First file time stamp shows 2006

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
So I've had a few days to play with the 0806, and so far, I've found no major glitches.

Two things that could use improvement/explanation:

1) The GPS path shown in the Registrator Viewer regularly goes from red to grey (with the corresponding arrow turning into a circle as it plays back). During the grey intervals, the GPS data shows a (?) ahead of the coordinate info. In only lasts a second or two, and happens about every 20-30 seconds. The GPS speed and coordinates that are stamped on the video continue to update, or at least do not glitch out with 000's or other obvious errors.

2) On one camera (the front view), the first file written has a file time/date of something in 2006. The actual time stamp on the video is correct. By the time the second clip starts to record (3 min later), the GPS has locked, and the file date/time is accurate. The consequence of this is that when Registrator Viewer 'groups' the clips, it ignores the first one. It's there, and I can manually add it, but it's annoying.

Problem 1 seems to be happening on all four cameras. My vehicles have metallic tint (including the windshield), so I'm thinking that may be interfering with the signal. I just ordered this GPS repeater antenna system to see if that doesn't improve the reception.

Problem 2 appears to be happening on just the front camera.

Problem 1 seems to be happening on all four cameras. My vehicles have metallic tint (including the windshield), so I'm thinking that may be interfering with the signal. I just ordered this GPS repeater antenna system to see if that doesn't improve the reception..

You do have a lot of toys. :)

The gaps in Registrator Viewer are due to poor signal, metallic tint will do that

If date resets all the time though that's a hardware issue, warranty time

Problem 2 appears to be happening on just the front camera.
How long will that one record for using just the internal battery?

I guess your gps repeater will work - let us know the outcome.

Alright, this is strange. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the Registrator Viewer. The '2006' file date is not actually correct. It's listed as 2006 in the file list within the viewer, but the windows file explorer shows all files have the correct created/modified dates - both video files and gps log files.

Have a look at the 'properties' of the suspect file using the properties dialog box within RV:

2015-08-01_15-05-52.jpg
What's also odd is it now did it to the video file of another camera.

I thought RV would only pull in the files of whatever directory it's in (including sub-dirs) - but it now appears to be pulling in videos on all of the µSD cards currently connected to my PC. Strange.

In case you need another option, I'm using a Mac with Dashcam Viewer and I absolutely love it and it's interface.
http://dashcamviewer.com

Plus, the developer routinely updates the software. Well worth the $15 fee.

I just gave the demo a go. After installing, I pointed it to the SD card folders and files. It found them, and then all I got was a black screen. I clicked next, and it went from 1/5 to 2/5. It populated the correct file date/name/time, but nothing displayed. I may have lots of toys, but one thing I lack is patience. I already installed it. Won't spend $15 for a program that won't work for me on the evaluation level. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

I really like RV. It provides all the details I need, it's clean, small, and runs as an executable (doesn't require installation, and you can put a copy of it on any SD card to run it directly from the card). I just don't understand where it's getting the 2006 data. Even the file attributes show the correct time and date. The meta data is correct. Seems to be a bug. Nothing the camera appears to be doing wrong. So long as the video is there, and I can manually add it to the finished compilation, I'm ok.

Regarding Dashcam Viewer, it must be a Windows issue as the Mac version seems very stable and works great.

Dashcam Viewer cannot play the full res that the 0806 creates you have to lower the res a bit for it to work, it will be a great product once it can handle the full res :)

John

Alright, this is strange. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the Registrator Viewer. The '2006' file date is not actually correct. It's listed as 2006 in the file list within the viewer, but the windows file explorer shows all files have the correct created/modified dates - both video files and gps log files.

Have a look at the 'properties' of the suspect file using the properties dialog box within RV:

View attachment 15604
What's also odd is it now did it to the video file of another camera.

I thought RV would only pull in the files of whatever directory it's in (including sub-dirs) - but it now appears to be pulling in videos on all of the µSD cards currently connected to my PC. Strange.

I've seen this a lot with my modified 0803. Since I have a super cap installed I sometimes will loose GPS sync and the first file of the trip shows up like this. Once the GPS syncs, all is fine again. Are those files the start of a trip (ignition on)?

I've seen this a lot with my modified 0803. Since I have a super cap installed I sometimes will loose GPS sync and the first file of the trip shows up like this. Once the GPS syncs, all is fine again. Are those files the start of a trip (ignition on)?

Yes, and it seems to 'float' from one camera to another. Sometimes it's the forward facing one, other times, none will do it, and yet other times, it'll be a side or rear camera. But in each case, it's always the first 3min segment (presumably before GPS has a lock).

What I don't understand is that everything about the file in question indicates the correct date and time. The time stamp on the video itself shows the correct time and date - as does the file explorer properties which show correct modified and created time/dates. This is the case for all GPS files and MOV files.

It's as though Registrator Viewer is pulling the time/date info from some other obscure part of the file which isn't viewable by the user.

I'm pretty sure Registrator Viewer is pulling the data from the data inside the files which is written by the GPS. Where as the time & date of the files is written by the real-time clock of the 080*. I could be wrong but I think this is why the files look correct until you view the data.

Back