First snowfall of the year and accident to go along with it.

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Witnessed an accident on today's trip home. Numerous cars driving as if its a summer day.

You're right, they drive like it is good conditions. Unfortunelty, they learnt the hard way. I wonder if they may have contacted with another vehicle and were doing a runner ?

Never seen anything like that. I doubt they would get very far driving in that direction and in those conditions.

Didn't think of including video from older camera last night. Got it this morning. More narrow lens.

I believe there is condensation in the lens.

Never seen anything like that. I doubt they would get very far driving in that direction and in those conditions.

Looking at my rear view mirror, the Matrix eventually came to a complete stop in the left shoulder. I really got to order a rear dash cam.

Edit: What I learned about this incident and the incident last month. I should have my phone connected to my USB charger as it keeps it unlocked and have it connected to the Blue tooth before my wife arrive. Its my wife who called on her phone. Had she called on my phone, we both would have been able to talk to the 911 and OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) dispatchers.

Last edited:
We've had freezing conditions here, on Sunday I kept being knocked sideways in a tiny skid just by slush in the road! Luckily everyone in the area was going slow and keeping distance.

More worrying to me was later in the week. All the roads looked wet, even though there had been no recent rain or snow. There had been warnings of black ice, and I think it was on the verge of forming just about everywhere. But people were driving at full speed.

The odd thing I noticed was that tyre tracks are normally drier than the surrounding road, but on these days they were the wettest looking parts. That spooked me.

I suppose this is not a good place to complain about the 30 degree heat (86F) we had in Sydney today, and getting hotter during the week !!

Weather.JPG

We hit -5 this night and this morning at 8 ( 2.5 hours ago ) when i drove to the baker it was up to -2 and i again had to deice my car.
Seem like all day today and tomorrow will hover around 0 degrees + / - two degrees.

If i have to work in those Australian temperatures you dont get more than 30 - 40 min of my time every hour, and that seem okay at least on the ships i worked on, the engineers work even less, pretty much their hardest work is delegating as much work to me so there are less for them self.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/dk/randers/124595/weather-forecast/124595

Last edited:
Day off today (and tomorrow, hurrah.) Woke up at the crack of noon and saw it was still frosty outside. Went back to bed for a while. Days off are good.

I have recorded seven accidents, and for six of them a rear camera would have been useful. In only two cases did I have one functioning.

And another one fall prey to the dashcam bug :D
The rear camera on my two channel system died two weeks before a crazy accident. In response to that, I moved the mobius to back, used a few self made mounts to make it more discreet than the suction cup. As such, it appears I have I damaged it. Haven't got around to trying to fix it.

Edit (added "in response")

Witnessed an accident in October with my wife, who became aware we didn't have a rear camera. Demanded I order which I did that weekend. My ISP email and my yahoo email used to be linked to each other, but it seems unbeknownst to myself, they some how got disassociated with each other. So the email address I was using for both was only getting one email address and the one it was not getting was my the one I had use to create an Amazon account. There was a problem with my email of order of an a118c (credit card change that occurred in the summer) and I never saw the email.

All of that fixed, the email issues, the credit card issues and the fact of waiting close to means I get to order a A118-c2.

It will be on the rear of my SUV by the weekend.

Last edited:
I have recorded seven accidents, and for six of them a rear camera would have been useful. In only two cases did I have one functioning.

The rear camera on my two channel system died two weeks before a crazy accident. In response to that, I moved the mobius to back, used a few self made mounts to make it more discreet than the suction cup. As such, it appears I have I damaged it. Haven't got around to trying to fix it.

Edit (added "in response")

Witnessed an accident in October with my wife, who became aware we didn't have a rear camera. Demanded I order which I did that weekend. My ISP email and my yahoo email used to be linked to each other, but it seems unbeknownst to myself, they some how got disassociated with each other. So the email address I was using for both was only getting one email address and the one it was not getting was my the one I had use to create an Amazon account. There was a problem with my email of order of an a118c (credit card change that occurred in the summer) and I never saw the email.

All of that fixed, the email issues, the credit card issues and the fact of waiting close to means I get to order a A118-c2.

It will be on the rear of my SUV by the weekend.
be sure to turn OFF the g-sensor. every time i close the back door on my rav4 it triggers the g-sensor since the door is so heavy.

be sure to turn OFF the g-sensor. every time i close the back door on my rav4 it triggers the g-sensor since the door is so heavy.
I am going to connect to the cigarette lighter. The camer will be off when I close the door. I was thinking of turning on the G Sensor so if in accident, I can find the clip easier. However, I have the time synced between my front a119 and use the event key there. Even then, for events but not accidents, the front camera "emergency" (I feel event would be a better name for the key) will be the marker as when to get a clip at the back.

