First OBD WiFi GPS Smart Black SBH-100 2ch? dash cam DVR

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
World first Smart dash camera with OBD, WiFi and GPS from Spire Technologies Ltd.

Design reminds a Finevu CR-500HD

News info from here:

http://www.navinside.com/bbs/view.php?i ... asc&no=894

Manufacturer website:

http://www.for-smart.co.kr/

Product info:

http://www.for-smart.co.kr/sub_blackbox.asp

It's look like this dash camera has 2ch option of using rear camera recording as well:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... authuser=0

Korean user manula ( PDF ) available:

There are 3 types of OBD: ( OBD, OBD-100, OBD-200 )

http://www.for-smart.co.kr/sub_obd.asp
http://www.for-smart.co.kr/sub_obd_100.asp
http://www.for-smart.co.kr/sub_obd_200.asp

At the moment OBD supports only certain car makes / models :

Unit price is 450'000 won , approx 400 usd.
I guess its without OBD and rear camera ? , but I might be wrong.

If look into Accessories option, OBD and rear camera has separate price.

http://www.for-smart.co.kr/sub_shop.asp

Rear camera cost 57usd

Truly expensive gadget, but it's probably because of being World first Smart OBD WiFi dash cam.
All innovations at the beginning cost fortune, but with a time of course we will be able to see price drop, especially when other competitors will be releasing dash cams with same technology.
OBD price 70usd

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 434
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 432
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 434
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 434
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 433
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 434
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 433
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 434
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be watching this with interest as OBD integration is something we're looking into for a future model

$400? I'll use my smartphone and $10 OBD2 bluetooth dongle to record video with OBD2 info, thank you very much.

Swordfish said:
$400? I'll use my smartphone and $10 OBD2 bluetooth dongle to record video with OBD2 info, thank you very much.

I agree with Swordfish, it is way too pricey for wide market buyer.
If my assumptions are correct that 400usd is main unit with wifi, and rear camera + OBD WiFi dongle coming as an extra, then total will be around 530usd !?
Also I assume that rear camera is only VGA .

These days good Korean front dash camera 720p cost 100usd ( Livue ), rear VGA on its own is around 15-20usd, wifi dongle 3-5usd, OBD dongle 10usd, total should be around 130 usd for those specs they are promising here.
OK, lets say adding some extra 20-30 usd for main camera form factor development and slightly advanced hardware which processed WiFi and Bluetooth / WiFi OBD.
Also we can add 25-30usd / per each device for special all-in-one software development which handles all those tasks.
And lets say 50usd for know-how factor being world first OBD WiFi dash cam.
In total I have It is about 250-270usd would be fair price for this gadget set at the moment, but not double money as they ask.

But as always being pioneer in any industry and coming out with something special and unique, - you can always dictate price until some other competitor will come up with something similar.

Something vehicle manufacturers need to start doing is SEVERAL OBDII ports under the dash instead of just the one that is ALWAYS placed in an extremely annoying place.

Having the camera plugged into my OBDII port would interfere with my ScanGauge II.

Something must be done about this!!!

WhiteEightBall said:
Having the camera plugged into my OBDII port would interfere with my ScanGauge II.

there may come a time when the same functionality of the ScanGauge is in the camera anyway though

WhiteEightBall said:
Something vehicle manufacturers need to start doing is SEVERAL OBDII ports under the dash instead of just the one that is ALWAYS placed in an extremely annoying place.

Why not try a "OBD II splitter cable"?

:lol: I was being lazy and not doing my research again. :oops:

Can I ask why you would want to link the camera to the OBD?

sludgeguts said:
Can I ask why you would want to link the camera to the OBD?
For me dash cam with OBD linkage option is useless, but for sure there is a point in this. I think at this time "jokiin" can replay with most informative answer.

Jokiin can probably answer in much more detail, though I'll give it a shot.

OBDII connection can provide much more accurate representation of the speed and other driving conditions provided by the vehicle. Such as RPM, air intake tempurature, which on average at speed will be 2 - 3 degrees F higher than ambient temps. Some accidents can occure because of a vehicle malfunction. If recorded by the cam, it can provide an on the second eye witness to the exact vehicle condition(s) that were present.

On a fleet vehicle this can be extremely useful. Though, can be very incriminating as well to the drivers if they abuse the vehicles.

Just a thought.

vehicle data could be overlaid, engine speed, temp, fuel economy etc, some people like to keep this data anyway and having it tied to the video data could be of interest to those types of people, it's not for everyone of course

the type of ODB interface I was referring to also has Satellite tracking, GEO fencing, can disable the vehicle remotely, that kind of thing, it's not just for data collection

Ahhh, right. I see.
I have a bluetooth OBD plug thingy. I thought it'd be a good way of seeing my speed more accurately than my dash - which only shows 20, 40, 60, 80mph - and, of course, here in the UK, speed limits tend to be mostly 30, 50 or 70mph - not very easy to read on my dash.
But what I have noticed is the distinct differences between the dash, the OBD, the satnav and my tacho.
Best noted at motorway speeds, my works vehicle has a limiter fitted - this is set to 100kph.
Flat out, my tacho will read 100, the satnav will read 62mph (62.14 is 100kph) but the speedo and OBD will read 68 - in fact, my record was 75mph on the dash - not bad when the satnav says 62!

