Firmware

I'm out of the country at the moment so I can't give it a go but has anyone tried to update the firmware via the desktop software?

21.6 is available on website now, please download and install as and when you can.

21.6 is available on website now, please download and install as and when you can.
That is good to see.
It would be more useful (before I update the firmware) to know what changes have been made.

I see that the online manual is very out of date ---
For example R17.9 has a choice about "user settings" (I can't remember the exact title) but that is not in the manual. What does it do?
Another example is that R17.9 allows the LO res files to be ignored - but this facility is not in the online manual.
There might be other features that an updated manual should cover.
What are your plans to revise the manual?

@jandrew yes we are revising it now, to reflect all of these changes.

I think they're just going through their final check.

See this post for changes: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...g-in-camera-for-512gw-ultra.30950/post-410623
OK
I've read that message and note that - "5) Option to retain user settings at firmware update."
That option was available in R17.9 so I set it to "ON".
Then I upgraded to R21.6.
But that reset all my options and ignored what I had previously chosen.
Obviously I have some misunderstanding about this, and resetting all my choices every time I upgrade is not a major problem.
BUT, it would be nice to know how this option works,

I have now used the 512GW for a few days and am very pleased with the clarity of the image and the performance of the camera and Replay3 software.

I'm puzzled by the number of protected files that I am getting - but will look at this in more detail in a week or two.

Still find that I have to turn the "G Sensor" OFF in my 512GW, as even a gentle "bump" over a sleeping policeman will protect the file....

But I can live with that, if needed I can press the button on the camera to store an incident...

What setting is the G-Sensor set to @jandrew?

What setting is parking mode set to?

Parking Mode = OFF

G-Sensor = Lo
At that setting, I had 95 files of which 51 were Protected and only 44 were not.
Both files were being overwritten (the Protected started at ......61 and the unprotected at 60.
I watched each protected file and could see no reason for any protection.
Some were probably sleeping policemen others were potholes but there were several more.

I have now inserted a 128M card which will last for many days so I can download relevant files long before they can be overwritten, so I don't need protection.
Accordingly, I have now set G-Sensor = OFF.

I will test the parking mode in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, if it is possible through a firmware update, the G-Sensor could have more settings with greater range (say 1 to 10, with 1 - 3 being less sensitive than the current Lo).
Further, the G-Sensor will be a mechanical device and likely very variable from device to device. More settings might allow the user to cope with that mechanical variation.

Thank you for confirming that, it really helps. With G-Sensor off it should only protect parking mode files either when the ignition is off or when you enter/exit.

If this doesn't happen please let me know, you shouldn't be getting that many that is for sure.

OK.
Over 10 days have gone past and I have got round to looking at the videos produced by the 512GW which I have attached to the rear screen (this is a second 512GW, not a "rear camera" extension. I now have a 512 GW on both front and back).

The PARKING MODE = OFF.
I have put off checking the parking mode for at least a few weeks.

The G-SENSOR = LO
On this Lo setting I have 90 files on a 64G Card of which 43 are Protected and only 47 are not protected.
This is silly.
There are only the usual road faults (pot-holes, sleeping policemen, etc.) none of which should set the protection.
Both the protected files and other files go back only a couple of days - clearly the protected files (back to file no 369) are not being protected for much longer than the other files (back to file no 383).
This device really needs several more sensitive settings for the G-Sensor lower than the current "LO".
I shall turn it to OFF.
This is the same problem as with the front-facing 512GW when I had 51 protected and 44 normal files.

In the last couple of weeks the year-facing 512GW has overwritten the 64G card more than 5 times without me reformatting it. That is good :p because I shall forget or neglect to do it.

There is a fair amount of "shake" on the camera (the front-facing 512GW was the same) and I put that down to the fairly long and 'willowy' mounting arm.
Perhaps things will be better when I use the sticky pad fixing which is much shorter.
Nevertheless, each individual frame is high quality - although it will, no doubt, be better if I can reduce the shake.

It is also difficult to remove the camera without moving the arm at the ball joint (I can't hold the arm still at the same time, because I only have one hand). I might try some glue on the ball to prevent the arm from moving at the ball joint - something like 'pritstick' might be enough and still be "breakable" when I really need to move or remove the ball fitting.

I'm off now to see if the firmware has been updated from 21.6 or the manual updated to reflect changed from before 15.8

A small blob of blutack is a good way of stiffening up the ball/socket.

Not too much, just a ball bearing size blob is enough.

I fully agree with your issue. I had the same where the ball joint moved and it was almost impossible to mount/unmount one handed. Had to realign the camera each time it was remounted.

Enter the 380 and no more problem. One handed is a breeze as it doesn't move, nor does it vibrate.

Last edited:
Back