firmware issue with Blackvue 900 2channel

Eight Wheels

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR900S-2CH
The connection from the camera to the cloud disconnects at random. It will not reconnect to the vehicle hotspot or home WiFi unless I unplug the power cord to the camera, and replug it in. Then it will reconnect to either the vehicle hotspot or home WiFi. Note, I've downloaded the most recent update to the unit, several times even, and the unit shows same. That tells me it is a firmware issue since it reconnects to the same source it disconnects from. Does anyone have any suggestion, support does not know why this is happening. Thanks

So did it work before the update? Did you update the firmware via SD card or via app?

Can't answer to the usage prior to the latest update, since the unit is new and has the latest update. But, update was done via the SD card.

I had similar issue with my dashcam after few hours of downloading a footage (overheated Wifi module?). Your issue could be hardware related as well.

Here you have some older firmwares if you want to try:
dr900s-2ch-v1.008-eng.zip
dr900s-2ch-v1.010-eng.zip

Well, it is new so I don't think its a hardware issue with the camera, you think its the camera?

Note, it does not seem to happen during the day when its mostly heat. Once it looses connection to the cloud, it seems to lock up and power cord has to be reinserted to get it to connect to the car hotspot or garage wifi whichever is nearest.

Yours was similar? You mean it will not reconnect to the cloud unless you restart the camera?

Similar, i had to replug the power or restart the Wifi via button (pushed about three times to get "Wifi on") on the side. But as i've said it was caused by the download of a footage.

EDIT: Wait a second. Couldn't it be caused by the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" function?

Last edited:
Similar, i had to replug the power or restart the Wifi via button (pushed about three times to get "Wifi on") on the side. But as i've said it was caused by the download of a footage.

EDIT: Wait a second. Couldn't it be caused by the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" function?

Yes, that sounds very similar to mine.

I have off the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" .... (and the "Wi-Fi auto turn on" is on)

What did you do to fix it? So, is your unit ok now? You had to replace it? Thanks.

I've communicated with another with similar issue. I guess its a problem with Blackvue. Is there another suggestion you have to fix?

I got replacement (third one at this moment, because of other issues actually) so it works ok for now. I think the problem develops overtime because the first and second unit didn't suffer by this issue at the beginning.

IMHO, it's definitely a reason for RMA.

I got replacement (third one at this moment, because of other issues actually) so it works ok for now. I think the problem develops overtime because the first and second unit didn't suffer by this issue at the beginning.

IMHO, it's definitely a reason for RMA.

My unit is only 2 months old and its been doing it since new, so being yours did the same and another commented on the same issue, I think its a Blackvue issue.

Did it do the same with you on the previous versions of firmware? Probably many more with the same problem and they don't even know. And Blackvue is not doing something about it since not many complain.

Something else, what size Blackvue SD card are you using?

Also, I notice it does not pickup motion and create an event, in parking mode.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure about v1.008 now but there was the issue in v1.010 for sure.

I was using Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB and now i have WD Purple 256GB.

What do you mean by "does not pickup motion"? The dashcam doesn't create any "_PF" or "_PR" files and it produces just event files instead?

Last edited:
If someone walks in front of the camera during parking mode, it does not capture that.

I guess ( not balckvue owner ) if you have motion detect on, which are often advised against as any little movement will set off a event recording, so park in a busy place for a while and be prepared to be overwhelmed by the number of events you can not use for anything but have to dig thru if there are actually one you can use in between them )
OR ! if the camera are able to use always record low bitrate recording for parking mode, which are a popular feature now as it record all the time so nothing to trigger.

When i get to try parking mode on other cameras i will go for always record low bitrate + G sensor if thats a option, so camera will record all the time and G-sensor will "tag" actual events so you know where to look.

I guess ( not balckvue owner ) if you have motion detect on, which are often advised against as any little movement will set off a event recording, so park in a busy place for a while and be prepared to be overwhelmed by the number of events you can not use for anything but have to dig thru if there are actually one you can use in between them )
OR ! if the camera are able to use always record low bitrate recording for parking mode, which are a popular feature now as it record all the time so nothing to trigger.

When i get to try parking mode on other cameras i will go for always record low bitrate + G sensor if thats a option, so camera will record all the time and G-sensor will "tag" actual events so you know where to look.
I do have it on all the time, set to the highest sensitivity and it does not record activity in front of it nor from behind.

From actual use I see the Blackvue 900 2ch is not what it was made out to be. I bought into the features and services but would not mind if I would have them.

And most users probably are not taking advantage of all the features (cloud). Not to mention, reviewers do not update nor test long term these units and only get to the differences out of the box. But, for me, I wanted a full featured unit and its let me down. Blackvue does not have a fix for it.

okay then it seem like a bug in the firmware, which are strange cuz in most cameras motion detect work fine with a tendency to be too sensitive no matter the setting, only very few it seem to me have it not sensitive enough or not working at all.
I have not personally had the chance to hold a blackvue camera up against anything else, but from what others have shown it do look as if the smarts come at a trade off in image quality.
Maybe in a few years when i can get flatrate mobile data at a sane price, and the smart cloud features have matured + a few 5G networkd have been rolled out over Denmark with the resulting relocation of 4 & 3G antennas to more rural areas i might give it a chance.

Motion detection works for me without problem (firmware v1.011), so that's another reason for RMA (doesn't matter if it's brand new...).

Motion detection works for me without problem (firmware v1.011), so that's another reason for RMA (doesn't matter if it's brand new...).
There is one other try I can attempt, to do a factory reset or total clear of the camera. Do you know to do this?

there are normally a reset to default in the settings, some cameras also have a little pinhole somewhere to do a reset of the hardware.

Back