First Dashcam Purchase

bogatkev

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking into purchasing a dashcam for some time now and I'm having trouble finding a solution that works for me.

First of all, how much of an effect does leaving your dashcam in the car have? It's been hard finding a good answer about this. I'm pretty lazy and I know I won't be removing my dashcam(s) when I park. During work my car is going to be out in direct sunlight for pretty much the whole day. That being said I do have 35% tint installed on my rear window and my windshield has a UV blocker padding around the rearview mirror. Would this be enough to protect the dashcams?

The goal is to have a cam in the front and back. I'm having a difficult time finding a dual channel setup that I like though. What I would like to have is a very discrete wedge shaped cam (with a screen) in the front like the A119S, and some generic small one in the back. I've found these but they seem a little bulkier than I would like them to be. Rexing V1P, Z-EDGE S3 Dual Dash Cam. A dual cam setup like the LG Innotek 2-Channel could work with me viewing the videos on my phone but that relies on multiple factors working together and I would like to keep my dashcam setup as simple as I can.

A good parking mode is also something else that I am interested in.

-Discrete
-Temp Resistant
-Dual Channel
-Screen Preffered
-Good Parking mode

I'm going on a business trip 4/17/17 so I would like to have everything installed by then. I could wait if wait if some good new camera is going to be released soon.

Street Guardian is very close to releasing a 2ch cam which will be much like you want, but there is no fixed date for that. The SG9665GC seems to hold up well in the heat based on many user reports here so I expect their new cam will do equally well ;)

I live in upstate SC where summers are pretty hot and all my cams stay permanently mounted. I do mount them out of the direct sunlight- that is important. Mobius, G1W-HC, and G1W-C all take this in stride so I believe that most of the better-quality cams would be OK too as long as they are also out of direct sunlight, but that can sometimes be hard to do with the wedge-shaped cams which 'hug' the windshield, plus those catch radiant heat from the windshield from being so close. Mine are all set back from the windows & windshield :) I did experience a battery failure in Mobius before I switched it to caps but in milder climes you might get by.

With your time restraints factored in I can't recommend any cheap cams to make do with if you're waiting for the new SG as my 'bargain choices' come from China and that shipping is slow so I'll let others chime in as I'm sure many will. And welcome to DCT :D

Phil

Street Guardian is very close to releasing a 2ch cam which will be much like you want, but there is no fixed date for that. The SG9665GC seems to hold up well in the heat based on many user reports here so I expect their new cam will do equally well ;)

I live in upstate SC where summers are pretty hot and all my cams stay permanently mounted. I do mount them out of the direct sunlight- that is important. Mobius, G1W-HC, and G1W-C all take this in stride so I believe that most of the better-quality cams would be OK too as long as they are also out of direct sunlight, but that can sometimes be hard to do with the wedge-shaped cams which 'hug' the windshield, plus those catch radiant heat from the windshield from being so close. Mine are all set back from the windows & windshield :) I did experience a battery failure in Mobius before I switched it to caps but in milder climes you might get by.

With your time restraints factored in I can't recommend any cheap cams to make do with if you're waiting for the new SG as my 'bargain choices' come from China and that shipping is slow so I'll let others chime in as I'm sure many will. And welcome to DCT :D

Phil

Do you think this this will be enough to protect a dashcam from direct sunlight? I should be able to mount a wedge shaped cam so that just the lens is below the UV blocker.

Where have you heard that Street Guardian is releasing a 2ch cam? I browsed their site and didn't find anything. Is this speculation or was it posted in some other thread?

Last edited:
Where have you heard that Street Guardian is releasing a 2ch cam? I browser their site and didn't find anything? Is this speculation or was it posted in some other thread?

we won't be putting it on our website until it's ready to go, all being well it's still probably 4 to 6 weeks away at this stage

we won't be putting it on our website until it's ready to go, all being well it's still probably 4 to 6 weeks away at this stage
Do you know about another site where I can found out the preliminary details?

edit: thanks for the link the the discussion thread Phil

Last edited:
Well as my memory serve me, i think it have been said that the new SG dual channel camera will not have parking mode from day #1
And furthermore it is not even sure if it will get it down the line, this i think is something to do with SDK support and SG not wanting to enable a half assed feature on their cameras.

Correct me if my memory have let me down again.

Well as my memory serve me, i think it have been said that the new SG dual channel camera will not have parking mode from day #1

correct, it's something we're looking to see if we can implement effectively or not, too early to say at this stage

Back