First Dash Cam: Garmin Dash Cam 35 vs Nextbase 512G vs DOD LS470W

Distorted Vision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am from the UK and am looking to buy my first dash cam to be permanently hardwired into the fusebox.

The first thing that surprised me that that the big name electronics manufacturers weren't in the dashcam market. I was looking at the Garmin Dash Cam 35, Nextbase 512G and DOD LS470W. Can anyone please clarify if Nextbase are just rebadged DOD? My requirements in addition to video quality were build quality, discrete mount, product / warranty support. I noticed that the Garmin has red light / speed camera warning which is a big selling point for me. I also prefer to buy the Garmin brand but from my research the Nextbase and DOD use Sony sensors which are superior quality and higher bit rate. I also preferred the looks of the Garmin. But there is an official UK distributor for DOD.

I would be grateful for some advice or any other suggestions.

There are a lot of "Big Name" branded dashcam products that are simply re-branded generic products unfortunately. (just a licensing deal)

@niko is the official UK distributor for Street Guardian

Thank you. Is Garmin a re-branded generic? One thing about the DOD was the Sony Exmor sensor. But I've not found any videos comparing the two. I'm actually swaying towards the Garmin because I already own Garmin devices and my familiarity with the brand and the camera warning is a big feature for me. But I appreciate the quality of video from the DOD may be a little better.

Or is there something different that I've completely missed?

Is there a post on the forum that lists which dashcam brands are re-branded generics?

I respect Garmin GPS related products, they are good in this. Unfortunatelly I havn't seen any "big-boys" who would develop their own dashcam from A to Z. HP, Garmin, Cobra, etc. They all use generic / public platform dashcams by just re-branding them ( logo license ). Maybe some day we may see some good dashcams from "big-boys", but at the moment they are just re-branded generic models with very little minor tweaks.

Two major brands in the UK for dashcams seems to be Nextbase and Transcend. This may be largely due to the likes of Halford mostly stocking models from them. I only knew Transcend as producing memory cards.

Its a shame DOD don't have safety camera warning. I'm still swayed towards the Garmin.

from the models mentioned I'd prefer the Garmin, I know who makes it and they do good quality product

IMO
Video quality (especially at night) and proven reliability are the number 1 deciders when it comes to the growing new DashCam market.

I am from the UK and am looking to buy my first dash cam ... My requirements in addition to video quality were build quality, discrete mount, product / warranty support.

Don't limit your choices to familiar brand names. In the dashcam world, the most respected brands include such names as BlackVue, Lukas, Thinkware, Street Guardian, etc.

I think that two Street Guardian models most closely match your requirements, the SGZC12RC & SG9665GC. The Thinkware F750 is also excellent, though not as small / discreet as the Street Guardians, & the after sales support surely cannot be as good.

Perhaps I was looking at a different Garmin when I was going to purchase, but what I found was that Garmin could not be hardwired, at least not without devising your own hardwired kit. It's what put me off it within the first 15 minutes of research.

Thank you all of you. I'd like to say that respect to jokiin and niko for showing integrity and not trying to sell me a Street Guardian. I am looking at buying dashcams for each of my parents' cars and my girlfriends as well as my own. I may end up buying different models from different manufacturers. I will certainly be looking at Street Guardian. Can I just clarify the SGZC12RC, SG9665GC and Thinkware F750 don't have safety camera warnings?

Can I just clarify the SGZC12RC, SG9665GC and Thinkware F750 don't have safety camera warnings?

The Street Guardian cams don't. The Amazon UK description for the Thinkware F750 includes ...
'continuous alert for photo enforcement locations on your driving routes. The F750 provides active warning for these types of road safety cameras - Red Light, Speed Camera, Average Speed and Mobile Zone Warning Systems.'

Back