GPS logged) :)
It would be interesting to know if you can use your footage and GPS log to defend yourself in a court of law?
I travel frequently drive to Slovakia so knowing this could be useful.

I was fined for speeding in Slovakia which a complete load of crap as I had GPS evidence:
1) I wasn't speeding as I had a GPS speedo and logger on my dash and could prove it, but they said I was speeding and didn't have to back their claim up with any proof :eek:
They took my drivers license and passport and said if the fine wasn't paid within 7 days my car would be destroyed and my license and passport withheld :confused:
Luckily we were able to pay the fine on the spot and the police issued a very unofficial receipt for the money.
I hope my fine paid for enough beer and Slivovica at the Christmas party :D
2) There was no speed trap where they said it was.
A friend in another car immediately when back and checked and the guy at the fuel station said there hadn't been a speed trap based there for months!
3) Sorry to say nixterme, but they were obviously targeting Czech cars only (obviously having a day of targeting Polish and Hungarian cars) and I was among a convoy of Czech cars so got pulled over too :confused:

Fortunately they have no points system in Slovakia... although that's supposedly changing soon.
The fun of driving round Central and Eastern Europe :D
FYI: Dashcams are now banned in Austria, Switzerland and Spain with restrictions on their use in Australia and Poland.
Supposedly Russia are attempting to bring in a law to restrict the use of footage from dashcams.

Sorry guys, I forgot to add ;) at the end of the sentence. I don't actually think it would matter what speed is shown in the video as it is obviously wrong when I'm barely moving and it shows 60-70 kmph.
I hope Dome fixes the speed indicator problem and at least show the correct speed. Maybe they are forcing us not to exceed the allowed speed because it is recorded ? ;) I hope not.
I have found out that the speedo in my car shows 4kmph less than the actual speed, so I set cruise control for 54/94/134 (we have 50 limit in a town, 90 on country roads and 130 on highways) and according to a gps in my mobile I see the correct speed.

They took my drivers license and passport and said if the fine wasn't paid within 7 days my car would be destroyed and my license and passport withheld
Did they have uniforms and official car and so on? I hope it´s not the way they do stuff over there. I think they were forcing you to pay on spot so that they can keep the money. I don't believe that's a proper procedure - they can't take away your passport or destroy the car. I wouldn't pay. We have our cams and phones with GPS so we can defend ourselves now. That should scare them away. Maybe we should even record the conversations with police. So far I have been lucky with police men. I don´t call them names, I try to be polite, I actually don't think they are bad people. And they have treated me the same way. I was booked one time only and that was clearly my mistake so I didn´t say anything.

I have loaded fw439 in my cam for the one last time. We'll see how it behaves. I am in touch with SZDome already about the mount problem so I can add sound to my list of worries.

FYI: Dashcams are now banned in Austria, Switzerland and Spain with restrictions on their use in Australia and Poland.
Supposedly Russia are attempting to bring in a law to restrict the use of footage from dashcams.

I didn´t know that - what is the reason?

Wooo... were so far off topic now :D
All car manufacturers speedos are intentionally set slightly low (approx 10%) to avoid litigation.
When I'm cruising across Europe I use a GPS speedo, so I know the exact speed I'm doing in kms without having to squint at the tiny printed kms printed on UK speedos (you need a microscope to read them) :rolleyes:
Oh yes, the Slovak cops (there were about 6 of them) were official with several cars and on the spot fine are the norm in SK.
My donation to the Christmas party fund slips are stamped.. but probably from "special secondary" book of receipts ;)
Many Slovak police are (still) corrupt and a €20 strategically displayed on the dash or in your top pocket can make lots of road offences dissapear ;)
I've had a dashcam in my cars for many years, but this is the first time I've had a dashcam with GPS :)
I've moved my original dashcam to the rear window of the car so I'm covered front and back now :D
What's up with your mount?
More info about their legality here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam

the mount has faulty USB connector - doesn't work. So I've been using the usb in the camera itself but the cable is limiting the movement of the cam in the mount so it's not the best solution ever. I like the picture quality of my cam but all the other stuff is tiresome. We'll see what SZDome say about it.

btw here is a video of the sound after upgrading to FW654:
https://mega.co.nz/#!eUsl2SRS!1og3ZGvMI4lXQQYt2aSL8CHl_NN6RwR0NKWTKKDxhXc

It is much better, but the squealing, hissing and crackling is present all the time. I´ve sent this to SZDome to check out.

