first hit for my mini 0805

Stephen Greenslade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my mini 0805 a few months ago for recording journeys, but, after a few mysterious scratches appeared on my car's bodywork, decided to see if the mini 0805 could be employed as a parking guard.

With the help of a 13 000 mAH portable battery pack (for mobile phones) and a 128 GB microSD card, I got this:

https://youtu.be/B3jMJTKBir8

Ugh. Lowlife.
Doesn't look like you can get a sharp image of her face, but might be enough to identify her if she's found. Might be worth viewing original in VLC and playing with the gamma setting?

Check who wears same hear-cut and clothes from that building.

take some screenshots, print them out and put them up in the foyer of the building, alternatively go door knocking and alert the neighbors, you'll meet her eventually

Do you know this woman? An "ex" perhaps? Can you identify her from the video? I hope so. Maybe @niko's suggestion will be useful.

I am wondering why you chose to place the camera where you did, as it prevents you from clearly capturing the culprit on camera. I'm guessing the idea was to capture the sides and rear with one camera.

At this point in my more than 5 year dash cam "career" I now use 4 cameras facing out the front, back and sides of my vehicle powered by two beefy battery packs while away from my vehicle providing nearly full 360º coverage. If an incident like this should occur I would have good actionable evidence against the perpetrator. Perhaps it's something to consider for the future if you find you are still being vandalized.

Anyway, I do hope you can use this video to gain some justice and a satisfactory outcome.

Let's hope your "First Hit" is your last one.

P.S. I like @jokiin's suggestion, although I might ask the neighbors first before posting any photos publicly. With a better positioned camera you may be able to identify this person the next time they come near your vehicle even if they don't do anymore damage, so I think it's best not to "spill the beans" that you have a surveillance camera in your car just yet.

Welcome to the forum, Stephen!

Ouch, that hurt just by listening to it! If there was a way, I would wire that 13A battery pack to the body of the car so that the next time she did that, she'd be in for a shocking surprise.

haha! Thanks for the replies and great suggestions. I can't say too much about the actual incident as the lady inadvisedly returned 15 minutes after to finish the job, I spotted her, called the police and she was arrested around 30 minutes later.

I have just ordered 1 more camera (mini0806, this time) which I intended to put into the rear tailgate window facing inwards. Dashmellow's suggestion has given me food for thought though with 4 cameras giving 360° protection; just wondering how much time I will spend managing the power needs!

Do you know this woman? An "ex" perhaps? Can you identify her from the video? I hope so. Maybe @niko's suggestion will be useful.

I am wondering why you chose to place the camera where you did, as it prevents you from clearly capturing the culprit on camera. I'm guessing the idea was to capture the sides and rear with one camera.

At this point in my more than 5 year dash cam "career" I now use 4 cameras facing out the front, back and sides of my vehicle powered by two beefy battery packs while away from my vehicle providing nearly full 360º coverage. If an incident like this should occur I would have good actionable evidence against the perpetrator. Perhaps it's something to consider for the future if you find you are still being vandalized.

Anyway, I do hope you can use this video to gain some justice and a satisfactory outcome.

Let's hope your "First Hit" is your last one.

P.S. I like @jokiin's suggestion, although I might ask the neighbors first before posting any photos publicly. With a better positioned camera you may be able to identify this person the next time they come near your vehicle even if they don't do anymore damage, so I think it's best not to "spill the beans" that you have a surveillance camera in your car just yet.
+1

...she was arrested around 30 minutes later...
Let us know what punishment she receives, I don't think cases like this often get to court with good evidence of what happened...

I think most people would happily throw her in jail for a month but I suspect it will be more like 10 hours community service.

Obviously you are entitled to the cost of repairs which may be a huge amount but actually getting the money out of her may not be so easy, your insurance company may not even bother to try...

Yes.... will update when done and dusted. An admission was made so that should speed things up. I am fascinated (and sickened) by people who feel the need to key cars and what they feel it achieves. Can't get my head around it at all...

In reply to Dashmellow's earlier question, yes, the positioning was in order to try to catch as much activity as possible with a single camera. Obviously, pointing directly outwards would be preferable, but could only monitor a person approaching from a single direction. Looking at ways to optimise the coverage without placing too much of an overhead in terms of day to day management....

like people say..
she will only get a slap on the wrist, maybe a fine of £120 plus £ court fee..

