dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
This camera was provided for review by GearBest.com. Xie Xie! (About the limit of my Mandarin)
1436144805104-P-2793452.jpg

GearBest.com currently has a coupon code on the Papago GoSafe 110. Enter coupon code GS110 at checkout to get this camera, with free shipping, for $69.99. (US)
Coupon Price: $69.99

Main Features:
Compact and intelligent design with 2 inch LCD display
Record HD 720P high resolution video
HD 1.3 Mega Pixel image sensor
126 degree wide viewing angle(FOV)
Ambarella A7LA30 chip
Cycle recording allows old file to be replaced automatically with new files
Auto turn on when car engine is on
HDMI output supports HDTV playback
Motion detection mode: Detect motion and record video when parking
Active car safety system such as stop and go, driver fatigue alarm, lighting reminder
Support low and high temperature protection
Supports external storage up to 32GB TF Card (not included in the package)

(Cut and pasted from the Gearbest page)

This is a camera I'll play with over the next few weeks, including a few weeks of use in a tractor trailer.

Initial impressions? It's 'OK'. It has some features I don't need, or aren't likely to use.
I'm not a fan of 'proprietary' mounts, I'd rather see a standard tripod threaded hole for the mount.
The 'slot' mounting attachment seems solid, and it takes some effort to mount or dismount the camera.
My camera arrived with an adhesive mount with a reasonable amount of adjustment.

The manual is 95% Chinese language. I'll be fumbling with the camera for the next few days to see what I need to change, what features are useful, etc.

I formatted a spare card and mounted the camera in my Pickup to use the next few days, and the following video is before I bothered to try to figure out how to access the menu, and set the date/time. (Not so hard once I tried)

I'll try to make some 'how to' videos with explanations of how to access the menu, and set features when I get a chance.

Video seems OK, for 720p. The resolution will probably eliminate this camera for 'enthusiasts', but we will see how reliable and functional this camera is in daily use. It may be a good first cam, or a camera for somebody just wanting some protection, not an avocation. :)

box1.jpg

The mount that was included, below.

mount.jpg

Size comparison, Left to Right: Mobius Wide Angle, A118-C, HP F200, Papago GS 110.

size.jpg

The Papago is probably 'middle of the pack' in the 'discrete' arena. If you are paranoid, a few careful minutes with a black magic marker will cover up the Logo! and you could probably make the lens surround look a bit more stealth.

The included power cord has an inline transformer, with a tiny LED in it.

power.jpg

Standard 'Mini' USB plug, so will use a different USB power connection in my truck, (From a 12v USB Adapter 'hub')

power2.jpg

The GS 110 is in the same price range of the A118-C, and Mobius, both of which are reliable, and produce decent 1080p video. This GS 110 is a capacitor version.

During my first short drive with the GS110, (Before I checked the settings) the camera beeped at strange times. Later I figured out the beeps were due to some of the 'safety' features being set as default to 'ON'. (Turned off now, but may play with them later.)

There is a 'format' reminder option, and you can set the interval.

Build quality? OK. Not obviously awful, but it's still a sub-$100 (US) plastic bodied dash cam.

Last edited:
Accessing the setup menu and settings is done by pushing the third button from the left.

settings.jpg

Then you can scroll through the setting menu

setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

setup3.jpg

setup4.jpg

I mention this because it's not so obvious, due to a non-english language manual.
:)

Last edited:
I've been using this dashcam in my pickup truck for the last week.
The basic functions seem to be easy to use, once you figure out how to negotiate the menu.
The process to save a file, via pressing the far left button seems to work OK.

You'll get two confirmation beeps, and the LED on the top of the unit, driver side, will flash red, instead of being a solid red when the camera is recording.
(While booting up or accessing the menu, or accessing the card with the camera plugged into the USB port of a computer, it's green)

The saved files will be in the 'event' folder on the card.

Overall, the camera has been reliable, and easy to use. The video seems decent for the 720p resolution.

Trying the Papago! GoSafe 110 in the truck for a few weeks.
Here's some more sample video, complete with real life bug splats on the windshield.

Tried the motion detection mode while parked overnight to see what would trigger it.
Did not see any video triggered by a nearby pedestrian, but there probably weren't many.

Edited: Yes, will pick up a pedestrian in front of the camera, 10-12 feet away.

Last edited:
I've been using the motion detection mode while parked overnight. I'm just curious about the possibility of some protection in extended parking situations.
Battery capacity is not an issue in most big trucks for a few day period. :)
The only advantage is card space preservation, as opposed to running the cam normally.

I wasn't expecting much from the motion detection.

Still not sure how useful this is, unless you park your car in the driveway and want to see what time your teenaged daughter really comes home at night.

When fuel prices go back up maybe I can catch the jerks who park next to me, want to siphon fuel, removed the fuel filler cap, and then notice the anti-siphon screen in the filler tube. They usually leave the cap off, and walk away.

I have not been around truck stops a lot, but I am sure over time some interesting video would be recorded :eek: It would be nice to have a recording and have some type of audio device go off at the same time for the would be moron gas thief!

I may be changing trucks soon, so hate to get too elaborate with the cams, but coverage on the drivers side would occasionally show some toothless crack....uh.......'lady', banging on the door at 3 am. (followed by me screaming every curse word I know....)

I may be changing trucks soon, so hate to get too elaborate with the cams, but coverage on the drivers side would occasionally show some toothless crack....uh.......'lady', banging on the door at 3 am. (followed by me screaming every curse word I know....)
I guess it really is like in the movies o_O

Back to the dash cam. It's working reliably. It's been running 24/7 in the truck for 4.5 days now.

One quirk is there is no way to adjust the video segment length.
You just have the default 5-ish minutes. This is not a big deal, I'm just used to having some options. :)

Other than occasional card formatting, (for which there is reminder prompt you can set for 15/30/60 days) this is a pretty basic, 'set and almost forget' camera.
The video quality is a little better than I expected. Will have to drag out the old 720P dinosaur to compare it to. :)

Here's a compilation of 4 cars passing, in no passing zones, from the Papago GS110.

The GS 110 has been working well in the truck, running 24/7, for about ten days.
I've been in heat as high as 98F, and the truck was parked in this heat for an extended period.
I cooked. It didn't. :)

This is a decent basic cam that is proving to be reliable.

The video above is from I-20 in West Texas. Not sure what triggered the rollover, but guess the backed up traffic on the other side may have been a distraction. (they had the westbound lanes detouring due to some surveying!)
I had to add the music due to the real nasty sounds of my truck driving on the rumble strip to avoid the wreck and debris. You can still see the vibration..though. :)

Just an update, the Papago GoSafe 110 has run 24/7 in a tractor trailer for 22 days, and over 9200 miles.

No problems, no glitches.

The coupon code (GS110) at gearbest.com is still good at this writing, for a price of $69.99.

This is a decent, basic dash cam that will serve the purposes of most new users.

Last edited:
Gearbest has the GS110 for $47.40, with free shipping.
This is a good price for a pretty pleasant, reliable, and easy to use dash cam.
This is a good starter or basic dash cam.

Back