If it's something that some people might want, then fair enough, however, I do feel it needs to be offered as an additional item rather than an all inclusive package otherwise it pushes the price up so high as to make the whole package a real luxury item.

sludgeguts said:
Ahhh, right. I see.
I have a bluetooth OBD plug thingy. I thought it'd be a good way of seeing my speed more accurately than my dash - which only shows 20, 40, 60, 80mph - and, of course, here in the UK, speed limits tend to be mostly 30, 50 or 70mph - not very easy to read on my dash.
But what I have noticed is the distinct differences between the dash, the OBD, the satnav and my tacho.
Best noted at motorway speeds, my works vehicle has a limiter fitted - this is set to 100kph.
Flat out, my tacho will read 100, the satnav will read 62mph (62.14 is 100kph) but the speedo and OBD will read 68 - in fact, my record was 75mph on the dash - not bad when the satnav says 62!

If it's something that some people might want, then fair enough, however, I do feel it needs to be offered as an additional item rather than an all inclusive package otherwise it pushes the price up so high as to make the whole package a real luxury item.

With this dash cam here OBD device is as an optional accessory.

I always had a desire to make my own OBD/CAN logger/dashcam using something like an Arduino.

The amount of accidents caused by people not indicating, or slamming their brakes on when unnecessary is huge. By having an overlay on the cam of indicator status, brake status, throttle %age, brake %age, gear selected, engine RPM etc (all available from most modern cars via the CANbus), it would give much greater credence to people involved in accidents where the other driver says stuff like "well you obviously weren't indicating" or "why did you slam your brakes on???".

It would be easy to implement - have a subchannel that is time-keyed to the main video recording the vehicle parameters, then replay that on a GUI to show the information. It could easily be encoded onto a video for submission to the authorities or insurance company ensuring that it is untampered with and as such submissible as evidence.

The difficult part would be obtaining the CAN codes for stuff like the LH/RH indicator, brakes etc. from all different vehicle manufacturers. That is, unless there is some sort of standardisation for this, but I don't think there is. Basic OBD codes are standardised however that is really only useful for reading ECU error codes or basic livedata information (coolant temp, o2 sensor voltage - the stuff that really isn't relevant to this kind of product).

Jokiin - would this be the kind of product you were considering producing?

Mr-H said:
I always had a desire to make my own OBD/CAN logger/dashcam using something like an Arduino.

The amount of accidents caused by people not indicating, or slamming their brakes on when unnecessary is huge. By having an overlay on the cam of indicator status, brake status, throttle %age, brake %age, gear selected, engine RPM etc (all available from most modern cars via the CANbus), it would give much greater credence to people involved in accidents where the other driver says stuff like "well you obviously weren't indicating" or "why did you slam your brakes on???".

It would be easy to implement - have a subchannel that is time-keyed to the main video recording the vehicle parameters, then replay that on a GUI to show the information. It could easily be encoded onto a video for submission to the authorities or insurance company ensuring that it is untampered with and as such submissible as evidence.

The difficult part would be obtaining the CAN codes for stuff like the LH/RH indicator, brakes etc. from all different vehicle manufacturers. That is, unless there is some sort of standardisation for this, but I don't think there is. Basic OBD codes are standardised however that is really only useful for reading ECU error codes or basic livedata information (coolant temp, o2 sensor voltage - the stuff that really isn't relevant to this kind of product).

Jokiin - would this be the kind of product you were considering producing?

I agree with you of all this OBD data being very useful info to prove to the public that you are innocent, but biggest challenge will be certifying that device into each country law system. It will take a lot of time, money and paperworks to make it legit and acceptable in court. Without this it is "useless proof"

Mr-H said:
The amount of accidents caused by people not indicating, or slamming their brakes on when unnecessary is huge. By having an overlay on the cam of indicator status, brake status, throttle %age, brake %age, gear selected, engine RPM etc (all available from most modern cars via the CANbus), it would give much greater credence to people involved in accidents where the other driver says stuff like "well you obviously weren't indicating" or "why did you slam your brakes on???"

However, if every country made a law requiring every vehicle to be fitted with a dashcam...
It's not like it is out of the reach of people - if you can afford to drive...
Some of 'yesterday's' "good" cams are today's mediocre cams - yet they are still good enough and their prices have come down.

There have been a couple of cases in the UK where the information logged on a car's computer has been used against a driver to prove they were speeding/racing.
There have also been cases where a driver's mobile phone provider had to give up records which not only showed that the phone was being used whilst the car was being driven (I think police had footage as well), but that their data also tallied with the police dashcam showing the car to have been driven at speeds (100mph+).
And, on some of the car forums I have read about posters complaining about a particular manufacturer not honouring their warranty. It seems like they get a new car on finance, often with insurance included. they then rag the car - showing off to their mates? And when the car doesn't perform so well, they find the company won't fix the fault under warranty as the car's computer shows it hasn't been driven 'nicely'.

Whilst some might find it useful to log this info on a camera, I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be easier to log this info another way? There is the torque app I use, I wonder if this could be added to so that all info being sent to it was logged in files much like the cameras do? Are we asking a camera to do too many tasks?

Back