Firmware v1.012 - improved night vision

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S - 2ch with B-124 battery hardwired
BlackVue have released a new firmware for the DR900S and new BlackVue app to accompany it;

The firmware isn't list on their website yet, but here is the change log from the App;

1. Improved GPS Tracking:
- Improved tracking log search and results.

2. New Video On Map function (Fleet Plan only):
- Play Cloud uploaded videos from the map.
Note: incompatible with DR650GW Series.

3. New HDR Night Vision function featuring HDR (replaces Enhanced Night Vision).
Note: compatible with DR900S Series.

※ Compatible model & firmware version
1) DR650GW-1/2CH v2.010 and up.
2) DR650S-1/2CH v1.013 and up.
3) DR750S-1/2CH v1.017 and up.
4) DR900S-1/2CH v1.012 and up.

HDR option in the config finally gets official "1"? Nice. :) Btw: There is a download link already, but it's under "Download" in v1.011 section.

EDIT: Dang it, the option is still "0". But "HDR" is shown in the OSD, so probably it's turned on. And it's official:

WHAT’S NEW:
  1. New HDR Night Visionfor the front (4K) camera.
    1. Replaces the Night Vision setting (the rear camera will still apply Night Vision).
    2. Preserves highlights day and night.
    3. Better colors and sharpness.
  2. GPS Trackingimprovements (Any Paid Cloud Plan)
    1. Polling rate increased for better accuracy (1 minute –> 15 seconds).
    2. Multiple usability improvements.
    3. Not supported by the BlackVue Mac Viewer.
  3. Video On Map(Fleet Plan only)
    1. In GPS Tracking mode, play auto and manually uploaded videos right from the the map.
    2. Not supported by the BlackVue Mac Viewer.
  4. Quick View Notifications update (Any Paid Cloud Plan):
    In case of Event, access the video directly from the push notification or via the Notifications menu in the BlackVue App/Viewer.

※ Compatible software versions:
BlackVue App: Android v2.91 / iOS v2.91 and up.
BlackVue Viewer: Windows v2.08 / Mac v1.33 and up.

Last edited:
Did anybody notice any improvements? New firmware seems to handle a glare in a daytime better but night produces significantly more noise(worse IQ for me) during drive.

Last edited:

What’s the catch? Should you use it?
You might ask “If it is so great, why even give the choice to deactivate HDR Night Vision?”.

For each recorded frame, HDR Night Vision combines two images in one, with various exposures. At night, it can cause a visual artifact in fast-moving bright objects which may be visible when pausing the video. However, the advantages outweigh the cons in most situations. It’s just something to keep in mind, and you are free to deactivate the feature if you prefer without. If you are interested in using HDR but think the rear camera would be too bright with Night Vision, you can adjust the brightness of the rear cam independently.

Um, nice video of DAY.....where is the NIGHT? LMAO>

Mike

Sorry but to be totally honest, this is the level of vid quality I'd expect from a cheap cam with an outdated sensor. Can't read most plates and almost no chance of identifying oncoming traffic even at these low speeds. If Blackvue ever got their video up to the same level as their cam features they'd be unbeatable but they have never seemed inclined to even try that :(

Phil

Sorry but to be totally honest, this is the level of vid quality I'd expect from a cheap cam with an outdated sensor. Can't read most plates and almost no chance of identifying oncoming traffic even at these low speeds. If Blackvue ever got their video up to the same level as their cam features they'd be unbeatable but they have never seemed inclined to even try that :(

Phil
not sure what resolution you're watching at but looks ok at 4k, better than their previous efforts

Yeah not too bad, a bit noise ASO, but that is to be expected.
And the white on black plates remind me of times past as that was hoe Danish plates looked when i was a child.

Phil

What are you watching it on? At 4K resolution the video looks fine to me.

yeah look like mercury,,, something street lights, so thats good.
Make me eager to test my first 4K dashcam one day, but with my look on things current 4K cameras are actually "okay" in regard to low light performance, my greatest concern are still daytime and bitrate used and if bitrate is good what file size will be.
I will of course prefer to be able to see if that guy sideswiping me on a dark highway at night have a acne problem or not, but that in any resolution are some years away.

yeah look like mercury,,, something street lights, so thats good.
Make me eager to test my first 4K dashcam one day, but with my look on things current 4K cameras are actually "okay" in regard to low light performance, my greatest concern are still daytime and bitrate used and if bitrate is good what file size will be.
I will of course prefer to be able to see if that guy sideswiping me on a dark highway at night have a acne problem or not, but that in any resolution are some years away.
I've actually never had an issue with the 900's night time video. But I live in a city where everything is very well lit. Curious to try this new mode in the winter when my commute is entirely in the dark. Right now our days are very long so I can't really test it out.

One minute clips are around 250mb on the highest resolution setting. You get about 8 hours of footage on a 128gb card. Reduced resolution file downloads from the unit to your smartphone in about 30 seconds.

A bit more easy for us Northern guys this time of the year, last night saw high skies wayyyy up in the air and north being illuminated from below, so made the night here in Denmark a little bit brighter for the few house that we have darkness this time of the year.
Being further north where the sun never set, frustrating as hell for a visitor even if all he have to do is fish salmon on rod , eat - sleep and smoke some weed as we did back in those days.
Last "night" in Denmark.
11052cfc-0265-4a95-8213-6672fb961902.jpg

Easy to see which way are north this time of the year and in the night, there will be a glow of light in the horizon.

The quality improvement somehow doesn't work for me. :)

The quality improvement somehow doesn't work for me. :)

Seem like a lot of noise there. Did you increase the brightness?

Yes, after i saw your video i've tried to increase the "brightness" as well. Without much effect - this is actually at level "5".

Last edited:
Back