Firmware update, good or bad.

Sabe

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
G90, GT300W, Mobius A, C
As a techo oriented person i very often upgrade my devices and programs, and many times just for fun without gaining anything special with upgrade.
There is a high risk of brick camera or just waste many hours to even get back to old firmware, and this is the question: What you can achieve by upgrading camera firmware, and is it generally worth it?

I am not an english speaker but for me the "up" from update and upgrade means more, over, better. I always used the latest versions available and never understood the people scared by some beta or alpha programs even some of them were beta for years. Also many of them are saying if a thing is working just not change it. Also I don't agree, because if you studied, have information you know what you are doing, but if you don't like to read, search and be informed is more easy to stay.
If no changes, no evolution.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, but last time you upgrade your camera firmware what was the change?

I always read the changelog and if there is something i consider my device will benefit from then i upgrade the devices firmware.
If not then i wait until a firmware release comes out that has some extra functionality or improvement for the device.

It entirely up to each individual user if they upgrade or not or if they think the upgrade is of any use.

This is an interesting question. Many people expect major improvements with a firmware update. Unfortunately this is usually not the case.

If you have a Korean camera, usually there is no harm in updating the firmware since the newer firmware might address some glitches and you don't really have to worry about bricking your camera.

For Chinese cameras, I would NOT update the firmware unless there is something wrong with the camera since there is a greater chance to brick the camera.

If you are getting an extra feature from the new firmware such as adjustable bit rate, extra sensitivity settings, etc, it might be worth it. Most times, if your camera is working as expected, upgrading firmware is not necessary.

DashCamMan said:
Most times, if your camera is working as expected, upgrading firmware is not necessary.
Even I fully agree, I like to note, that all is All this is quite relative and individual.
Myself, i have a much better night sleep, when I know all my applications and firmwares (in PC and other gadgets too, not only dashcams) are @ the very latest version. :)

Not all changes are in changelog and many developers don't like to write, event they worked for firmware 2 weeks and writing few words is under 5 minutes.
If some users know how are looking some changelogs used for example for ImgBurn or MKVToolnix, maybe they will expect a long list, but for these cameras the list is very short like DCM said. And I agree with chinese cameras firmware update because chinese are lying very much when they want to sell.

So for known brands and korean cameras which have official websites it is always better to upgrade, but for most of chinese is better to wait and read the experienced users feedback.

sabe, my 808 #18 is not a real dashcam but received very important firmware updates and only because of that firmware support I bought the camera.

I am always searching for firmware support before buying a gadget because my final decision is based in this search.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back