First day testing "Parking mode"

Whate video frame do you use on loop recording?

• Total voters

adisan

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I tested the camera in the house with a 6000 mAh external battery that pulls out 5V/1A. I tried the new “parking mode” and I have some questions. First of all, I do not really understand the difference between "parking mode" and "motion detection". From what I noticed the parking mode makes a lapse time by reducing the number of fps. But sometimes, in the parking mode, shooting starts when motion is detected, and stops after 40-50 seconds when no longer moving, but sometimes does not stop and record in loops (whether or not someone moves in front of the camera, but with the selected 15 fps. The "motion detection" function works better, it stops motion when the camera no longer senses movement. Another problem is that the G sensor (at full sensitivity) is not ... so sensitive. You need a relatively strong shock to record your alert. I can see that the shooting in this situation is saved in DCIM / Movie / RO. Maybe it could be possible in the future that when you stop the car (when you do not move from the position), to automatically switch to "parking mode " and and automatically switch to normal shooting mode when starting to drive(move) the car…

Is this using an A119 dashcam?

Yes, A119 with latest beta firmware A119_170606_V3.1B

Oh okay. I wasn't aware there was a beta version. I have the current 2.06 and I didn't have a parking option.

As for the G-Sensor, I have yet to find anyone that finds that really useful.

Some interesting updates.
I agree...

A new beta software for viofo a119, first for our fans on Facebook. We are most interested in feedback from you about how parking lot. Details about this firmware a119_ 170606 _ v3. 1 B:
- based on the latest sdk from novatek, firmware has reached version 3
- firmware for a119s will launch as soon as the software for a119 passed the tests
- added and improved parking mode
- decreased sensitivity to motion detection was too sensitive, previous setting
- fixed issue with screensaver during motion detection
- video protection against type event makes automatic deletion and previous video if he pressed the event within the first 15 seconds of video loop
- even with the screen turned off the recording can stop by pressing the button directly to the rec and starting / stopping volume button small. He used to need two pumps, one for lighting up the screen and the other for the function button pressed
-Another sound button menu that saves instantaneous from filming in the form of photos
-No more GPS data stored inside videos if GPS is disabled from the room. Before, although it was not shown on the screen, the GPS data were saved and accessible on the computer with special programs

After a few more tests, I can say that parking mode is working pretty fine. 7 gb used in 5 hours with 15 fps with frequent detection movements in front of camera. Almost 50% of external battery used in 7 hours.
Does anyone have an idea if the recorded video will be ok if the camera will be mounted at a distance of 5-6 centimeters behind the windshield, while using CPL?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea if the recorded video will be ok if the camera will be mounted at a distance of 5-6 centimeters behind the windshield, while using CPL?

This varies. Closer is ideal as you risk more problems with dash reflections the further back you go, but you might find no problems with the extra distance. My front cam (a different one with no CPL) does well being about 10cm away from the windshield under all conditions. I have some dash reflections but not enough to reduce image quality below a level I can accept. I had similar experiences with a different cam in another car, though it's reflections were a bit worse.

Only by trying can you know what you will get and whether it is good enough for you ;)

Phil

Thanks. Already installed. As you said, there are reflections. I have to see while driving if they are so disturbing...
For hardwiring (parking mode), as I've read on https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/guide-parked-recording-dash-cameras#lightbox/5/, instead of:
http://www.viofo.com/accessories/19...mini-usb-compatible-with-g1w-g1w-c-a118c.html (voltage cut-off at 11.6V, I already have it),
I'd better use:
http://vicovation.ro/produse/vico-power-plus/ (voltage cut-off at 12,2-12,4V)
Which should I use? I think 11,6V would be a too little voltage for starting engine, especially in winter...

Last edited:
Hi There,

I also updated to the beta firmware.

Nice to have the parking mode, but would be a nice feature if the parking mode would automatically start based on for example 5 minutes no movement for example. I can't explain to my wife to switch it to parking mode and back to normal mode every time she is using the car.

12V will usually start a car, but running a car starting battery that low will shorten it's service life :( 12.4V is the recommended minimum for best battery life but that usually means little recording time. 12.2V seems to be the sweet spot giving good battery life and reasonably long recording time. I'd start there and see what you get ;)

Phil

I’ve tested on external battery in my car. After 6 minutes of parking, camera it automatically enters the parking mode and it remains. Even if it starts recording when detects any motion, it still shoots at low fps (time lapse, parking mode), it does not go normally to 60 fps. I do not know what happens to the impact or activation of the G sensor. It could change recording on 60 fps (a shock like closing a door; anyway it depends on sensibility setting for G-sensor).

I’ve tested on external battery in my car. After 6 minutes of parking, camera it automatically enters the parking mode and it remains. Even if it starts recording when detects any motion, it still shoots at low fps (time lapse, parking mode), it does not go normally to 60 fps. I do not know what happens to the impact or activation of the G sensor. It could change recording on 60 fps (a shock like closing a door; anyway it depends on sensibility setting for G-sensor).
If detect impact by the G-sensor, it will enter to the normal recording instead of time-lapse recording.

Hi There,

I also updated to the beta firmware.

Nice to have the parking mode, but would be a nice feature if the parking mode would automatically start based on for example 5 minutes no movement for example. I can't explain to my wife to switch it to parking mode and back to normal mode every time she is using the car.
You can keep the parking mode turned on, the camera enter to the parking mode after no motion and vibration after 90s.

I can confirm now, for everyone interested, that Mio Smartbox II (in my opinion the best wiring kit as function related to price) really did the job of cutting-off voltage at selected value (in my case 12,2V). Also Samsung microSDXC EVO+ is a very compatible card, not only Transcend, but I DO NOT recommend Kingston (got multiple errors). Tested for more than 3 days, 24/24h.

Back