Firmware v1.012 - improved night vision

Yes, after i saw your video i've tried to increase the "brightness" as well. Without much effect - this is actually at level "5".
I see. Mine is still default value. Going to try brighter settings as well. Guess that I am getting more noise as well like yours then.

Unfortunately as i’ve mentioned above, overall at night the IQ is worse for me - the noise(not to mention so much hot-pixels) is present even on the default value of the brightness.

I’ll try to do some testing next week.

Last edited:
My two cents.
My cameras work fine. Firmware up date can change that. So I"m not messing with it, unless there is a problem with the camera that a firmware update will fix. Been down that road too many times with computers and printers.

Mike

Ah Ha. Applying the well known "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" rule I see.
I too wait for early adopters (silly people, I call them) to suffer the grief of **** ups in updates to be sorted.

Most updates for the various 'gizmos' these days seem to be centred around TwitFace or testing to see how unhealthy you are. And I have no interest in any of that stuff.

I used to trust Apple updates without question, but after the past few years, no more. I wait until I NEED the update to have my computer function with some new program or equipment. And even then I wait a few weeks to read about the problems. They still have not fixed the issue with Citrix and the new update to the Safari browser.

Good old Windows has all sorts of issues with 'updates', some new Dynamic Link Library that comes with a new program takes out all your other programs. Thus I don't use Windows much. I have a fine tuned version of 7 running with Parallels on my Macs and the updates for that are turned off. I don't surf from that environment, just run two programs...quicken and Handibase. I have not converted to the Mac version of quicken yet, and Handibase stopped developing their mac version.

I have been burned by Epson on updates for my newer (****TY epson printers, that I threw out, had three of the same model) and that update nuked the function of my trusty Epson 2200 Photo printer. (I had backup of the needed files and fixed that). That was back when Epson made good stuff. Ya, perhaps its just the price point for the XP-830 line, but my $79 Brother's laser printer works just fine. And updates for those are turned off. The Epson printer Firmware updates that I was actually allowing messed up my network settings etc. so that was off. LOL.

Yes, if it's not broken, don't fix it!!

I put my DR900S clips into FCPX (editing software), and pulled the gamma (gain/ISO) up, and it looks the same as HDR. Looks like "HDR" mode shoots at low brightness then uses DSP processing to increase the gain to the dark areas...this is acomplished in FCPX by lifting the shadows slider, and you get the same hot pixels visible everywhere. The only reason I bought a 4K dashcam was to better identify license plates (moving vehicles), which doesnt seem to be possible at night with the 900S.

Paul

Hello
Could you make a night footage again but with the lowest ISO ?
Indeed, the more ISO you put, the more grainy/noisy your image will be, especially at night.

This is explained here :

I have recently purchased a new 900S and set it to the extreme setting. The remaining are default.
I find the quality grainy and not sharp.
Is there anything I should do to make it better?
Feels worst than my 550GW and 750S.
Feels like I wasted money on this 4k cam.
Upset.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Can someone see if my video is actually in 4k?

I am referring to the quality of the video using the 4k cam and not the upload quality of youtube.

Last edited:
It is now on youtube, but it will not be that right after you upload it, the youtube servers need time to process ( re-code ) your video, so at first even if it is 4K it will just appear as 380 or 420p video.

I am referring to the quality of the video using the 4k cam and not the upload quality of youtube.

Back