Its more fitting to release the video to her place of work so they know what a ++++ they employ .

Yes.... will update when done and dusted. An admission was made so that should speed things up. I am fascinated (and sickened) by people who feel the need to key cars and what they feel it achieves. Can't get my head around it at all...
I suspect it gives them a feeling of power over others, best to treat them as having a mental problem, thankfully it is quite rare although we do hear about it quite often because of the effect it has on the victims, not nice.

In reply to Dashmellow's earlier question, yes, the positioning was in order to try to catch as much activity as possible with a single camera. Obviously, pointing directly outwards would be preferable, but could only monitor a person approaching from a single direction. Looking at ways to optimise the coverage without placing too much of an overhead in terms of day to day management....
Remember that the sound recording is very good evidence of what happened, you don't need a view of it happening, just to identify them when approaching the car and then the sound following with the correct timing.

I have just ordered 1 more camera (mini0806, this time) which I intended to put into the rear tailgate window facing inwards. Dashmellow's suggestion has given me food for thought though with 4 cameras giving 360° protection; just wondering how much time I will spend managing the power needs!

My vehicle has two side by side 12v cigarette lighter sockets into which I plug two Anker 24W 4.8 amp dual port USB chargers. My 4 cameras are wired with two ten foot and two 15 foot USB-A to mini-B cables from Monoprice. (available on Amazon UK) This works well with all cameras I've tried them with. When away from my vehicle, sometimes for many hours, I have two dual USB port lithium battery banks I plug the cameras into (with 2.1. amp and 1 amp ports). Works great. It takes about thirty seconds or less to unplug the cameras from their 12V-5V Anker chargers and plug them into the battery banks. It's really no big deal. One of these days when I have some time I may well hard wire my cameras with a battery protection device but I've been doing it this way for almost a year and a half and have no complaints.

car charger.png usbcable.png bank.jpg

For side or rear cameras nothing beats the Mobius cams for reliability, stealthiness, configurability and price. (they all have the super-capacitor option) I've been experimenting with a customized G1WH for several months and that works quite well too. I've also used an 0806 as a side cam and this too is a good option but has more features than one really needs in a side or rear camera and has no super-capacitor option. (The side cameras are behind dark factory tinted glass and therefore fairly stealthy.) At any rate, at this point I wouldn't be without the side cams or rear cam.

Here is an example from one of the side cams (customized G1W-H) in a parking lot setting at a shopping center while I'm away from my vehicle.

side-view.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dashmellow's for sharing your setup; I think I'm going to do something along this lines. Ideally, I would install something with zero touch, but that means getting into complex split charge arrangements. Your approach seems like a good pragmatic compromise.

Good to hear she was caught...in cases of vandalism like this if they can't pay their valuables should be sold off to the value of the fine and repairs.

Yes...had to make it private for the moment. The perpetrator declined to accept a conditional caution last week, so this may go to court if the CPS assesses there is sufficient evidence and it's in the public interest. She remains on bail.

if ... it's in the public interest.
I am a member of the public. And I have an interest in seeing people like this dealt with, not let off so they and others are encouraged to continue with this despicable behaviour.

Yes...had to make it private for the moment. The perpetrator declined to accept a conditional caution last week, so this may go to court if the CPS assesses there is sufficient evidence and it's in the public interest. She remains on bail.

Evidently she got legal advice and they want her to backtrack and hope for a No Further Action. Here's hoping that doesn't happen!

I love the idea of powering the camera as you have. I thought about doing that so my wife could charge her vaporiser battery on the go - never occurred to me to power a dashcam in that way.

Yes...quite a reasonable gamble on her part...looks 50-50 whether it will go to court at the moment. Weirdly, she did admit to 'attempting' to key the car, but 'it didn't work' (the hell it didn't!!). That is apparently a criminal offence too.

So now I've got two dashcams facing out to get better quality and 4 power packs. Each power pack powers 1 dashcam for at least 12 hours (haven't done a full test yet...reckon they may be good for 24 hours at a stretch), with the spares on charge. I may put in something more permanent when I get time with the power packs set up to recharge from the ignition circuit so I don't have to keep swapping out the packs manually.

Back