I had the motion sensor on my a119 very briefly. I have a v1 version that was shutting down. I found the motion sensor aggravated the problem further and most of the time it was it was a slight bump. I never bothered to turn it back on. Given my other camera's motion sensor was only good for pot holes and not always recording abrupt stops, I can't be bothered with g sensor. Even then, my mobius doesn't have a GPS or event key I usualy could find the clips I was looking for.

so given,I don't find the G sensor that useful, anyway - I may just leave it off.

I got my a118-c2 yesterday. Working on the home and haven't had the time to work with it in the car. I did take it out of the box and noticed the slightly different shape of the a118c vs the a119 in pictures and having one in my hand confirms. I did a proto test of the a119 in the rear of my Rav4, held it place with my hand with the ignition on to see if it went low enough to clear the frame of my rear window.

The mounts appear to be slightly thinner than on the a119 and the lens doesn't seem to lower as much.

How to you mount your a118 to the ceiling to the rav with clearing the window frame?

I got my a118-c2 yesterday. Working on the home and haven't had the time to work with it in the car. I did take it out of the box and noticed the slightly different shape of the a118c vs the a119 in pictures and having one in my hand confirms. I did a proto test of the a119 in the rear of my Rav4, held it place with my hand with the ignition on to see if it went low enough to clear the frame of my rear window.

The mounts appear to be slightly thinner than on the a119 and the lens doesn't seem to lower as much.

How to you mount your a118 to the ceiling to the rav with clearing the window frame?
I mounted it to the glass and ran the wire thru the rubber boot in the hinge. Unfortunately that's on the wrong side for the 12v socket so I actually just extended the + lead from the socket across and into the door, and connected my USB hardwire kit inside the door, and got ground in the door too, from the license plate light wire.

Once installed, it seems bulky up close but while driving it's no big deal.

Keep in mind that the a118 and a119 mounts are not interchangeable. They're similar, but not enough to fit.

Like you said , the 12 v is on the wrong side or I would try your way. There is a plastic latch on the ceiling that I may put the camera on. I used that latch when I was using the mobius. I have only one video that I uploaded with the mobius on that latch at the rear

Your way of having on the glass has the advantage of less glare less and less of the window frame. I going to try to get the lens just low enough that its hardly visible from the the rear.

Since the back glass is tinted (privacy glass) you can't see it from the outside unless you're right up close and know where to look. Not that big a deal trying to hide it in the back.

I'd take a pic for you but I'm out of state right now. Can try to take a pic of the a118 in the back of our Highlander which also has factory privacy glass if you want

Last edited:
I must admit the only thing that surprises me is that the accident wasn't the white van driver in the outer lane, travelling way too fast. I wouldn't want to be travelling over 20-30mph on that surface, and that's only because you can see black tarmac if you stay in the tracks and it's taking a lot of traffic so the black part should be ice free. However, stray off line and ......

One thing I noticed re-watching is the guy loses it under breaking. Hard to see how fast he was as he's too far ahead, but I get the impression from what I could see, he wasn't very fast but left braking too late, probably strayed a little off line and the rest is known. The red car in the middle lane braking after the accident, was way too fast and also had to brake late. He was a very lucky guy given how he stepped on the brake.

Since the back glass is tinted (privacy glass) you can't see it from the outside unless you're right up close and know where to look. Not that big a deal trying to hide it in the back.

I placed it on the top frame. The central ceiling option just does not work on the a118c, but it would on the a119. I haven't taken it for a run yet. We have the extended family Christmas party at my home this year. Tomorrow. Perhaps I will take photos of who I mounted it.

I must admit the only thing that surprises me is that the accident wasn't the white van driver in the outer lane, travelling way too fast. I wouldn't want to be travelling over 20-30mph on that surface, and that's only because you can see black tarmac if you stay in the tracks and it's taking a lot of traffic so the black part should be ice free. However, stray off line and ......

One thing I noticed re-watching is the guy loses it under breaking. Hard to see how fast he was as he's too far ahead, but I get the impression from what I could see, he wasn't very fast but left braking too late, probably strayed a little off line and the rest is known. The red car in the middle lane braking after the accident, was way too fast and also had to brake late. He was a very lucky guy given how he stepped on the brake.

I think the travelling distance , tires and manner in which people used the brakes contributed to who and who did not get in an accident. Even with snow tires on, I would keep more distance and I would press the brakes once pause and then break again. The matrix was probably sitting on the brakes causing it to the skid.

More cars have snow tires now, but I notice way more accidents. Because the cars aren't skidding and appear to handle the snow, drivers are taking too many chances. In that clip, I didn't have my snow tires on yet, got them on latter that week. You will notice I am much slower and keeping lots of room. If I had the snow tires on, perhaps I would go 5 kms per hour faster but still leave the same room.

I think that day, the news reported 30 accidents in two hours.

Me, I'm all ready for the snow :D I was just doing a test fit for a trip later on in the week.

chains.jpg

Back