You're not having much luck are you, where did you buy your camera from?
The audio is better, I'd say they've decreased the mic gain in the newer firmware.
The background noise definitely appears to be data interference, have you tried using the latest firmware but recording a small video using the internal battery?
If you still hear squeaks and clicks then I doubt any firmware will fix the problem.

Last edited:
JooVuu's customer service is good, I'm sure they'd send you out a new camera if you returned it to them.
I'll let you beta test the new firmware and wait for your report :D

The firmware test went OK.

-The speed is shown correctly in video (sometimes it´s jumping up and down a little bit - 1-2km/h - but I blame the GPS system for that - it´s not that precise).
-There is a new feature: while recording the camera is displaying all the info (speed, date, time) in larger font so it is easily readable on camera´s display.
-The sound is the same as in FW654 or FW553, so no bad (or good) news here.
-I am not sure if there was "Parking mode" feature in the previous versions of FW, but it is there now. I am not sure how useful it is. One would have to use a separate USB charger or a USB plug in the car that is charged all the time for it to work while the car is parked and turned off.
-HDR feature is still only available in 720p/1080p 30fps, you can´t turn off LEDs or GPS speed overlay in video, so nothing new here.

But overall, this is my go-to FW for the future. I can´t use FW439 since the microphone is boosted too much and the noise is unbearable.

I'll be more careful not to exceed the local speed limits and everything should be fine.

btw this is my baby car:

It´s a Dacia Duster 1,2l turbo charged petrol engine. only a 2WD but I love it.

The GPS data probably isn't being filtered to ignore spurious GPS data hence it jumps about a bit.
I've found the GPS data from this camera absolutely spot on on Google Earth.
I always leave my camera running when it's out during the day, so "Parking mode" sounds a little pointless but I guess it adds another feature to the box :)
My SEAT which is basically a Sharan with a different badge has a permanently power cigarette socket, but if your Dacia (subsidiary of Renault) is like my previous Renault's the power goes off with the ignition.
There use to be a way you could override this by moving a fuse in the fusebox, but I don't know whether you can still do that?
Can you turn the speed display off?
Does it always record your speed on the footage?

Dacia's get a bad rap in the UK I guess it's because they're made in Romania so some people figure they must be crap.
I know a few people in the UK an Slovakia who have them and they love them!

Here's the flight deck of my 6 speed 1.9 litre diesel turbo SEAT Alhambra... aka my Euro Cruiser :D
UK to Poland on 1 tank of fuel (70 litres) fully loaded with 7 people, 1 smelly German Shepherd dog and a massive 650 litre roof box plonked on top... It pulls like and elephant and goes like a rocket... and it's so economical to run... I love it!
P.S. The Radar/Laser detector doesn't go to Mainland Europe as it's illegal in most countries :confused:

DSCN2802.jpg

From left to right:
G90 (now replaces my original dashcam)
TomTom
Digital compass (with Pacman watching over me)
Freeloader solar charger/powerpack
Snooper Radar and Laser detector
Custom modded WinCE device primarily running as a GPS speedo (also runs as full media centre, GPS logger, backup TomTom, plays games and lots of other things)
My HTC mobile phone
Plus a few other bits & pieces scattered around like bluetooth earpiece, toll change and a Šariš beer bottle cap?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Any problems with your camera just drop us a message at www.joovuu.com/contact we received new G90 firmware today so any problems just drop us a message. We're always here to help and get everything resolved.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hello Joovuu,

Thanks for your offer and helpfulness! You have a great attitude towards your customers, which is not a rule as one could say.

Would you be so kind and post a link to download the newer FW (if it´s newer than fw727 that I already uploaded) ? Maybe also in the future, if you get a new one from SZDome?
The thing is - SZDome don't have any FW webpage for customers. I don't know why is that or how it works, maybe there is a good reason for that. But it´s not very convenient for customers to ask their dealer all the time, if there is a newer one.

G90 is a great product but it has its fair share of flaws. Firmwares are sometimes the only way to get rid of them.

With regards,

Jiri

Regarding the FW727:
what i wrote earlier about the text being displayed in a larger, easily readable font on the camera´s display - unfortunately (and not logically) it only applies to 1080p/30fps HDR mode. All other modes have the same small unreadable font on display. Even 1080p/30fps without HDR.

Hi everyone,
This is the most recent file we have received from Dome. As usual this is the changelog we received from them.

Bug fixes

So I have no idea what has changed etc but this is from November 3rd.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

PS: Almost forgot the link.

https://joovuu.com/documents/G90Firmware_03112014.rar

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V G90 1
Bo$s G90 3
Pianoman144 G90 1
camerahanhtrinhvn.com G90 6
V G90 2
Back