Firmware issue question

KenDay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand from Nextbase's site that the latest firmware for the 522GW is R23.7.

On my unit when I check 'Sytem Info' it tells me that my current Firmware is R21.5

Yet when I use the 'MyNextbase' app to update the unit it gives me the following message:

1680277217401.png

I have the latest version of MyNextbase (downloaded today)

Any ideas?

Yes, I am doing the update attempt on the computer with the unit connected through the MyNextbase application.

I have R23.7 as supplied by Nextbase on a sd card, you simply take out your card and insert this one and it updates. Once complete which only takes seconds, replace your own sd card back into the unit.
I don’t know if you would have to install both R22 and R22.8 first to ensure you are fully updated.
Maybe Nextbase could enlighten us on that one.
But if you want the card just pm me, use and pass on.

I have R23.7 as supplied by Nextbase on a sd card, you simply take out your card and insert this one and it updates. Once complete which only takes seconds, replace your own sd card back into the unit.
I don’t know if you would have to install both R22 and R22.8 first to ensure you are fully updated.
Maybe Nextbase could enlighten us on that one.
But if you want the card just pm me, use and pass on.
Thank you very much - pm sent.

Hello,

I'm not sure why it's not showing on MyNextbase Player as it should be, I've passed this onto our Development Team to investigate.
You can connect your Dash Cam to your computer using the provided USB cable.

1) Plug your Dash Cam in. Ensure the cable is plugged directly into the dash cam and NOT via the mount.
2) On the dash cam's screen you'll see a menu of 3 options. Please select 'Firmware Update' on the Dash Cam's screen.
3) If the dash cam does not appear as a drive on your computer, please try all the USB ports on your computer. Double check that the cable is via the camera and not via the mount. If it still does not show, please remove the cable from the computer, press the reset button on the underside of the camera and plug the USB cable back into the camera.
4). On your computer you should see a drive pop up. Open this.
5) You should see DCIM and some links. Stay in this location. Please DO NOT open the DCIM Folder.
6) Download the firmware file here: https://nextbase.co.uk/help-and-support/dash-cams/522gw-dash-cam-support/
7). Unzip the folder and move the .BIN file/s onto the SD card location that you have open. You don't need to open the .BIN file, but just move it onto the SD card - don't open the DCIM Folder or drop the file in to the DCIM Folder. You won't be able to open the file on your computer as it's a firmware file.
8). Safely remove the camera from the computer.
9) Power the camera through the mount, or through a mains adaptor. Turn the camera on.
10) The camera should automatically update the firmware.
11) Once complete, your camera will restart twice. Then return to a normal recording screen. Your update has finished.

Alternatively we can also get a one-time use firmware update SD card posted to you if this would help. Please let me know if you need this.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Quote. “Alternatively we can also get a one-time use firmware update SD card posted to you if this would help. Please let me know if you need this.”

Ken Hi,
It would appear from Millie’s statement above that I’m wasting my time passing on a ‘one-time’ use card to you. I was not told it was a one-time use card, so apologise for my useless, but well meaning offer.

Quite often, when you update firmware via a card, part of the process wipes the card clean so when it reboots it doesn't go into another update loop.

Hello,

I'm not sure why it's not showing on MyNextbase Player as it should be, I've passed this onto our Development Team to investigate.
You can connect your Dash Cam to your computer using the provided USB cable.

1) Plug your Dash Cam in. Ensure the cable is plugged directly into the dash cam and NOT via the mount.
2) On the dash cam's screen you'll see a menu of 3 options. Please select 'Firmware Update' on the Dash Cam's screen.
3) If the dash cam does not appear as a drive on your computer, please try all the USB ports on your computer. Double check that the cable is via the camera and not via the mount. If it still does not show, please remove the cable from the computer, press the reset button on the underside of the camera and plug the USB cable back into the camera.
4). On your computer you should see a drive pop up. Open this.
5) You should see DCIM and some links. Stay in this location. Please DO NOT open the DCIM Folder.
6) Download the firmware file here: https://nextbase.co.uk/help-and-support/dash-cams/522gw-dash-cam-support/
7). Unzip the folder and move the .BIN file/s onto the SD card location that you have open. You don't need to open the .BIN file, but just move it onto the SD card - don't open the DCIM Folder or drop the file in to the DCIM Folder. You won't be able to open the file on your computer as it's a firmware file.
8). Safely remove the camera from the computer.
9) Power the camera through the mount, or through a mains adaptor. Turn the camera on.
10) The camera should automatically update the firmware.
11) Once complete, your camera will restart twice. Then return to a normal recording screen. Your update has finished.

Alternatively we can also get a one-time use firmware update SD card posted to you if this would help. Please let me know if you need this.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,
followed your instructions to the letter and guess what?...
SUCCESS!

Many thanks.

Quote. “Alternatively we can also get a one-time use firmware update SD card posted to you if this would help. Please let me know if you need this.”

Ken Hi,
It would appear from Millie’s statement above that I’m wasting my time passing on a ‘one-time’ use card to you. I was not told it was a one-time use card, so apologise for my useless, but well meaning offer.
Was about to message you to not send it but you'll see that I've had success with downloading and copying the .bin files -all good now.
Thanks again for the offer though.

Great to hear that you're now up and running! Let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back