[FIRMWARE] July 4th - bricked

hollandog

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I tried to install the latest July 4th firmware downloaded from Joovuu site.
Following the instructions there, I got to the part where the camera turned itself off.

I powered it back on and now it's stuck with the green light. Won't respond to the record button/mode button.
Holding mode button will not turn on Wifi. I tired the reset button it just turns the camera off. Turn back on and same green light. Holding power button will turn itself off.

Any ideas? Thanks

Yeah it seel like many of us got that using the .bin file, but you can unbrick the camera using the direct USB software and the .elf file

How to use video
https://joovuu.com/community/index.php?thread/399-unbricking-the-joovuu-x/

And this is a DL link to the same newest firmware just in the elf format needed for the Direct USB program.
https://mega.nz/#!7B0BnLBI!NTS4Y0Tu7vSOhuMcVPBRspM14oh0Wes36H00Tl6ElMA

I had this with the latest 2 updates :oops: but the elf file allways sort me out in times of truble.

actually back when I did Ambarella product I always updated them using the elf firmware, for some reason occasionally (1 in 20 maybe) they would fall over just at the last step when updating via memory card, never did find out why but the elf way worked 100% of the time

yeah i am inclined to think there is some halt / stop in the .bin code that have been left out lately, and so the update trip over its own feet when trying to update.

Everything seem normal right up untill the camera have rebooted, then it all seem to go to hell :)

Good manner or what ever you will call it joovuu allways provide both type of update files with each new release, so nothing you have to wait for.

there's some sort of check process at the end, some firmwares will auto erase the file at that point, that's where it seems to fall over if it's going to at all

We are aware of this problem - we have managed to replicate this problem. We're working on a version to unbrick now and 'upgrade' but in the mean time in our forums you can upgrade by elf.

We are incredibly sorry about this (little consolation) but we are working on a way to make this up to you guys.
:)

thanks for the quick respond. I'll try to unbrick it later.

Should be a walk in the park "H-dog"

sigh, I unbricked the X and updated to 7/4 firmware. The random stop recording still there. My 20 minutes round trip was stopped twice at 3 mins and 6 mins.
I will probably get back to the mobius for now until it gets more stable.

I just had a little bout of weird stop / start on one of my test cameras, i was trying out a firmware with a little higher bitrate ( 23 mbit ) and the camera just stopped now and then for no reason.
It turned out it was my SD card that was not able to handle the little higher than normal bitrate, and granted the SD card was not one of my faster cards but really by my calculations it should be more than enough.
So i am a little confused now :confused:

Anyway put in my fast SDXC class 10 U3 card and it benchmark to over 70 MB/s.

Kingston 64 Gb - class 10/U3.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 75.7 MByte/s
Reading speed: 81.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

But if you are using the same card as in the mobius, then i think both cards do 18mbit so the card should also work in both cameras.

There is allready a new FW out.
https://joovuu.com/community/index.php?thread/728-firmware-15th-july/

BTW you do remember to reset camera after update ? if you don't remember to do that it can behave weird.

Thanks for the info.

This is the card I'm using. It works well in my Mobius (3 of them) and Mini 0803.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00IVPU7AO
Not sure if it was the card causing the issue. I did reset after update.
I will up date to 7/15 and reset then perform some test again.

If it works in the other cameras then it work in the joovuu too, i have tried quite a few brands and models of memory cards in my 3 cameras and i have never experienced problems with the SD cards all thru out testing and after release.

Would format the card with the camera help?
I think this is one step I haven't done.

Just tried to update to 7/15 via .bin and bricked again. Going for .elf now...
I use mac so .bin is an easier route for me than get to my other PC.

Last edited:
Yeah i had to use the .elf too on this one.

I am on PC but i allays go for the .bin first, so i hope those will start working again for me/us.

updated to 7/15 via .elf and formatted card in camera. Going to leave it on overnight and see if it will stop recording.

So far thought the X cam has been problems, but I'm glad the manufacturer has been providing great support and timely updates on the issues.
They work hard to get this right. Thought it's not yet perfect I'm sure it will be a great camera once they iron out all the bugs.

edit: 45 minutes since I left it on record and still going without stopping. Good sign. I will check again tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I know this is a old thread but could someone tell me how to unbrick my JooVuu x. It stopped while updating and now just has the green light permanantly on. Thanks.

Back