Firmware Upgrade V1.03(update 0924) ?

vikas027

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
Hey guys,

I've just received my dashcam. Do you recommend to upgrade the firmware?

This is my first dashcam, so just trying to be a bit cautious to not screw up anything.

Thanks.

It is pretty safe to update the firmware on dashcams, and hard to turn it into a brick.
I always update stuff, though my BIOS update on my computer motherbord last week, well it was a few months after the new BIOS was released.

On this same subject...a question.

First post here - been lurking and learning. I am trying to install the V1.03 upgrade on my A119 V3 camera. I downloaded file from official Viofo website to my computer. Attached camera to computer with USB cable. Copied the file (FWA119V3.bin) to root directory on camera. Unplugged camera. Plugged camera back in to computer with USB cable. No indication of anything happening (flashing red LED?) Disconnected camera, reinstalled in car, turned it on. Still shows VER 1.02 in the setting menu. IE, the upgrade to VER 1.03 did not happen.

Suggestions? I'm probably doing something wrong, but have zero experience with dash cam firmware upgrading, so ???

Is the .bin file still on the card?
Don't use your computer to power the camera after transferring the .bin file to the card. Use the short USB data cable and a USB wall charger or the power source in your car.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did (also) try using the car power source to power up after the transfer, but still didn't work.

THEN, I discovered the problem: ME. When I copied the .bin file from computer to camera, it ended up in the DCIM folder, instead of the ROOT directory where it was supposed to go.

Moved the file (on the camera) to the ROOT directory, powered camera up in the car, and VOILA the update was accomplished!

Like I said, I'm a total newbie with dash cams. Live and learn!

If it’s zipped, then you need to unzip first. It’s normally not zipped though. Just copy the .bin file to the root directory of the card (not in any folders).

I'm not sure if that's 1.03 as it doesn't say it when I download it. Do I need to un-zip it if it already comes as .bin or do I just put it into the root of the memory card as is?
The downloaded .bin file name should be FWA119V3.bin and size = 3.2 MB. If so, you have the correct .bin file. As stated above, make sure it ends up in the ROOT directory of the card. Then connect the camera to a power source. Use either the car power cord or a plugin wall charger cord - don't connect to the computer for this step. File will install itself automatically.

Last edited:
If it’s zipped, then you need to unzip first. It’s normally not zipped though. Just copy the .bin file to the root directory of the card (not in any folders).
The downloaded .bin file name should be FWA119V3.bin and size = 3.2 MB. If so, you have the correct .bin file. As stated above, make sure it ends up in the ROOT directory of the card. Then connect the camera to a power source. Use either the car power cord or a plugin wall charger cord - don't connect to the computer for this step. File will install itself automatically.

Thank you both! I should first format the card before updating the firmware, correct? Is there any risk to updating the firmware?

I should first format the card before updating the firmware, correct? Is there any risk to updating the firmware?
My update worked fine after I got the .bin file copied to the correct spot in the root directory. If the update doesn't work, you can always do it over again. Format the card, then do update. After update is installed, reset camera to default settings.

The review linked below has some suggested settings and tips. Scroll to the bottom of the linked page.

Thank you both! I should first format the card before updating the firmware, correct? Is there any risk to updating the firmware?
Yes, format the card in the camera first, then copy over the firmware file. There is very little risk in updating, so I would not worry about messing anything up. If you don't have the correct file or the file is not in the correct place, it just won't update.

Yes, format the card in the camera first, then copy over the firmware file. There is very little risk in updating, so I would not worry about messing anything up. If you don't have the correct file or the file is not in the correct place, it just won't update.

Very weird. Before I was able to format, the camera would shut off flashing "memory card error" unless I got to the menu quickly. After formatting, it was all good.

I have a question, though. If parking mode has both "G-sensor" AND "movement detection," what is the point of having "movement detection" a separate category? Seems unnecessary unless I'm misunderstanding something.

It would be nice ( i think ) with a motion + G sensor parking mode, so camera are in motion detect mode all the time, but it only save a event if it is accompanied by a G-sensor event.
That i assume would take care of the main issue with using motion detect, being that every little motion set off a event recording.
Something like If motion record / if G-sensor trigger within 5 - 10 seconds store in RO folder, this way all the false motion recordings are just in among the regular recording memory card space, and so will get deleted when it is time for that.

But as it is now, it is one or the other.

My V3 arrived with the latest firmware already installed on it, am still yet to get it installed.

At least that confirms you have a new unit and not one that's been sat on a shelf for a while

Back