First Dash Cam suggestion - 2 options?

Jikunde

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been trying to find the best dash cam, for my budget ( £150ish).

I was able to narrow it down to two cams:

1. Blackvue dr450 1 ch
2. Nextbase 312gw

Nextbase has an lcd and gps as standard which is a plus but having a SatNav-like big thing on my dash is a minus!

That's why I was thinking of buying the blackvue as it is really small and doesn't really get in the way.

Any suggestions??

In terms of the video quality, which one is superior ( watched lots of videos but really hard to decide without side by side comparison)? I would like to be able to share odd moments on youtube (ok, not my main concern).

I would like to be able upload the videos without a software to my laptop as well, is that possible with any of these?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

P.s. I am in the UK
P.s.2 I am thinking of getting it hardwired in Halfords, anyone recommends it?

the Nextbase likely has better video, everything else though the Blackvue is better than the Nextbase

I've had some Nextbase stuff. Video quality is good on their top models but they don't seem to be built to last, especially considering the price. They're also quite bulky cams. I wouldn't buy another Nextbase.

For £150 budget I'd buy a JooVuu X and a Mobius C2 and have two front cams so there's less chance of not capturing an important moment if one cam malfunctions or has a problem with its memory card, its power supply or user error.

My wife's car has a JooVuu and Mobius in the front plus a second Mobius in the rear. My car has a JooVuu front and rear plus a Street Guardian SGZC12RC tucked behind my sun visor (my car also regularly has other cams for experiments or other purposes).

the Nextbase likely has better video, everything else though the Blackvue is better than the Nextbase
To be honest, I am a bit surprised to hear that. I would have expected Blackvue to have better video given the price of it.

To be honest, I am a bit surprised to hear that. I would have expected Blackvue to have better video given the price of it.

the hardware used in the Nextbase camera is capable of better video quality, that said though it's still built to a price rather than a standard so falls down in other respects so not a product I would recommend at all

I've had some Nextbase stuff. Video quality is good on their top models but they don't seem to be built to last, especially considering the price. They're also quite bulky cams. I wouldn't buy another Nextbase.

For £150 budget I'd buy a JooVuu X and a Mobius C2 and have two front cams so there's less chance of not capturing an important moment if one cam malfunctions or has a problem with its memory card, its power supply or user error.

My wife's car has a JooVuu and Mobius in the front plus a second Mobius in the rear. My car has a JooVuu front and rear plus a Street Guardian SGZC12RC tucked behind my sun visor (my car also regularly has other cams for experiments or other purposes).

I haven't seen the dashcams you mentioned in person but yes, definitely Nextbase is bulky. I want to be able to hide the dashcam behind the mirror so that's why Blackvue is a good option.

The cams you mentioned doesn't have GPS which is one of the things I am looking for in the dashcam.

I think it is a good idea to have two cams to increase the coverage and mitigate the risk of failing to record at all; but I am not sure if I want two dashcams on my window:) and also considering the fact that there is greater chance of attracting thiefs?

I haven't seen the dashcams you mentioned in person but yes, definitely Nextbase is bulky. I want to be able to hide the dashcam behind the mirror so that's why Blackvue is a good option.

The cams you mentioned doesn't have GPS which is one of the things I am looking for in the dashcam.

I think it is a good idea to have two cams to increase the coverage and mitigate the risk of failing to record at all; but I am not sure if I want two dashcams on my window:) and also considering the fact that there is greater chance of attracting thiefs?

Hi,
The JooVuu X does have GPS :)

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the most important aspect of a dashcam is reliability so of those 2 I'd choose the BlackVue. Any good cam should last several years and the better ones will do that and more. After 3-5 years there will likely be enough improvement in technology to make an upgrade sensible. Then you can use the old cam for the rear, gift it, or sell it as long as it's still working so buying quality is well worth the price ;)

Phil

IMHO the most important aspect of a dashcam is reliability so of those 2 I'd choose the BlackVue. Any good cam should last several years and the better ones will do that and more. After 3-5 years there will likely be enough improvement in technology to make an upgrade sensible. Then you can use the old cam for the rear, gift it, or sell it as long as it's still working so buying quality is well worth the price ;)

Phil
the hardware used in the Nextbase camera is capable of better video quality, that said though it's still built to a price rather than a standard so falls down in other respects so not a product I would recommend at all

Thanks for all of your help. I think I will go with Blackvue DR450.

Any suggestion if 16GB is enough? I am not sure how many minutes can be recorded on it with Blackvue

Back